GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

I think Whaley would have been better off saying

"we have issued a statement on the firing of RR and I am not going to comment further on that we are going to discuss going forward things"

any questions?

and simply move on from any question that baited him.....next question.

It would have achieved the same result

or dont attempt to silence them.....because you wont

Just my opinion, but what was needed here was DW to reassure and smooth the waters by presenting the message that the Bills house is in order and they are on (or getting on) the same page.

Everyone knows RR was fired. Everyone ought to know that it was an "organizational decision".

Instead his answers admitted cluelessness and like he has the authority of a spectator filling a seat behind a desk with a "GM" sign on it.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it was not he medias fault. It was their purpose. I laughed so hard when it was asked a couple times. So what is your job Doug. It was hurtful but he deserved it for lying

What do you want him to say? Rex didn't report to him so Pegulas had all the power to fire or retain him. Doesn't matter what Whaley thinks about the Rex firing. Not his job. Whaley came across as a loyal employee to the Pegulas.

Reading between the lines, and using my Captain Crunch secret decoder ring, Whaley is going to use the coaching search to try to change the organizational structure so the coach reports to him instead of Pegs.

There are both ways teams do it. There are not a lot of big names out there this year. If there were a couple big names with good resumes, there would be a greater chance that the structure would remain the same. But chances are great it will now be the HC will report to Whaley. If it's Cowher or Gruden or Sean Peyton they will have a ton of power. Chances are it's not going to be a guy like that. They just aren't out there.

@JoeBuscaglia

Doug Whaley is seriously trying to make us believe that he hasn't thought about if he agreed/disagreed with the Rex firing. What?

clearly his approach today was that he wasnt going to get into the rex situation at all -- reporters getting testy with him for giving bs answers really did a lot for all of us.

Just my opinion, but what was needed here was DW to reassure and smooth the waters by presenting the message that the Bills house is in order and they are on (or getting on) the same page.

Everyone knows RR was fired. Everyone ought to know that it was an "organizational decision".

Instead his answers admitted cluelessness and like he has the authority of a spectator filling a seat behind a desk with a "GM" sign on it.

I get that.

I suppose my question is why keep pushing on the Rex issue. For me, I don't care about the how's and why's of Rex's firing. He needed to go, I think that was obvious. They just seemed to interested in the process of firing Rex.

And it's odd because last week it was the TT benching. They asked a hand full of questions about TT.

Did Bucky make it about race? No, that's your filter. He followed up and said he didn't mean it to sound crass, given Whaley's lack of power he wanted to know what he really did.

Perfectly understandable that a guy would deliberately be a douche, but follow up with how he didn't mean to be a douche, all the while fully understanding that he and he alone actively pursued douchebaggery.

The point being he didnt have anyone else to do the interview.

The pegulas did.

But he made the decision, as did the Pegulas who didn't have enough respect for Whaley to even tell him why. So they should be answering the questions, they're the only ones with the answers. The owners made Whaley look weak.

If you fall in the camp that hiring Rex was a bad decision, at whose feet did he lay that "blame"?

Also, the way he characterized everything he is just an innocent bystander while ownership or others make all of the decisions and he is informed after the fact.

The guy goes so far out of the way to avoid any responsibility (after the fact) for any decision that others may believe to be bad, he acts like he was in the bathroom while all of these decisions were made by others.

If I were the owner, I would be pissed.

Unless they were in the right at the time of the hiring and the many reports that it wasn't Whaley's first choice were true and the Pegulas obviously know that as a fact.

Unless they were in the right at the time of the hiring and the many reports that it wasn't Whaley's first choice were true and the Pegulas obviously know that as a fact.

And I'll say that he covered for the Pegula's by not answering if rex was his choice and then later said he was. Ended up taking more heat for it but was a smart move for sure to keep in their good graces.

Edited by The Wiz

Perfectly understandable that a guy would deliberately be a douche, but follow up with how he didn't mean to be a douche, all the while fully understanding that he and he alone actively pursued douchebaggery.

He asked what many fans would like to know, just what do you do as GM since the Pegulas seem to have cut you out of major decisions. What else do they decide without consulting you?