12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Seems that the decision to sit Taylor makes sense if it is really about Taylor and the injury clause. Does not necessarily mean that he will not be brought back. Could renegotiate his contract.

Taylor is as good as gone. There is noway he will want to come back after how this went down. Some team is going to pay him next year. He will start for another team next year & my guess is he is going to stick it up Pegulas ass for the next 5-7 years. Taylor is the best QB we have had since Kelly & everybody is so quick to run him out of town. Becareful what you wish for. Just watch what we have under center next year. It is going to get ugly.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. If you like Goff, LA may not be a bad gig. Although you will have your first two years in a crappy stadium with crappy fans, and if you don't succeed quick they could give you just the two and then start all over in a new stadium with another new coach and a full house of crappy fans.

Still better than here.

Seriously though, what is it that Whaley could possibly say, especially since he was not the guy who fired Rex? This was the regular mandated Wednesday HC press conference.

It's not about that to me...It's about how it looks...The 1st presser you have after you fire a coach and you don't get up there as a GM and answer questions? I get that it's the normal Wednesday thing...So? It's such a Bills thing to do...Like it's just business as usual...Wednesday presser...Nothing to see here...We're concentrating on the Jets... :lol:

I don't know...Not saying it's a huge thing but to me it just comes across as amateur hour...Looks like Whaley is afraid of facing the tough questions whether that's true or not....Just looks that way to me... B-)

It's interesting to hear the different takes on the press conference. I wonder if some were just listening to it and didn't see it. While he did seem a little nervous, he also came across as a no nonsense coach who has a great coaches "glare"...LOL I think the days of the Bills head coach covering for players' mistakes are over. Lynn would bring back accountability as a motivator for players to do their job.

Lynn did about as well as anyone could considering the circumstances. To me, he seems like the natural (and best) choice for this Bills team that IMO doesn't need an overhaul and is ready to win now.

The one thing I liked was that he was no nonsense. I think he will be much more of a disciplinarian than Rex was. I don't want this to get political but he came across as Colin Powell to me. He has his own viewpoint and strong opinions but comes from a military background and takes orders from superior officiers and does not badmouth them in public regardless of those personal opinions. When put in charge himself he is a no nonsense guy.

Taylor is as good as gone. There is noway he will want to come back after how this went down. Some team is going to pay him next year. He will start for another team next year & my guess is he is going to stick it up Pegulas ass for the next 5-7 years. Taylor is the best QB we have had since Kelly & everybody is so quick to run him out of town. Becareful what you wish for. Just watch what we have under center next year. It is going to get ugly.

If Lynn is the coach I think TT is 90% his guy.

He doesn't have the option, the team does. It is clear that Lynn would prefer him on Sunday, but Lynn also knows the business decision. This doesn't take money out of TT's pocket. It just gives the bills full flexibility in their evaluation. If the Bills were tied to TT because of an injury, that might scare off coaching prospects.

If Lynn is hired, he may lobby for TT after all.

Edited by dulles

Whaley just threw Lynn to the wolves because he's a coward and is only looking out for his self interests. He should have been the one answering for Rex being fired and Tyrod being benched.

I think the reason Whaley has not spoke is for the players so that there are as little distractions (after the huge distraction of the HC being fired) as possible because there is a final game to play. If Whaley did have a presser, it would have been the only thing talked about and then you would have players asked to chime in...then franchise drama...blah, blah, blah. Just not what you want to do to the players on the team. The Whaley presser can wait till Monday.

I think the reason Whaley has not spoke is for the players so that there are as little distractions (after the huge distraction of the HC being fired) as possible because there is a final game to play. If Whaley did have a presser, it would have been the only thing talked about and then you would have players asked to chime in...then franchise drama...blah, blah, blah. Just not what you want to do to the players on the team. The Whaley presser can wait till Monday.

Fair enough...Then make a statement to that point and walk away from the podium...That's all... B-)

The one thing I liked was that he was no nonsense. I think he will be much more of a disciplinarian than Rex was. I don't want this to get political but he came across as Colin Powell to me. He has his own viewpoint and strong opinions but comes from a military background and takes orders from superior officiers and does not badmouth them in public regardless of those personal opinions. When put in charge himself he is a no nonsense guy.

