Have folks already given up on Cardale?

eball

Amid all of the hand-wringing over whether Tyrod is a franchise guy, I guess I haven't seen a whole lot about what people think of Cardale. Yes, he's still raw and not quite ready for a starting role, but to my aging eyes he has "franchise QB" written all over him if he's allowed to take another year to practice and learn.

Pros:

-- rifle arm; the 2nd pass he threw Sunday was a sideline out that was an absolute rocket -- few QBs can make that throw

-- "quiet" in the pocket; no happy feet and the moment is not too big for him

-- great size/stature and an ability to run if needed

-- ideal temperament; teammates love him but seems to be able to have an "edge" if the moment requires it

-- comment by ALynn that Cardale "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is music to my ears; that is the kind of confidence you see from the greats (reminds me of Kelly)

Cons:

-- raw; fewer than 15 starts in college or pros

-- trusts arm so much that he allows lower body mechanics to suffer

-- can he read an NFL defense? (the biggest question by far)

I really think Cardale could be great, and I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod as Cardale moves up to #2.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard Steve Tasker the other day liken him to Roethlisberger because of his ability to make the big play, the kind that wins games in the 4th quarter - Tasker seemed very high on him. And did anyone see him jawing with Muhammed Wilkerson on his very first set as a pro player - both of them were smiling - love it! The guy's got tremendous self-confidence.

Heard Steve Tasker the other day liken him to Roethlisberger because of his ability to make the big play, the kind that wins games in the 4th quarter - Tasker seemed very high on him. And did anyone see him jawing with Muhammed Wilkerson on his very first set as a pro player - both of them were smiling - love it! The guy's got tremendous self-confidence.

Watching him in the last game I was concerned with Cardale's "wind up" I know he has a great arm but it seemed like it took awhile for him to get rid of the ball. Also I give him credit for staying in the pocket etc. yet still can't see him ready to start in 2017, 2018 is a possibility but wouldn't discount looking for a QB early in this draft who might be more NFL ready just in case the project never develops.

Nothing really to "give up" on... CJ is not ready yet and that makes sense and he needs grooming before he's worthy of even being judged. We'll see how far he has come next pre-season and go from there I am sure.

I certainly did not see any reason to give up on him. I think the best hope for him all along would be that he is ready to assume a primary back up role by training camp next year. Should be possible if they get him some decent coaching in the offseason. I am also of the opinion that the Bills should stick with Tyrod one more year while continuing (starting ?) to evaluate other alternatives, including the draft. It is really beginning to look to me though that they are preparing to cut Tyrod loose. Given Jim Kelly's role with the team, I would not be surprised if his comments on Tyrod were a directed trial balloon.

What I find interesting about Cardale is he's kind of the opposite of Tyrod and EJ when it comes to his decision making. I think it would be easiest to explain this by referring to Lynn's comment on Cardale, "He’s never seen a receiver not open."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Receivers-syncing-up-with-EJ/175d0a14-1c05-4add-8fa5-6aab7ee1ebdb

We saw some of that last game which led to a bunch of tipped passes by the defense.

The real question is, is it easier to teach him to be more patient and find someone he can actually make a throw to or is it easier to teach Tyrod to throw to a guy that might look covered? My guess is it's easier to tone it down, but I don't know.

I really like the potential of Cardale. He moves in the pocket well and isn't afraid to make throws. It'll be fun watching him next pre-season (ugh).

Edited by elroy16

Sal said a few days ago that it's a real possibility that Cardale could be the starter next year.

I'd be ok with that, assuming he works hard in the offseason, and has a solid preseason. I'd also be ok with bringing in a competent vet, and have them platoon until CJ is ready, a la Don Strock/Dan Marino

What I find interesting about Cardale is he's kind of the opposite of Tyrod and EJ when it comes to his decision making. I think it would be easiest to explain this by referring to Lynn's comment on Cardale, "He’s never seen a receiver not open."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Receivers-syncing-up-with-EJ/175d0a14-1c05-4add-8fa5-6aab7ee1ebdb

We saw some of that last game which led to a bunch of tipped passes by the defense.

The real question is, is it easier to teach him to be more patient and find someone he can actually make a throw to or is it easier to teach Tyrod to throw to a guy that might look covered? My guess is it's easier to tone it down, but I don't know.

I really like the potential of Cardale. He moves in the pocket well and isn't afraid to make throws. It'll be fun watching him next pre-season (ugh).

I don't believe you will ever coach Tyrod to "throw guys open" -- it's just not in his DNA. He only throws when he trusts what he sees. I'm not saying that can't win you games, but it's not what the great QBs do.

Cardale is the opposite (as you state) -- I think he will have the ability to make some unreal plays, but we'll have to live with more INTs (similar to Kelly).

agreed on the bolded part, that's an inexperienced QB playing against an experienced D, but that can absolutely be corrected