12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Respectfully disagree. If Rex had actually delivered on the defensive side of the ball, we'd be playing a meaningful game in week 17. He didn't, we aren't.

I personally think we are closer than many feel. If Lynn becomes HC, I do not care about his pressers, just the product on the field.

Career minded NFL types don't work for franchises where the front office (read: Whaley and staff) actively undermines the previous HC and leaves the interim guy to handle questions about things he doesn't control.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously - but why do they dangle their interim HC out there and make him own that decision?

I think it was a poor show of the Bills. When Philadelphia fired Chip two games frm the end of last season the owner did a press conference the same day. Took the sting of the "what about the future?" questions. That is what the Bills should have done and if Berchtold and Jenkins had anything about them that is what they'd have advised.

If anyone should have addressed the media yesterday, it should have been Team President Russ Brandon. IMO that's part of his job. Whaley was a peer of Rex in this organization.

I agree. I have a feeling the idea in the organization was to hang their hat on the statement issued by Pegula yesterday. They had to know Lynn was going to get heat being the first guy to stand in front of the media. IMO, the GM SHOULD be the guy who is responsible for all of this, which is why I think everything about the Rex hire was a complete jumble !@#$ by the Pegula's. They really screwed things up and now wasted two more years to start getting things right.

Not sure why everybody can't read between the lines. The team doesn't fire Rex on the Monday after the game. He holds his regular Monday press conference and states Tyrod is the starter. The next day Rex is fired and its announced EJ is starting.

Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Rex would be here one more week if he would have agreed to start EJ. He got fired now because he was going to go with TT despite it not being in the team's best long term interests due to the injury clause.

Why do people need to hear Lynn say he was or wasn't part of the decison? We know he wasn't. We know why the decison was made.

I wil say that I'm generally a supporter of Whaley as GM but is f'n weak as hell that he never spoke to the press about Rex's firing and then threw Lynn up there to take the hard questions.

A guy who started the year as RB coach is left to take those questions? Really disappointed in ownership and management for handling it this way. If I'm a potential coaching candidate I look at that with raised eyebrows. That's the leadership this team has?

Good post. Whaley is effing weak for not facing the music. Harry Truman said it best: the buck stops here. Not with Whaley, however, when it comes to dealing with the press.

I think it was a poor show of the Bills. When Philadelphia fired Chip two games frm the end of last season the owner did a press conference the same day. Took the sting of the "what about the future?" questions. That is what the Bills should have done and if Berchtold and Jenkins had anything about them that is what they'd have advised.

Pegula hates the press and hates talking in public. That was never going to happen.

If Lynn is the coach I think TT is 90% his guy.

I think TT is probably gone. I'm not happy about it, but that certainly seems to be the way the wind is blowing. Lynn gets a one-game audition and doesn't get to play the superior QB? If they have a serious intention of keeping Taylor, that's completely nonsensical. It's a business decision, and the business is that they don't want to pay him what his current contract calls for. That's how I see it, at least.

Good post. Whaley is effing weak for not facing the music. Harry Truman said it best: the buck stops here. Not with Whaley, however, when it comes to dealing with the press.

Whaley didn't fire Rex. We don't know what kind of power Whaley is going to have going further because it depends on who the guy is. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pegulas want to hire a big name although they won't be able to do it. If they do, then Whaley will have less power than he does now. Chances are, however, it's going to be Lynn and then Whaley will assume a more typical GM job with the HC reporting to him. At that point, he would be and should be responsible for stuff like today.

I think TT is probably gone. I'm not happy about it, but that certainly seems to be the way the wind is blowing. Lynn gets a one-game audition and doesn't get to play the superior QB? If they have a serious intention of keeping Taylor, that's completely nonsensical. It's a business decision, and the business is that they don't want to pay him what his current contract calls for. That's how I see it, at least.

I am curious as to why you think he is gone....because he didnt play the final game?

Whaley didn't fire Rex. We don't know what kind of power Whaley is going to have going further because it depends on who the guy is. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pegulas want to hire a big name although they won't be able to do it. If they do, then Whaley will have less power than he does now. Chances are, however, it's going to be Lynn and then Whaley will assume a more typical GM job with the HC reporting to him. At that point, he would be and should be responsible for stuff like today.

