Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

Should for our personnel nicely. He's served under Shannahan and Kubiak so expect to see emphasis on the run game, play action, bootlegs and moving the pocket. Sounds like a good fit for Tyrod.

It will be interesting to see if he trusts TT with play action fakes. It was obvious Roman and Lynn didn't. Which is a shame because we had such a dominant run game much of the time and play action usually flourishes with great running games. I suspect Roman and Lynn and every other coach knows this, too, so I have to ask the question why? I gotta believe they didn't trust TT's vision and didn't want his back to the defense for that split second it takes to perform the play fake.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if he trusts TT with play action fakes. It was obvious Roman and Lynn didn't. Which is a shame because we had such a dominant run game much of the time and play action usually flourishes with great running games. I suspect Roman and Lynn and every other coach knows this, too, so I have to ask the question why? I gotta believe they didn't trust TT's vision and didn't want his back to the defense for that split second it takes to perform the play fake.

Doing it right requires perfect technique - you have to have your drop and footwork down so well that it looks identical whether it's a pass or run. Tyrod doesn't have those chops yet. Plus it works best where you have a drop back passer - Tyrod prefers shotgun and they did a lot of handoffs from shotgun. That said I wonder if Dennison can adapt to some of the read option stuff that Tyrod prefers.

Won a Super Bowl last year.

I think it is well believed that the Denver defense won the Super Bowl. Here is what ESPN said about Dennison "Dennison, 58, served as the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator the past two seasons under former coach Gary Kubiak, who called offensive plays. The Broncos' offense finished 27th in yards per game this season after a 16th-ranked performance in 2015, when Denver won the Super Bowl in Peyton Manning's final season." Do we really want an offensive coordinator who doesn't call the plays?

And they may be right. Who knows at this point?

right about what though? That mccoy was bad in SD? He was bad at some things as a play caller during the Reich years but it's a whole different ball of wax with different players and circumstances. The point is that fan bases for the most part hate their OCs or whoever is calling the plays and blame them for everything even when part of the problem is players, execution, etc. and typically circumstances and results change from team to team. I would take any fan complaints on twitter or message boards with a giant grain of salt. Which I do think you are doing, just saying. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think it is well believed that the Denver defense won the Super Bowl. Here is what ESPN said about Dennison "Dennison, 58, served as the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator the past two seasons under former coach Gary Kubiak, who called offensive plays. The Broncos' offense finished 27th in yards per game this season after a 16th-ranked performance in 2015, when Denver won the Super Bowl in Peyton Manning's final season." Do we really want an offensive coordinator who doesn't call the plays?

Dennison shared play-calling duties with Kubiak last year and has called plays in his long career. It's not a big deal.

Is it your assumption that Dennison won't be calling plays in Buffalo? Just because he had a HC that preferred to call his own plays (there are several that do that in the NFL, btw) doesn't mean he won't be calling plays for McDermott. I think your bigger point is that he is simply inexperienced in calling plays, but so was every other OC that hadn't done that before. He's been around good offensive coaches and talent and has spent a lot of time up in the booth acting as eyes for Kubiak and he has seen every kind of defense there is. I think he will have a good enough command of the offense to call plays.

Classic TSW thread. 90% of the people have to Google "Rick Dennison" to figure out who he is. Read up on his wiki and 10 minutes later... "Great Hire!"

He's a lot better than some of the other names being tossed around.

More like 60%. The other 40% go read the Broncos' fan forum and 10 minutes later..."he sucks!"

Like I said upthread, the best thing about this hire is that the Bills didn't telegraph it and there were no leaks. McD clearly has a plan. Nobody knows how it will turn out yet.

The best part is he has experience as a player and OC and calling plays, with a SB winner.

^

This, me thinks..

The whole staff is uninspiring, but that's not a bad thing. I suppose after 'the MOUTH', anything seems tame by comparison. No flashy names, but impressive resumes on all of them. Here's to hoping for the best. :beer:

Who would have been inspiring?

Is it your assumption that Dennison won't be calling plays in Buffalo? Just because he had a HC that preferred to call his own plays (there are several that do that in the NFL, btw) doesn't mean he won't be calling plays for McDermott. I think your bigger point is that he is simply inexperienced in calling plays, but so was every other OC that hadn't done that before. He's been around good offensive coaches and talent and has spent a lot of time up in the booth acting as eyes for Kubiak and he has seen every kind of defense there is. I think he will have a good enough command of the offense to call plays.

Including A Lynn who has never called a play before Week 3 of this season.

Including A Lynn who has never called a play before Week 3 of this season.

Perhaps the best example. He went from never calling an offensive play to being named a head coach in the NFL within five months.

I will be a bit skeptical on this move as I don't think he ever called of plays as an OC, although neither had Lynn and I thought he did a fine job.

Also, I will be more excited about this hire if it's coupled with a young QB or WR coach who can groom for the OC position in the future(Dorsey? Lal?).

My only concern really is that we still don't have anyone on staff that has a track record of developing QBs.