St Doug officially head coach in Jax.

Virgil

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this on multiple levels. Most importantly, I would never consider a guy who quit on my team as being better than anyone else.

I dont see it as quitting. He had a contractual opportunity (given by the bills) to leave. For whatever reason, he felt it was in his best interests. Same with any free agent players who do so, or teams who decline an option on a player. These people act in the best interests of their careers.

Then you see the bills having similar problems with a new coach, while marrone plays nice as a lowly offensive coordinator. It makes you think a little, especially reflecting back to the whole "lifers" conflict thing. You also start to wonder if the 'serial leaker' within the bills organization floated some unflattering notions about marrone in order to save face.

I was one of a few who applauded the move. Ralph passes, uncertainty for our franchise, AND 4 million smackeroos. Whose gonna give up that much free money? A fool or a liar, that's who. On top of that he leaves Buffalo for Florida. I live in Florida now and can deal with an occasional freezing night here and there, but damn that Buffalo winter crap! Given the same options, I would have "quit" too. In the end you make yourself and your family secure and happy. He didn't owe us anything.

Edited by Dopey

Last season Bortles had six 300 yard passing games, five games in which his passer rating was over 100, and five games he threw 3 or more TD passes.

This season Bortles had five 300 yard games, one game with over a 100 passer rating, and one game with three TD throws. His sacks actually dropped from 51 last season to 34 in 2016 with his completion percentage remaining identical while throwing 2 less interceptions in roughly 19 more passing attempts which means he is learning pocket awareness.

You have to think it's more about being coached up than talent. Bradley was getting heat for not doing so. Now Marrone who is more offensive minded will be tasked with trying to get that out of him.

Considering he had arguably his 2 best games in Marrone's interim period is a positive sign. I think from ownership down they want Bortles to be their franchise. He has shown he can be. He just needs to be coached up right.

It means old Doug's plan worked out well in the end.

Took the $4 million (?) and ran away to live and fight another day.

Easy division, no Belichick or Brady in it, nice weather...

Of course now Doug has to actually win football games or he'll be out of another job.

There's the rub!

Given 4 million and walked away.

FWIW - I do agree with the parts of your response that are bolded.

I dont see it as quitting. He had a contractual opportunity (given by the bills) to leave. For whatever reason, he felt it was in his best interests. Same with any free agent players who do so, or teams who decline an option on a player. These people act in the best interests of their careers.

Then you see the bills having similar problems with a new coach, while marrone plays nice as a lowly offensive coordinator. It makes you think a little, especially reflecting back to the whole "lifers" conflict thing. You also start to wonder if the 'serial leaker' within the bills organization floated some unflattering notions about marrone in order to save face.

I disagree with this on multiple levels. Most importantly, I would never consider a guy who quit on my team as being better than anyone else.

He got out while the getting was good.

His replacement is already fired. The FO is a laughing stock nationally. The owners are publicly second guessing their demand to bench the starting QB in favor of the disasters at backup.

Marrone, who I thought was a bad pick for the Bills, wins.