AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

He never ask hardball questions

Sometimes it's less what you do, and more how you do it. Oh, and don't write stupid, slanted articles. I don't read the Buffalo guys, but I'm on here enough to not make me want to start.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys, who are two of my favorite posters by far, need to have a kumbaya moment. Badol is absolutely right about the media in a provincial and very old (relatively speaking, demographically) community like Buffalo, and you're absolutely right about Shady -- largely because Badol (and myself, to be honest) felt that good running backs are a dime a dozen (which they are!) and didn't realize that Shady is actually a Barry Sanders-like talent. But he's right about the media there. I know a ton of middle-aged to old people in Buffalo whose news comes from the local media. Really. It's the sort of thing that led Dems to discount the white working class in the Midwest by thinking that these people didn't exist (metaphorically) in electoral terms anymore. They do. But you were also absolutely right about McCoy. He's a phenomenal player.

I'm not arguing whether or not people still read the News. They totally do.

I'm arguing whether or not what they read in the news dictates whether or not they're Bills fans. It doesn't. At least it doesn't more than the Bills' record at the end of the year.

As for the rest, :beer:

I'm not arguing whether or not people still read the News. They totally do.

I'm arguing whether or not what they read in the news dictates whether or not they're Bills fans. It doesn't. At least it doesn't more than the Bills' record at the end of the year.

As for the rest, :beer:

You guys still need to have a kumbaya moment. Just sayin'.

I honestly think they went easy on him because of how poorly he was making himself look.

He's a far cry from Polian/Butler/Donahoe for sure.

I'm not a Whaley hater by nature.......he's average as a talent evaluator IMO........but he was just awkwardly lying and saying as little as possible.......it was kinda' pathetic.

It's clear that Whaley hates to do press conferences and always struggles to put together sentences that properly convey what he's trying to say. It's usually worse when he doesn't want to fully answer the questions the press are throwing at him. Today is the first time I heard someone mention that he overcame a speech impediment. If he did, it's doubly priceless that certain members of the local press are gloating that that they got the best of a stammering guy. Good for them. They showed us.

We clearly disagree.

Your referring to the Jets is interesting given that he got thrown under the bus there as well.

No he didn't! He got fired in New York because he created a dysfunctional mess. It wasn't Idzik's fault in New York (though nobody is going to argue he was good but he was hired to sort out a cap mess that signings Rex pushed for had created - sound familiar?) and it isn't Whaley's fault here.

Rex Ryan is not a good Head Football Coach. He is the only man in the history of the league to inherit winning teams in BOTH of his first 2 stops and he turned that into only two winning seasons and an overall losing record over 8 years. He is what his record says he is - a below average loser of a Head Coach.

We disagree and I am not blind.

I posted the other day a comparison of how Rex's defense did against common opponents of the Eagles whose defensive coordinator (according to some here) invented defense. I also mentioned that PFF rates the Eagles' starting defenders as slightly superior to the Bills defenders.

I did this not to diss Schwartz but to provide context and blunt this narrative that others have had. It is hard to get a defense to perform up to its capabilities when key guys are injured or suspended etc.

Just my two cents.

Injuries aside, there was just so much going wrong with the defense that was clearly a coaching issue. If your defense fields only 10 guys multiple times, something is wrong with coaching. that mistake shouldn't happen at all, and if it happens more than once, that is definitely coaching. Those mistakes shouldn't be happening with you are closing out the 2nd season in this system

Exactly. And Kim Pegula talked to Sal Capaccio. It is apparent who is respected by the Pegula's and who are left in the cold; the Buffalo News.

The assault will be even more relentless. In the end, it does not matter as they continue to try staying relevant.

Love me some JW, but fwiw, Bills PR staff went to AP because of its reach outside of Buffalo. They needed to tamp things down on a larger scale, not just in the Buffalo market.

JW and Sal said they reached out to the Pegula's and the Pegula's responded to them. The Pegula's did not initiate these interviews. I don't believe they care what x, y, z journalists think.

This is the pure damage control interview/article. Glad JW got the exclusive, but Terry wouldn't have done this had the Whaley interview not gone sideways and played to the notion that their is extreme disfunction.

Exactly, pretty obvious. Doesn't make up for this afternoon's train wreck though. :lol:

JW and Sal said they reached out to the Pegula's and the Pegula's responded to them. The Pegula's did not initiate these interviews. I don't believe they care what x, y, z journalists think.

Terry clearly does not like the News. He had a very public spat with Bucky over the Sabres.

this is too awesome our awesome paper can't get an interview. Ole Sully, Bucky, Vic, Jay, Tim all passing around congrats on twitter like they took apart Whaley. Meanwhile actual reporters contact Pegula. TBN caught with their pants down again. These guys are a joke that no other paper would hire which is why they are still here.

They are brutal, childish and unprofessional and are finding out Terry Pegula doesn't have to put up with amature hour. I love it The Buffalo News missing the bus AGAIN. Time to write another axe grinding article no one under 65 reads

There is telling information here. Pegulas took the meetings through the year with Whaley and made a decision on the fly to summarize his thoughts and fire a HC 1 week left in the year without informing the GM. Terry is the Owner and the President and doesn't need to communicate to his subjects. He then listens to the man he is firing and promotes OC Lynn for interim HC. They have a briefing with Whaley after that and in 1 session lay this out to Lynn who then throw him out on the Podium to answer to the media. NO PROBLEM!

they are watching the games. If you are too... how can they ignore what is taking place?

They just fired their coach two years into a five year deal. How is that ignoring whats taking place. Are they suppossed to firebomb the Ralph as well?

this is too awesome our awesome paper can't get an interview. Ole Sully, Bucky, Vic, Jay, Tim all passing around congrats on twitter like they took apart Whaley. Meanwhile actual reporters contact Pegula. TBN caught with their pants down again. These guys are a joke that no other paper would hire which is why they are still here.

They are brutal, childish and unprofessional and are finding out Terry Pegula doesn't have to put up with amature hour. I love it The Buffalo News missing the bus AGAIN. Time to write another axe grinding article no one under 65 reads

100% agreed with your thoughts here about the local media... And I live locally. I also have noticed the national scoops on buf are more inaccurate now too. Sources are tightened up under the new regime. Seems like the local people they tap for info are guessing lots of times.