Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

I'll answer from my perspective. I think particularly with a QB who is still developing you have to get them in rhythm. With the Jags particularly he struggled to do this with a combination of too much run, run, pass on early series and too many low percentage pass plays (normally linked to it being 3rd and 7 or longer).

Run Run Pass. Sounds like the Nate Hackett/Doug Marrone offense.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder to what extent that McDermott said he and McCoy were joined at the hip in the interviewing process.

For his sake, I hope he did not oversell himself.

I am going to wait and see how this all pans out, but there is not a lot to be enthusiastic about at the moment. With any luck, we just hired the next Bill Belichick, but who knows at this point.

he likely just listed him as his top OC target. McCoy's offenses in Denver weren't statistically great before he got to Rivers; he moreso had a reputation for being able to tailor his scheme to his QB.

There are 5 other OC openings right now ... and very little interviewing going on (other than Chip)

Rams

Jags

Jets

Browns

Texans

Wow. The Bills are in solid company with that list of schit shows.

At this point I wonder if Steve Fairchild or Turk Schonert could be lured back to Buffalo. They do have experience working here already, which is a big plus.

Greg Olson isn't the only retread out there looking for a NFL job.

Edited by BillsVet

Got it, well that's settled then

Exactly the point. You have no idea what the playcalls are, what the QB's freedom to change them is, how many different calls the QB can make at the line, etc, etc, etc.

"Playcalling" is probably the dumbest things fans complain about. We know this because it's a complaint that's nearly gone extinct now that we have access all-22 analyses, without which we can't even begin to guess at what the objective of any given play was. But even the most diligent all-22 analysts freely admit that their ability to understand things is severely limited...by not knowing the playcall.

So, again.

Edited by The Big Cat

i know my favorite Ken Dorsey moment! :) Thanks to Tim Anderson!

was that the Ohio St. championship back in 2000?

Nearly a decade ago? Is that why Green Bay won't let him go, so he won't go back to sucking?

yeah coaches can never get better, especially young ones doing something for the first time.

Joe Lombardi could be another option. Current Saints QB coach. He got a bad rap in Detroit but when looking at it in hindsight he wasn't to blame for their offensive issues. Took an offense that was ranked #19 before he arrived to #13 within two years. This year Lions offense finished 15th.

We could do worse.

I wonder to what extent that McDermott said he and McCoy were joined at the hip in the interviewing process.

For his sake, I hope he did not oversell himself.

I am going to wait and see how this all pans out, but there is not a lot to be enthusiastic about at the moment. With any luck, we just hired the next Bill Belichick, but who knows at this point.

I can't remember the interview, so I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with a link, but I do recall him being asked a question about his staff. His answer was something to the effect that he has a notebook that he kept updating with people he thought would be good fits at different staff positions. I would hope that his list for OC is slightly more extensive than just McCoy, but you have to wonder just how much wind it took out of his sails when McCoy went to Denver. If he doesn't have GOOD second, third and fourth options in that little notebook it should be a cause for concern.

Exactly the point. You have no idea what the playcalls are, what the QB's freedom to change them is, how many different calls the QB can make at the line, etc, etc, etc.

"Playcalling" is probably the dumbest things fans complain about. We know this because it's a complaint that's nearly gone extinct now that we have access all-22 analyses, without which we can't even begin to guess at what the objective of any given play was. But even the most diligent all-22 analysts freely admit that their ability to understand things is severely limited...by not knowing the playcall.

So, again.

Interesting. So the same "predictable" complaint about him that has plagued him over and over in various coordinator jobs he's had is really all the QB's faults? Must be nice to always have an excuse lined up. Sounds like he wasn't privy to what decisions were being made on plays he called.

I can't remember the interview, so I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with a link, but I do recall him being asked a question about his staff. His answer was something to the effect that he has a notebook that he kept updating with people he thought would be good fits at different staff positions. I would hope that his list for OC is slightly more extensive than just McCoy, but you have to wonder just how much wind it took out of his sails when McCoy went to Denver. If he doesn't have GOOD second, third and fourth options in that little notebook it should be a cause for concern.

Interesting. So the same "predictable" complaint about him that has plagued him over and over in various coordinator jobs he's had is really all the QB's faults? Must be nice to always have an excuse lined up. Sounds like he wasn't privy to what decisions were being made on plays he called.

'

Boy, our longitudinal understanding of another team's OC sure did crystallize quickly!