12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Come on! What Whaley did is get Rex the players he wanted in UFA and the draft. OBD allowed him to have 27 assistants on his staff including his twin brother. They then watched him fail miserably with regard to building an excellent defense and repeat the same old mistakes that plagued him as the NYJ HC.

Lynn has his big boy pants on and will not turn down his opportunity.

Thank you. Whaley went above and beyond what GMs do to get their coach the players he wanted. They worked together to get the roster they thought they needed. I think they actually liked each other, or at least got along, until Whaley saw what most fans did early this season, that the defense really wasn't that good. By the time the season was two thirds over he knew that Rex wasn't going to fix this defense and had to go. It's pretty much how I felt. If you didn't like Rex from the start I don't think he makes, say, the Ragland trade.

The coward was afraid and has been afraid to answer any questions this week when the HC was fired. The Bills PR Department knows that he cannot get away without attending the end of year PC. By not making him available today, they cut down SUBSTANTIALLY the amount of time that he would have to answer questions as well as the focus of today v. next week.

One guy who really sucks at his job, imo, is Bertchold.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the PC in its entirety.

First I've ever seen of him speaking.

He does not impress as being particularly intelligent.

Does Mike Tomlin seem intelligent? Just an honest question. Did Rex? Does Bill Cowher? All Meatheads but all know the game.

Poor was a poor choice of words...point was Whaley is clearly in charge now and he needs to take that responsibility -- that's not whining that's leadership..

Clearly in charge of what? Leading the HC search. Not firing Rex. He will address the HC search after the season on Monday. If they wanted to put someone out there ahead of Lynn to answer Rex questions it should have been Terry, Kim, or Russ. Edited by YoloinOhio

How is that an evaluation of Schwartz? It would be better to compare how Philly's D has changed from last year.

If Schwartz were such a god like figure as some make him out to be, one would think:

That his Eagles defense (without all of the Bills injuries and street free agents) would be head and shoulders above Rex.

That his HC record would not be so inferior to Rex's even though Schwartz had he benefit of Matthew Stafford.

I am not saying I do not like Schwartz, I just don't think that anything Schwartz has done is compelling evidence in favor of any secret recommendation that St. Doug Whaley made to the Pegulas two years ago.

Edited by Peter

As for Schwartzy, I posted last week (as I recall) that Schwartzy's defense had given up about the exact same amount of yards as the Bills have given up (even though the Eagles have not had the depth of injuries etc as the Bills have). I have nothing against Schwartz and appreciate that he did a good job for the year he was here, but all of this sounds like Whaley pushing his own narrative and working to undermine the HC.

To be fair to Schwartz, the Eagles are 6th in defensive DVOA and have played the hardest schedule in terms of offenses faced in the entire league. The Bills' D has faced the 29th hardest schedule in terms of offense. They are 24th in DVOA.

If Schwartz were such a god like figure as some make him out to be, one would think:

That his Eagles defense (without all of the Bills injuries and street free agents) would be head and shoulders above Rex.

It is heads and shoulders above Rex's. Take a trip over to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Edited by dave mcbride

Clearly in charge of what? Leading the HC search. Not firing Rex. He will address the HC search after the season on Monday. If they wanted to put someone out there ahead of Lynn to answer Rex questions it should have been Terry, Kim, or Russ.

Can you imagine how ballistic people would be going here if they had trotted out Russ Brandon for an interview about those topics? Terry would have been best no doubt.

Thank you. Whaley went above and beyond what GMs do to get their coach the players he wanted. They worked together to get the roster they thought they needed. I think they actually liked each other, or at least got along, until Whaley saw what most fans did early this season, that the defense really wasn't that good. By the time the season was two thirds over he knew that Rex wasn't going to fix this defense and had to go. It's pretty much how I felt. If you didn't like Rex from the start I don't think he makes, say, the Ragland trade.

Exactly. And all of the Jet players; you really think Whaley was the one jumping to sign Enemkpali? And the Whaley haters like to bring up that Tyrod was a Rex guy, how does that play now? It's all such a bunch of nonsense.

Can you imagine how ballistic people would be going here if they had trotted out Russ Brandon for an interview about those topics? Terry would have been best no doubt.

He is the Team President. He represents the owners at owners meeting and such. He could certainly handle a press conference.

The coward was afraid and has been afraid to answer any questions this week when the HC was fired. The Bills PR Department knows that he cannot get away without attending the end of year PC. By not making him available today, they cut down SUBSTANTIALLY the amount of time that he would have to answer questions as well as the focus of today v. next week.

They have a game to play this week and what the Bills are doing is not uncommon during in-season firings of head coaches. It's already a circus and there is nothing to gain for the players and coaches that sill have a job to do by adding to that. I know you want your pound of flesh, but Wednesday during game week is not the time to extract it. There are practical reasons for keeping it as close to normal as possible. I thought Lynn did a good job of that and Whaley's time will come next week.

I don't agree that it cut down on any time Whaley will have to answer questions. The media, some with clear cut agendas, will certainly have more time to prepare.

To be fair to Schwartz, the Eagles are 6th in defensive DVOA and have played the hardest schedule in terms of offenses faced in the entire league. The Bills' D has faced the 29th hardest schedule in terms of offense. They are 24th in DVOA.

It is heads and shoulders above Rex's. Take a trip over to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Schwartz not as well received in Philly as he is with some of his fans here and also shares Doug Whaley's fondness for NOT answering questions:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/407367356.html?mobi=true

Funny, I came away with Lynn being a Cardale Jones backer! LOL

His critique of Taylor not using the middle of the field and that he'd have to work on it in the off season signaled to me that he'd rather have Jones back there next year as his eventual starting QB. That was a total "whoops" slip when he said Jones was his starter.

I took that as refreshingly honest. He's recognizing what we've all noticed, and saying it's something they have to work on and improve in the off-season. I loved that he didn't dance around it.

He is the Team President. He represents the owners at owners meeting and such. He could certainly handle a press conference.

I have no doubt he could. I am thinking that people would be going ballistic reading into it and saying that Russ is now involved in finding a new head coach. There would be a new thread about it on here for sure.