If Lynn is the coach I think TT is 90% his guy.

Funny, I came away with Lynn being a Cardale Jones backer! LOL

His critique of Taylor not using the middle of the field and that he'd have to work on it in the off season signaled to me that he'd rather have Jones back there next year as his eventual starting QB. That was a total "whoops" slip when he said Jones was his starter.

I don't think it's quite so cut and dry. Players understand the business. Tyrod isn't going to be a child about his next multi-million dollar contract, especially when his agent negotiated the deal that has him in the position he's in.

BTW, does TT even have a choice if the Bills decide to keep him?

I hope he's not gone...because I agree he's going to be a fine QB for several years. People here are so frustrated not making the playoffs for a generation that a good QB is about to be run out of town. If they want him throwing the ball in the middle of the field, they will work on it in the offseason. I'm not obsessed with that concept like many of the posters here. Tyrod can make all the throws.

All this trying to read between the lines and find a way to "catch" everyone is pointless.

I think the thing that I found most interesting in the interview, is that he CLEARLY has what he considers a better plan to coach up Tyrod. If there was anything surprising to me is that the horde didn't try to follow up and get him to more clearly throw Roman under the bus. Guess it doesn't matter since he's not here anymore, but stills surprised they didn't want that little bit of blood.

I kind of got that impression too but I was hoping for more quotes. You saw him change the typed of plays that got called, but he didn't really have time to install his own system.

He doesn't have the option, the team does. It is clear that Lynn would prefer him on Sunday, but Lynn also knows the business decision. This doesn't take money out of TT's pocket. It just gives the bills full flexibility in their evaluation. If the Bills were tied to TT because of an injury, that might scare off coaching prospects.

If Lynn is hired, he may lobby for TT after all.

Obviously they are not going to pay him the $30 million so they are going to have to renegotiate. If he gets anywhere close to the money the Bills are offering him & gets to be the starter there is noway he is coming back.

I don't view Taylor's benching as the end of his Bills tenure. I believe this is a business move. What happens in the off season will decide whether he comes back.

As for Lynn, I like him as a person. He does seem a bit overwhelmed. The fact that he "handled himself well" isn't a consolation prize to me. As much as naming him HC would be a cool feel good story I don't believe he's the best choice available. I believe there are more prepared and polished choices out there that can be the piller of our franchise and turn this around.

I've already made my case for my choice. Unfortunately it's not Lynn.

@JoeBuscaglia

For reference, the other two in-season firings... Rams & Jags, both had front office people talk day of. Demoff for LA, Caldwell for JAX.

It's just the right look...That's all...Whaley literally could have got up there and made a statement scheduling his presser next week...

I don't know...Not that it's a huge thing...Just came across as amateur hour to me... B-)

His critique of Taylor not using the middle of the field and that he'd have to work on it in the off season signaled to me that he'd rather have Jones back there next year as his eventual starting QB. That was a total "whoops" slip when he said Jones was his starter.

He also praised Tyrod in that he always gives you a chance to win because he does not turn it over. You could tell Lynn likes that quality. Last I saw of EJ he was turning it over...and Cardale also throws some risky 50/50 balls down the middle of the field. I think this is a courtesy start for EJ, part business decision...part giving a good guy a chance to start one more game. I don't think they re-sign EJ.

The ball will be in the Bills court and I'm sure he's smart enough to understand it's a smart business decision to sit him out in a meaningless game.

I took it completely opposite. If he wanted Cardale he never would have talked about helping TT pass over the middle of the field in the off season. That was a specific reference to a specific player, and implying that he can make TT a much better overall passer if he has that off season.

Lynn should have been more prepared to answer questions on the benching of Tyrod. Whaley is safe so he didn't want to risk Tyrod getting hurt playing for a HC who not even be with the team next year. It was always his decision to make but Lynn should have been more prepared to at least make it sound like everyone is on the same page.

Edited by Bangarang

It's just the right look...That's all...Whaley literally could have got up there and made a statement scheduling his presser next week...

I don't know...Not that it's a huge thing...Just came across as amateur hour to me... B-)

I agree. Whaley not talking to the press when Ryan was let go is a bad look.