If you don't think Whaley didn't have a strong hand in firing Rex, then I want what you're smoking. I'm not a Ryan fan, btw. I do like Taylor, though, and I'm alarmed about where I think things are headed. Granted, you're more pollyannish about his chances of remaining with the Bills. We'll know for sure round about March 4.

They don't know who the coach is going to be, nor should they. Chances are it is Lynn but that is just the likelihood. And the new coach should have a big say in whether he wants TT or not. I think the Pegulas are going to try to get someone like Cowher or Gruden who are not likely to bite. And interview a bunch of guys and then decide on Lynn and say he was our guy all along, which will mostly be true. Then they will pick up the option and TT is Lynn's guy. I think it was pretty clear in the press conference that Lynn likes TT.

Career minded NFL types don't work for franchises where the front office (read: Whaley and staff) actively undermines the previous HC and leaves the interim guy to handle questions about things he doesn't control.

It's the regularly scheduled HC presser and I think Ryan undermined himself with consistent mediocrity. Edited by Bronc24

I don't think you're seeing it right. But it's possible you are :). I'd be willing to bet TT will be here with us next season.

KTD has the teal leaves read correctly (IMO)

I am curious as to why you think he is gone....because he didnt play the final game?

Not so much that - he's a Rex guy and he's an unconventional player. Whaley is a Big Ben guy (he was one of their top scouts when he was drafted, actually), and he always saw Manuel as that type of player - big boned, tall, and big-armed. Unfortunately, Manuel isn't any good, but I can't believe Whaley doesn't have a certain vision of the QB position in mind, and that Taylor ain't it.

If you don't think Whaley didn't have a strong hand in firing Rex, then I want what you're smoking. I'm not a Ryan fan, btw. I do like Taylor, though, and I'm alarmed about where I think things are headed. Granted, you're more pollyannish about his chances of remaining with the Bills. We'll know for sure round about March 4.

I think Whaley had a huge hand in firing Rex. I'm talking about the power structure that the Pegulas created before this season with the HC reporting to them and not to the GM, and therefore Whaley would not be the guy. I think he surely wanted Rex gone and lobbied the Pegulas for it.

They don't know who the coach is going to be, nor should they. Chances are it is Lynn but that is just the likelihood. And the new coach should have a big say in whether he wants TT or not. I think the Pegulas are going to try to get someone like Cowher or Gruden who are not likely to bite. And interview a bunch of guys and then decide on Lynn and say he was our guy all along, which will mostly be true. Then they will pick up the option and TT is Lynn's guy. I think it was pretty clear in the press conference that Lynn likes TT.

I think you're too sanguine about Whaley granting the coach power over the QB. It may be the case that they'll find a better QB than Taylor via the draft this year, but I'm not optimistic. They won't find that QB on the open market though.

I think you're too sanguine about Whaley granting the coach power over the QB. It may be the case that they'll find a better QB than Taylor via the draft this year, but I'm not optimistic. They won't find that QB on the open market though.

I don't think the Pegulas are giving Whaley as much power as it seems. And I think Whaley is a pretty smart guy overall. His job if not his career is on the line with this hire and this team. There is not a good FA idea or draft idea this year and I very much doubt he is going to bet his career on a fourth round potential Prescott. He also loves Watkins and he's not an idiot like a lot of people here who don't see the difference in TT with a healthy Watkins.

Ultimately, when all is said and done, I think Whaley hires the coach because there are not any or we can't get a huge name, he decides on Lynn, and he and Lynn decide on TT. Obviously just my opinion but I think pretty strongly that is what will ultimately happen even though there will be all kinds of reports to the contrary.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Not so much that - he's a Rex guy and he's an unconventional player. Whaley is a Big Ben guy (he was one of their top scouts when he was drafted, actually), and he always saw Manuel as that type of player - big boned, tall, and big-armed. Unfortunately, Manuel isn't any good, but I can't believe Whaley doesn't have a certain vision of the QB position in mind, and that Taylor ain't it.

Apropos of the Big Ben comparison: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/190988-breaking-news-rex-ryan-and-rob-ryan-fired/?p=4184454