A.Williams Keep Him or Let Him Walk ?

T master

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the salary structure/cap situation says keep him, so if he wants to play and the docs clear him, then get that dude a helmet !

and give him a shot at crushing Landry Jones to even the score. Cheapass punk. That hit was so ghetto. what a loser.

but if Hooker is sitting there at 10 we'd better take the kid, and A A ron can compete with him in camp.

If he wants to play, he stays. If he wants to retire, no one can blame him.

Agreed. I hope he plays, he's a good Safety, and the secondary is just not the same when he's gone for a long period of time.

If he chooses to retire, I would respect that decision.

the salary structure/cap situation says keep him, so if he wants to play and the docs clear him, then get that dude a helmet !

and give him a shot at crushing Landry Jones to even the score. Cheapass punk. That hit was so ghetto. what a loser.

but if Hooker is sitting there at 10 we'd better take the kid, and A A ron can compete with him in camp.

We all want to see him get a shot at Landry Jones. That was such a cheap shot.

I'm fine with drafting Hooker too, although will his surgery drop his draft stick. Either way, drafting another Safety would be a good move. The Bills need depth at the position, not just because of Aaron Williams' health, but also because Corey Graham is getting up there.

Definitely keep him, but if I were him, I'd retire. Not worth risking permanent injury to that neck and ending up spending life after football in a wheelchair or worse.

The Bills should be looking to draft the best safety available anyway.

Let him play. He wil have another 10 months of healing fo rhis neck. He had a concussion not another neck injury.

P. Brown and C. Graham are the ones to get rid of.

Coaching changes may make everyone look different. Patience.

On the one hand, the guy plays his heart out. And the secondary regressed without his leadership back there. Then there's the cap issue.

On the other hand, he's had two serious injuries in two years.

If forced to choose, I say keep him. But maybe draft a safety for him to mentor, just in case.

Let him play. He wil have another 10 months of healing fo rhis neck. He had a concussion not another neck injury.

Right. He was doing just fine until he took a massive cheap shot. Very different from what happened the year before and doesn't say anything about his reliability. He took time to rest and reflect and if he feels like he still has it in him to play, he plays. We draft another guy to start alongside him (Graham gets cut or restructures and becomes the backup) and voila.

I don't think he's made a final decision, right? The decision may still be out of their hands, and either way they need to plan for not having him so it doesn't matter for now.

That being said, if he wants to come back and is cleared medically then I give him a shot.

The Bills can't just "let him walk" aka release him. That would result in $4.85 million in dead cap. Which would be dumb.

He's back unless he decides to retire.

Here are his contract details: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/aaron-williams-7749/

That's tough. He could be designated a June 1st cut and the Bills would be hit with cap hits of $2.45M in 2017 and 2018. If he's kept for 2017 and released before 2018, he'd have hits of $6.625M in '17 and $2.45 in '18. If he plays out his deal his hits would be $6.625M in '17 and $6.825M in '18. Those are some big numbers. He's worth it if he can stay healthy, but he's also a huge injury risk. And it doesn't help that he's about all we've got at safety.

Honestly I think this comes down to two things: 1) what the doctors say and 2) whether or not the Bills are rebuilding or are pushing for the playoffs in 2017. If they are in rebuild mode, then they should release him. If they're pushing, then they are probably better off taking the chance with him for at least 2017.

He should retire while he can still walk.

Yeah, I agree. As a fellow human being I hope he either retires on his own or gets retired by the league before (further?) permanent damage gets done to his brain.

Health always comes first, with that the right thing to do is retire. The Bills will require a saftey that is able to pack a punch, hard hits, and punishing tackles. If AW is not able to do these things then the time is right to move on.

• 3 weeks later...