NFL needs to downsize

major

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the team. He said he's not interested in making money on the team. He said if he needs money he will go drill a hole. This is very uncommon. Most people like making money, even rich people. Luckily Pegula sees the team like how some people see a shiny car. It's just something fun to have

And there is the rub, just drill baby drill. Who cares about the environment as long as the Bills win?

Downsize? Did you say downsize?

I can't imagine that's been given much if any thought by the NFL or NFLPA. On the contrary it's all about expansion...outside of the U.S.

Has any of the major sports ever contracted? Can't think of one, maybe hockey? I think it's all been relocations, no?

Edited by LI_Bills

The NFL might be wise to work with local MLB......and though I hate the sport.......SOCCER.......franchises to SHARE facilities in the future.

The NFL may be the most popular sport but they just can't make a convincing economic argument for football only stadiums in most communities.

The NFL might be wise to work with local MLB......and though I hate the sport.......SOCCER.......franchises to SHARE facilities in the future.

The NFL may be the most popular sport but they just can't make a convincing economic argument for football only stadiums in most communities.

I like this idea. Public D1 colleges would probably make the most sense, since they would require government funding anyway.

Downsizing because teams are moving? They have a place to go, the new market will support the team. There is no reason to downsize.

If the quality of play suffered because of a diluted talent pool it might make sense to downsize to improve the product. I used to believe the NHL should downsize for that very reason but no longer.

NFL downsizing? I just don't see any good reasons why they should.

Looking at what happened to the Chargers this week, I've realized what the NFL needs to do is downsize. Following teams that need to be gone: Chargers & Jags (and possibly Miami). Why did I choose these two: lack of enthusiasm from their community and little to no fan base. Forget expansion. Time to cut some waste. NFL has hit its peak, in my opinion, and is on downward trajectory. Time to adjust.

There is literally no reason to downsize. There is zero percent chance that even if there would be a downsize that either the Chargers or Miami would be in any jeopardy, I mean SD just moved to a massive market.

What people fail to realize is the common denominator in regards to the three teams you listed: Great Weather.

What that means is, teams where the weather is great and there is a lot to do in the city/region will struggle to keep attendance up when the team isnt good simply because there are a lot better things to do on their Sunday than watch a bad football team, or even a mediocre one. Then you look at cities that struggle to make the playoffs or be relevant much but are in cities where it is really cold, and the fan base is much more connected to the team because during football season, they are inside somewhere where its warm watching the game.

So even though the conditions are worse outside, they will go to the games because those people grew up caring way more about their team as opposed to a team like the Jags or Chargers where they don't have the same rabid fan base because there is more to care about during football season than just staying inside and watching a marginal or worse football team. When those teams are good, they draw better and when they are worse they float near bottom of league in attendance because people simply rather do other things on a beautiful Sunday in those regions.

At the end of the day, its tougher for them to draw crowds with a poor product on the field...so the solution is build a better football team, or ultimately move it to another market likely to care more about the team in general.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Even though it would make for more competitive games or fewer meaningless games, this is probably not going to happen. Relocating some teams would help beef up revenue a bit, broadcast rights are still the cash cow, but as long as teams are worth hundred of millions of dollars downsizing is not on most peoples' minds.

i'm not sure this would be the case, this years playoffs are awful and none of the real crappy teams are playing. I think the NFL would have a more exciting product with more teams and larger rosters, much like college football. In the NFL all teams basically try to get the same type players at the same positions, there's no room for the exciting undersized players we see in college. Look at all the exciting college players that will never play in the NFL. They need to find a way to get those great players into the NFL.

We wouldn't be downsized. Look at the support and ticket sales each year- and we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 17 years and counting. I know our ticket prices aren't like as high as rest of year but we have community support and fan base like Green Bay that will never disappear from NFL

Or this

You cannot compare support of Green Bay and Buffalo; far too many fans whose equipment is a keg and torches in Buffalo and the keg is filled with kerosene.

A team in London will be ahead of Toronto or Mexico City.

IMO would be difficult to attract FA and keep players in MC or London

Who would want to live in Mexico for 7 months a year if it's not a beach. Tons of safety concerns there, language barrier.

Who would want to do the travel from London. The Bills went west 3 times this year, I couldn't imagine a London team doing that along with travel to the states 5 other times plus preseason and/or playoffs brutal travel and expensive.

Toronto would be easier as Canada is most similar to the US and the NHL, MLB, NBA are already there. Easier logistics.

Looking at what happened to the Chargers this week, I've realized what the NFL needs to do is downsize. Following teams that need to be gone: Chargers & Jags (and possibly Miami). Why did I choose these two: lack of enthusiasm from their community and little to no fan base. Forget expansion. Time to cut some waste. NFL has hit its peak, in my opinion, and is on downward trajectory. Time to adjust.

plenty of places in the South would love a team. Also I bet mid north would do better than most think: Wyoming, Idaho, Dakotas etc..