Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

What was it that struck you about his play calling that was bad? I ask because the # 1 fan complaint always seems to be play calling, when usually it's the players not executing the called play. So I usually hate hearing complaints about play calling . There is an art to it and we've all seen bad play calling : like running on first down too often , or calling weird " trick plays" at curious times . A. Lynn was guilty of both of these : remember the strange play to Reggie Bush with the season on the line? I'd like to know what stood out about Olson, because play calling is always the " default" complaint about a struggling offense.

THIS X 1,000,000

Unimaginative. I only watched a few games but even then you could see how they lined up, look at the down and distance and probably predict what the playcall was about 3 times out of 4.

And you know for certain that the QB wasn't checking to something at the line?

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone around the league will be "blocked". The QB status is an issue for the OC to sort out in interviews. Lynn laid down the blueprint for a top-10 offense with what we've currently got.

I would indeed be very uninspired by either Olson or Childress. I can see where McDermott might want an experienced hand on the other side of the ball but those guys put the "tread" in "retread".

Although Lynn was just calling a stripped down version of Romans plays, and admitted as much. He also said the Roman offense is not what he would run and it was simply too late to install what "his offense" would be. So that being said, Romans offense was going by the wayside in 2017 regardless. That blueprint is out the window. The job is currently not too attractive because of the QB/ Coach/ FO situation and its perception around the league. It does appear to be a factor also that many candidates have been blocked from interviews by teams. Not just the Bills interviews. The pool of candidates seems limited. I'd certainly hope they don't have one interview and hire that guy. The optics on that would be pretty awful.

Maybe you can't figure it out. Some of can put the pieces together.

The fact is that IF the reports about Childress dropping out are true the Bills are now looking at the third option on their list. That is awful but thanks for trying to put lipstick on a pig.

yeah...IF the reports are true. Again, more spitballing, no real inside info

Unimaginative. I only watched a few games but even then you could see how they lined up, look at the down and distance and probably predict what the playcall was about 3 times out of 4.

Okay. Although I often can watch say, the Patriots and see the down and distance and guess correctly what they are going to do. Yet they seem to get the first down anyway. The Steelers have been using a formation that has one WR on the field. Think they might be calling a running play there? It's been highly effective. I know hat you mean about predictability, but it can be overrated.

Olson's OC career using DVOA...

2006 - Improved Rams offense from 19 to 14

2007 - Rams offense falls from 14 to 31, Olson is fired

However, the next year Rams offense fell to 32 under his replacement Al Saunders. So Rams had bigger issues than Olson. Marc Bulger's nose dive, for instance.

2009 - Bucs offense falls from 20 to 26 under Olson in his first season as OC in TB.

2010 - Offense leaps from 26 to 8. Olson's work along with Josh Freeman's development results in Olson receiving national accolades for the first time as an NFL coach. 9th ranked passing, 11th ranked rushing (well-balanced).

2011 - Falls back to 26. Freeman free-falls, as does the offense. 24th passing, 15th rushing. Coaching staff fired.

2013 - Raiders offense falls from 23 to 28 under Olson. Of course, they replaced Carson Palmer with Terrelle Pryor, a rookie Matt McGloin, and Matt Flynn, so it's understandable. 31st in passing, 15th in rushing.

2014 - Under rookie Derek Carr the Raiders offense finishes 30th. After Olson left, Carr and the Raiders offense improved to 18 in 2015 under Bill Musgrave.

2015 - Jags offense improved under Olson, moving from 31 to 21.

2016 - Olson was the scapegoat for the offense's failure to improve, falling to 27

Personally, I think Olson has been handcuffed by poor quarterback play more than anything. Then again, good coordinators are able to get more out of rushing attacks when the QB play is poor. If Olson is hired, expect to see a fall from our back-to-back Top 10 offense.

The only place that the idea that Childress "may" be out of the running seems to be a Vic tweet. I would not automatically assume this to be the truth. It may ultimately turn out to be true, who knows now, but it's a flimsy case for it being true. One Vic tweet, saying he "may" be out of the running.

Edit: For clarity sake, Vic said that Childress "Appears" to be out of the picture, not "may" be. Same thing, but since I used the quotes...

