12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Have to agree with one of the comments in that thread; his guys seem to be making out like bandits in all of this. Everyone getting paid to not work for the Bills.

That said, it does paint another sad picture of this organization.

But Marrone's career was ravaged by the decision regardless of the money he pocketed.

And the Pegulas have proven over and over they don't care one bit about paying players or coaches to not be here if they don't think that player or coach can help win now, the way 90+% of all owners in all sports do. They could care less about paying out Rex's 16.5m or Marrone's few millions. Doesn't enter the equation like it does elsewhere.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Marrone's career was ravaged by the decision regardless of the money he pocketed.

And the Pegulas have proven over and over they don't care one bit about paying players or coaches to not be here if they don't think that player or coach can help win now, the way 90+% of all owners in all sports do. They could care less about paying out Rex's 16.5m or Marrone's few millions. Doesn't enter the equation like it does elsewhere.

I agree with both points; I was mainly just referencing Graham's point about Sexton not being happy with the Bills front office.

My point about painting a bad picture really just boils down to hiring our 3rd coach in 5 years. Not that it really has anything to do with who their agent is, but it just kind of all jumbles together at this point. Easier to say it would just be nice to NOT have to read that comment.

Edited by Acantha

Dunno about that. If Marrone wins on Sunday, he'll be back at .500! Seriously, his career probably ain't over. Plus he's really rich now.

Lynn doesn't win the press conference like Rex, but maybe he can count to 11.

You do realize that whoever was responsible for counting to 11 is still employed by the Buffalo Bills and will be on the sideline against the Jets.

Dunno about that. If Marrone wins on Sunday, he'll be back at .500! Seriously, his career probably ain't over. Plus he's really rich now.

The point is only the moves didn't help them it hurt them. People put way too much emphasis on money equating to happiness. If Marrone knew he wouldn't get a job immediately he never would have quit, he never would have demanded raises for his assistants. Jimmy Sexton, in a way, screwed Marrone as much as Marrone screwed himself. The Bills and the Pegulas were not the jerks, nor did they make the wrong decision. They made the right one. And they didn't hire Marrone. The Rex hire in restrospect was a terrible decision. But at least they realized it after two and not three or four years and did it now.

I agree with both points; I was mainly just referencing Graham's point about Sexton not being happy with the Bills front office.

My point about painting a bad picture really just boils down to hiring our 3rd coach in 5 years. Not that it really has anything to do with who their agent is, but it just kind of all jumbles together at this point. Easier to say it would just be nice to NOT have to read that comment.

i didn't read the comment but Sexton should be unhappy with Rex not coaching well, not for the bills acting to move on. The true accountability is on the one whose job it was to fulfill the duties he was being paid for.

Agreed...Whaley should have been the 1st person to speak...Period...Seems pretty bush-league to me...Like throwing Lynn to the lions...How could they not know that would look bad? B-)

Everyone knows why Rex got fired. Everyone can surmise why Tyrod isn't starting. Hell, Lynn told you. Business decision.

My prediction? Come Monday Whey ain't giving up state secrets about the inner workings of the Bills. Monday afternoon all the usual Buff News squad will be pissed and say Whaley wasn't straight forward and he should go. And half the fans will get hysterical and be all over social media talking about what a joke the Bills are and woe is us. September will come and they will sit there and watch the games.

You do realize that whoever was responsible for counting to 11 is still employed by the Buffalo Bills and will be on the sideline against the Jets.

It probably the third Ryan brother Jeff Weeks...who should have been fired yesterday as well...

The point is only the moves didn't help them it hurt them. People put way too much emphasis on money equating to happiness. If Marrone knew he wouldn't get a job immediately he never would have quit, he never would have demanded raises for his assistants. Jimmy Sexton, in a way, screwed Marrone as much as Marrone screwed himself. The Bills and the Pegulas were not the jerks, nor did they make the wrong decision. They made the right one. And they didn't hire Marrone. The Rex hire in restrospect was a terrible decision. But at least they realized it after two and not three or four years and did it now.

You have no idea about this. For all you know, Marrone hated it here and was absolutely desperate to get out, future be damned. And in retrospect, it does appear that he hated the organization. And perhaps that was making him unhappy.

It probably the third Ryan brother Jeff Weeks...who should have been fired yesterday as well...

Still need a staff in place to play the last game (no matter the outcome). Regardless of the head coach, the defensive staff is gone, so who really cares.

You have no idea about this. For all you know, Marrone hated it here and was absolutely desperate to get out, future be damned. And in retrospect, it does appear that he hated the organization. And perhaps that was making him unhappy.

Highly, highly unlikely. And I do know something about it. He hated the organization because he pulled a power play and they called him on it and then no one stuck up for him when he left, because he didn't deserve it.

Sexton can be upset. His clients need to do their jobs better.

Highly, highly unlikely. And I do know something about it. He hated the organization because he pulled a power play and they called him on it and then no one stuck up for him when he left, because he didn't deserve it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like the guy. He sounds like a miserable person. But he may be happier now than he was here. We just don't know.

It's interesting to hear the different takes on the press conference. I wonder if some were just listening to it and didn't see it. While he did seem a little nervous, he also came across as a no nonsense coach who has a great coaches "glare"...LOL I think the days of the Bills head coach covering for players' mistakes are over. Lynn would bring back accountability as a motivator for players to do their job.

Lynn did about as well as anyone could considering the circumstances. To me, he seems like the natural (and best) choice for this Bills team that IMO doesn't need an overhaul and is ready to win now.

I liked when he said everybody is different. We were all raised by different mothers. I have a feeling his momma was just like my momma. No nonsense. Get good grades, be home for supper, treat people right and respect your elders. Or its whoopin season.

