NFL needs to downsize

major

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL needs to downsize if the QBing doesnt improve in this league.-There needs to be either a development league or a major shift

in the type of QBs/offenses that are used in college.

The majority of pro teams don't even have a QB with the basic skills of being a QB. How many of todays NFL QBs know how to throw a proper screen pass?.How many can look off the 1st or 2nd receiver and find receiver #3?(checkdown dumpoffs for 6 yds on 3rd and 7 don't count.)How many QBs are smart enough to manage the game clock?

Yes there are some brilliant athletes..but that doesnt work in the NFL.

The already tiny group of teams that have a real QB is shrinking.

The only possible long shot alternative is for some pro teams to just run college offenses(you listening Buffalo?)

The NFL needs to downsize if the QBing doesnt improve in this league.-There needs to be either a development league or a major shift

in the type of QBs/offenses that are used in college.

The majority of pro teams don't even have a QB with the basic skills of being a QB. How many of todays NFL QBs know how to throw a proper screen pass?.How many can look off the 1st or 2nd receiver and find receiver #3?(checkdown dumpoffs for 6 yds on 3rd and 7 don't count.)How many QBs are smart enough to manage the game clock?

Yes there are some brilliant athletes..but that doesnt work in the NFL.

The already tiny group of teams that have a real QB is shrinking.

The only possible long shot alternative is for some pro teams to just run college offenses(you listening Buffalo?)

I agree about the college offenses, but to do that you need to expand the rosters , widen the hashmarks and speed the game up. If you add more teams, they would be forced to adapt to the shortage of traditional pocket QB's and adopt the college philosophy.

Business wise, there are growth options available to the NFL. No need to downsize.

But Quality of Game wise: The NFL has a much bigger problem: human resources. They don't have a quality supply of players, refs and coaches to support growth.

Think about it... we're barely satisfied with 32 teams today.

• there are only about 14 to 16 good starting QBs, the rest are scrubs wearing a starter disguise
  • about 1/3 of the coaches suck
  • about 2/3 of non-suck coaches are ancient
  • about 1/3 of the refs should just stay home
  • the good skill players make a killing pay wise because supply falls far short of demand
  • and don't get me started on journalism

If they grow the game without addressing personnel quality == < game play quality, which < fan happiness, which < revenue, which eventually causes the entire system to implode.

I don't see downsizing. On the other hand, I don't see growth. I do see teams moving, and Bills fans should never get complacent in that regard.

An owner isn't is giving giving up a billion plus dollar asset.

NFL is never gonna "down" size.

Now eventually, owners might hit a stage where their cities won't give in a build them new stadiums when they like. If an outside or nearby market also won't, then things could change. However, in the mean time, it's give me what I want or I'll take my team to x y or z. San Antonio still wants an NFL. St. Louis might want one back. Toronto could always come beckoning and of course the NFL dream, London.

Business wise, there are growth options available to the NFL. No need to downsize.

But Quality of Game wise: The NFL has a much bigger problem: human resources. They don't have a quality supply of players, refs and coaches to support growth.

• there are only about 14 to 16 good starting QBs, the rest are scrubs wearing a starter disguise
  • the good skill players make a killing pay wise because supply falls far short of demand

If they grow the game without addressing personnel quality == < game play quality, which < fan happiness, which < revenue, which eventually causes the entire system to implode.

I don't see downsizing. On the other hand, I don't see growth. I do see teams moving, and Bills fans should never get complacent in that regard.

You have to define "good" but that number of 14 to 16 is very generous.

The test in my opinion is this: how many teams have a QB good enough to win a tough playoff game on the road. Or something like that. There are maybe 5 or 6 of those guys, tops.

The rest are just pretending they have a shot at the big prize.

The problem is that the "feeder league" of the NFL is college football, and the college game is a million miles away from the NFL game. Even huge programs mostly run garbage college type offenses that would not work at the NFL level primarily because NFL defenses have way too much speed.

So our NFL feeder league teaches QBs how to play a sport other than NFL football. And then we are surprised when these guys enter the NFL and don't know how to play.

I think for real expansion to happen, we would first need to develop a pro minor league of football, with every NFL team having a AAA minor league development team if you will. The Bills' team can go in Rochester. Why not?

Every team would instantly have a repository for at least 3 QBs MORE than they have now...to teach and develop QBs.

Between the minor league team and the big club, you could have 6+ QBs in your system. Many more chances to get lucky, more chances to find a surprise, more chances to teach and find a guy who can actually learn and progress, unlike EJ Manuel for example....and so on.

From the feeder league pool of QB prospects, hopefully more quality NFL QBs would emerge.

That's the "pull everyone up to the level of the good QBs" approach.

Another approach would be to tinker with the NFL rule book shifting some balance of power back to the defensive side of the ball so as to pull the best QBs down to the level of everyone else...

How about a rule eliminating audibles at the line of scrimmage?

How about a rule saying the 5 yard legal contact zone with a receiver is increased to 10?

A few rule changes here or there could have a huge impact on the success of the best QBs, leveling the field.

I started a thread about all this sort of stuff a few years ago. There were some good ideas in that.

NHL, NBA and MLB need to downsize also but it's not going to happen

MLB and probably NBA need to reduce number of games in a season, but again, it will never happen. Can you gue$$$$$$$$$ why it won't happen?

Edited by Augie

Bingo. There is simply not enough talent to go around. Baseball has a huge farm system and they can't manufacture enough players to make the entire league competitive. Soccer is played by a billion people and there is still only one Messi and one Ronaldo.

I think the NFL would do everything it can to keep the team in Miami. The Jags should move. Three NFL teams in Florida seems like a bad idea, anyway. Two teams in LA is going to fail.

I agree that the NFL has peaked, but I think a team in Toronto, and maybe Mexico City (what about Vancouver?) might be good ideas.

I don't agree that the Bills would be one of the first teams relocated.

I don't see Canada as an option. They are very loyal to the CFL. Our Toronto series was a disaster. Canada is a great place to visit BUT it's not the casual trip it used to be due to all the customs requirements. Who wants to go to the game with a passport?

NFL Europe failed, and Mexico has no genuine interest. If they did LA would thrive, and that's not going to happen.

The NFL may be fast running out of USA city options due to the high cost, and taxpayer resistance to gifting new stadiums to NFL teams.

Bingo. There is simply not enough talent to go around. Baseball has a huge farm system and they can't manufacture enough players to make the entire league competitive. Soccer is played by a billion people and there is still only one Messi and one Ronaldo.

Why is college footlball so exciting , yet 90% of the players will never play a down in the NFL? Because of no parity in college, there are more mismatches which allow for the talented players of all sizes and speed excel. Remember Rocket Ismail , he was a threat to score every time he touched the ball, didn't happen in the NFL. Too many 'good' players.