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The only place that the idea that Childress "may" be out of the running seems to be a Vic tweet. I would not automatically assume this to be the truth. It may ultimately turn out to be true, who knows now, but it's a flimsy case for it being true. One Vic tweet, saying he "may" be out of the running.

Vic owes the Bills an apology for claiming the head coaching search was a sham.

No thanks to Olson, I'd rather hire a up and comer than a guy who has sucked or made improvements for one year and then free-falled off a cliff the next...

They need to ask him the hard questions like why can't you sustain any type of improvements throughout your career?

McDermott said flat out that he is going to have his mitts in all three phases of the game, rather than concentrating on his specialty, defense, which got him the job. That said, I think it's very prudent if not imperative that he give control of the offense to an experienced OC rather than a first timer or up and comer. He is one of those himself. He covered himself extremely well with the defensive hires. Castillo was a good start (although I would have preferred to keep Kromer) but this offense is going to be crucial to McDermott's success, and trusting it to a guy with no real experience is a big gamble.

And don't say Anthony Lynn was a first timer. He spent 24 years in the league, was an Assistant HC for 4-5, started developing his own offense ten years ago, etc. If you found "that" guy, sure, hire him. He's not a young, inexperienced up and comer.

What was it that struck you about his play calling that was bad? I ask because the # 1 fan complaint always seems to be play calling, when usually it's the players not executing the called play. So I usually hate hearing complaints about play calling . There is an art to it and we've all seen bad play calling : like running on first down too often , or calling weird " trick plays" at curious times . A. Lynn was guilty of both of these : remember the strange play to Reggie Bush with the season on the line? I'd like to know what stood out about Olson, because play calling is always the " default" complaint about a struggling offense.

I'll answer from my perspective. I think particularly with a QB who is still developing you have to get them in rhythm. With the Jags particularly he struggled to do this with a combination of too much run, run, pass on early series and too many low percentage pass plays (normally linked to it being 3rd and 7 or longer).

Olson's OC career using DVOA...

2006 - Improved Rams offense from 19 to 14

2007 - Rams offense falls from 14 to 31, Olson is fired

However, the next year Rams offense fell to 32 under his replacement Al Saunders. So Rams had bigger issues than Olson. Marc Bulger's nose dive, for instance.

2009 - Bucs offense falls from 20 to 26 under Olson in his first season as OC in TB.

2010 - Offense leaps from 26 to 8. Olson's work along with Josh Freeman's development results in Olson receiving national accolades for the first time as an NFL coach. 9th ranked passing, 11th ranked rushing (well-balanced).

2011 - Falls back to 26. Freeman free-falls, as does the offense. 24th passing, 15th rushing. Coaching staff fired.

2013 - Raiders offense falls from 23 to 28 under Olson. Of course, they replaced Carson Palmer with Terrelle Pryor, a rookie Matt McGloin, and Matt Flynn, so it's understandable. 31st in passing, 15th in rushing.

2014 - Under rookie Derek Carr the Raiders offense finishes 30th. After Olson left, Carr and the Raiders offense improved to 18 in 2015 under Bill Musgrave.

2015 - Jags offense improved under Olson, moving from 31 to 21.

2016 - Olson was the scapegoat for the offense's failure to improve, falling to 27

Thanks for taking the time to research all of that.

Based on those stats, it appears it would be an absolutely horrible idea to hire that guy as an offensive coordinator..

Edited by PolishDave

I wonder to what extent that McDermott said he and McCoy were joined at the hip in the interviewing process.

For his sake, I hope he did not oversell himself.

I am going to wait and see how this all pans out, but there is not a lot to be enthusiastic about at the moment. With any luck, we just hired the next Bill Belichick, but who knows at this point.

I wonder to what extent that McDermott said he and McCoy were joined at the hip in the interviewing process.

For his sake, I hope he did not oversell himself.

I am going to wait and see how this all pans out, but there is not a lot to be enthusiastic about at the moment. With any luck, we just hired the next Bill Belichick, but who knows at this point.

Oh I think he told them he could get McCoy I think there is little doubt about that. But it doesn't always work that way. McCoy or no McCoy I believe he was the best candidate of those we interviewed and is much better an option than the man he replaced.

The OC gig is a concern though.