Schefter: Bills to give new HC more power within org

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

That has to be the first thing that jumps out at you. Sure, Whaley has said he'd give more control, but I'd expect it would only be under circumstances that warranted it. (And what else is Whaley going to say? He's got to sound resonable, right?)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about a misleading headline....

Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13 2m2 minutes ago

Joe Banner Retweeted Ben Volin

It doesn't appear that the Bills have really studied what leads to success in the NFL.

Joe Banner? Where are his professional NFL success stories? LOL

Who's next to weigh in on the Bills situation with their NFL wisdom, Richie Kotite?

Who's next to weigh in on the Bills situation with their NFL wisdom, Richie Kotite?

The NFL Insiders should be renamed "Guys who Got Fired From the NFL".

LOL

btw I was just providing twitter commentary...

an HC being able to choose the 53 is entirely acceptable if they haven't been in the league for like 5 minutes

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

That statement makes no sense given the Bills current situation as well as the guys they are interviewing. Schefter is getting like the rest of them.

Yeah full control to a rookie like McDermott Mulrooney-rule would sound like a poor choice. Perhaps exceeding Billsy even.

I just saw some other people reference this. It looks like old news. It's referencing Whaley from a week ago saying he is willing to let a HC have control over the 53 depending on the guy.

Which he is not.

He would be if that guy is Pete Carroll. Or Bellichick. He's not going to with any of the guys available. That's just more crappy reporting.

the last coach reported to the owner...how much more power did he need? the last coach got darby, shaq and ragland in the first 3 rounds over 2 year period.

Maybe the GM will report to the HC now. lol.

Bills front office, ownership and the press working together well to make sure that no one knows what the Bills were doing, are doing or will do with respect to the head coach.

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

Obviously

Whaley had already said himself that he was open to giving the HC control over the 53 man roster, which isn't common.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be...the coach is the one who is trying to put all the pieces together in his system...unless there is some overriding factor with the Salary Cap, I would think they should be the ones who have the final say.