Derek Boyko Named Vice President Of Communications

iommi

When a team has a longstanding history of poor relationship with the media and poor communication, you err on the side of history, not your devil's advocate position that they probably tried and Pegula is a moron and Berchtold suddenly became competent.

At a certain point in your professional life, and I truly hope you get there some day, you are not supposed to merely follow orders. Being a VP means you have a responsibility to the owner to tell him when he's making a mistake and convince him to do what's in the best interest of the franchise. A competent VP of Communications would be able to do this.

This isn't "erring" on the side of anything. This is making things up that you have no info on.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Berchtold make Whaley look foolish in that press conference?

No, certainly not. It would most likely have been Berchtolds decision to put Lynn out there before anyone else and then Whaley nearly a week after firing Rex instead of "getting out in front" of the firing.

It then would have most likely been Berchtold who got Pegula to give an interview to clear everything up.

Whaley giving crap answers is on Whaley. The order of events from a communications standpoint is on Berchtold. It could have been handled much better.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

This is definitely a very good sign. All the top level Wilson guys should have been gone when Pegula bought the team. Overdorf needs to go now too. Brandon seems like a pipe dream but I would do back flips if they canned his ass. Don't fool yourself, Brandon is a snake.

What kind of power, Kirby.

He basically has relayed the message from the Bills to the general public (since the Super Bowl years or earlier). Press conferences are his talking points and prep. Press releases are from his words. He was responsible for every message, press conference, press release and talking point that the Bills put out. He basically was in charge of the perception of the brand. He had a lot of power.

He basically has relayed the message from the Bills to the general public (since the Super Bowl years or earlier). Press conferences are his talking points and prep. Press releases are from his words. He was responsible for every message, press conference, press release and talking point that the Bills put out. He basically was in charge of the perception of the brand. He had a lot of power.

But according to Fire Chan, (i) you don't know any of that for a fact; and (ii) he's a fig leaf for Whaley (but see (i)).

I will say this, Berchtold is THE voice of everything coming from OBD. People think leak this or that and don't realize that every single message coming from OBD is Berchtold.

He isn't autonomous. His boss tells him what to say.

At least try to be less willfully ignorant. You put people in a position to do their best or you don't. Whether or not Pegula is a passable public speaker (he is not) he should have been out there because that's simply what teams do. Indulging his need to not be out in public did Pegula no favors and didn't help him at all.

Pegula decides when Pegula speaks. That should be so obvious that it should not be mentioned.....but you needed to see it mentioned.

Ridiculous point you are making.

I'm pretty certain Berchtold was one of the "old guard" that needed to be removed. Now he's a "special assistant" which probably really means, "we won't embarrass you by saying you're fired, and you have a few weeks to find another job."

I'm pretty certain Berchtold was one of the "old guard" that needed to be removed. Now he's a "special assistant" which probably really means, "we won't embarrass you by saying you're fired, and you have a few weeks to find another job."

so he's now in a cube in the basement at OBD, stammering around looking for the guy who stole his stapler? Edited by YoloinOhio

This is HUGE news. I do not know if people realize the power that Berchtold has had over there for a LONG time. This is very, very interesting.

He's part of the old guard who had little relationship with the new owner. What does it mean? Not much. It probably has to do with modernizing the organization and management style. Weeding out the old guard is a normal process when new ownership takes over.

How much does this do with the product on the field? Absolutely nothing. Pegula's focus of attention should be on the football operation. Substance is always a more important issue than style.

+1 can confirm. He was protected in his last contract with Wilson.