I can tell why the players would respect A Lynn when he talks. You can never really know somebody especially their intentions but from all the videos I've seen of Lynn, he seems VERY honest, humble and just a straight up guy. He probably also doesn't like clowns so that's a plus.

Marrone hated it so much that he asked for two year extensions for himself and his entire staff in the days before his resignation and the Jets opportunity crystallized. Now, there is no doubt that there was friction at times between the ever irascible Marrone and Whaley (with Brandon often playing mediator), and I'm sure it wasn't always a bowl full of cherries (what working situation is?), but asking for contract extensions is not the act of a man desperate to leave.

Edited by K-9

Don't get me wrong - I don't like the guy. He sounds like a miserable person. But he may be happier now than he was here. We just don't know.

Take a guess? Head Coach even if it is in a place you don't like (and since he is so miserable he probably doesn't really like anywhere anymore than anywhere else despite his public pronouncements)? Or OL coach on a worse team whose understudy was chosen to run the offense when the HC was fired, and even though is the interim HC is not expected to get the open job?

I give Lynn a lot of credit... the front office fed him to the wolves and he took the lumps. He's got character at the very least.

That being said, Terry, Russ, and Whaley should be out there answering questions. Lynn was not involved in the QB decision and he didn't fire Rex. The questions he got were more appropriate for the front office.

Whaley got what he wanted...now he needs to start acting like he is in charge. He is not teflon man any longer. He has to own everything that happens from yesterday forward with this franchise. That should have started with him addressing the media yesterday instead of rolling out poor Anthony Lynn as team spokesperson. Lynn did a serviceable job given that backdrop.

Talking to the fans -- even on the John Murphy show or a Chris Brown softball session-- is an important part of the job.

I know he is on the road scouting bowl games (Seniors only apparently) but he is now the face of this franchise and he needs to at least look like he understands the role--not roll out his first day coach to take the hits...

Jesus he wants to be an NFL coach, that's what they do. Press conferences are , and will always be useless, meaningless crap. Poor Anthony Lynn, Where's DW?people are so damn whiny.

@JimTrotter_NFL

Anthony Lynn deserves better than what the Buffalo Bills did to him today with that press conference. Talk about setting him up to look bad.

Lynn does deserve better. I like his loyalty and think the guy has a lot of character. I would not be surprised if he turns down working with Doug Whaley given his knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes.

Whaley got what he wanted...now he needs to start acting like he is in charge. He is not teflon man any longer. He has to own everything that happens from yesterday forward with this franchise. That should have started with him addressing the media yesterday instead of rolling out poor Anthony Lynn as team spokesperson. Lynn did a serviceable job given that backdrop.

Talking to the fans -- even on the John Murphy show or a Chris Brown softball session-- is an important part of the job.

I know he is on the road scouting bowl games (Seniors only apparently) but he is now the face of this franchise and he needs to at least look like he understands the role--not roll out his first day coach to take the hits...

Doug Whaley wants to lead the team and got his way in throwing Rex under the bus with ownership and the leaks.

If the guy wants to be a leader - then lead and do not be a coward by refusing to answer any questions this week.

Rex told Pegula that if you're going to fire me do it now - so they mutually agreed to do it with a week to go in the season.

Organizationally, they decided to start EJ against the Jets so as to not expose Tyrod to injury which would trigger the start of the pending contract signed in the spring.

This also gives the team a little more leverage than they had in renegotiating Tyrod's deal - at least until March.

I think Tyrod is the Bills QB until they find their "Tom Brady". Hopefully, he continues to grow and improve.

Whaley earned Pegula's trust and respect because a lot of his decisions have been proven correct.

He wanted Hue Jackson as HC & Schwartz to remain DC - seems like we should have gone in that direction now, doesn't it?

Sammy is proving to be nearly unstoppable - when healthy - not Whaley's fault Sammy has struggled with injury.

Whaley has added Incognito, Zach Brown and LorAx. Solid pro additions.

This is why Pegula put him in charge of the next coaching decision, he realizes he should have listened to him 2 years ago.

Rex was not responsible for putting that stupid clause in the contract - the front office was.

How many times have we heard St. Doug Whaley say that he was in charge of the 53 and Rex was in charge of the 46. I guess that did not apply - especially when the GM agreed to that stupid clause in TT's contract.

This business of Hue Jackson and Schwartzy is humorous. Maybe, we now know where all this business about these guys was coming from. How do we even know how good coach Hue. Nothing against him, but given the year Cleveland is having (not really Hue's fault) how can Doug Whaley make the case that hey look at me and how right I was that Hue is a better HC?

As for Schwartzy, I posted last week (as I recall) that Schwartzy's defense had given up about the exact same amount of yards as the Bills have given up (even though the Eagles have not had the depth of injuries etc as the Bills have). I have nothing against Schwartz and appreciate that he did a good job for the year he was here, but all of this sounds like Whaley pushing his own narrative and working to undermine the HC.

I think it was a poor show of the Bills. When Philadelphia fired Chip two games frm the end of last season the owner did a press conference the same day. Took the sting of the "what about the future?" questions. That is what the Bills should have done and if Berchtold and Jenkins had anything about them that is what they'd have advised.

It is a bad look. If Doug Whaley wants total control as GM he should stop being a coward - especially after undermining the HC with ownership and leaks to the media.

Doug, you got what you wanted, your absence this week only confirms my suspicions about you and deep disappointment. Again, this is all a bad look to anyone who might be in demand when they consider how the GM undermined the HC.

Edited by Peter