12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about I go with a big money US sport in which the GM faces a lot more pressure while overseeing a team 50 times as popular and as storied as the Bills? Don't dodge.

Also, no opinion on Whaley essentially biting the hand (the media) that feeds the multi-billion dollar operation that is the NFL by avoiding his responsibility to engage with it except under Pravda-like conditions?

The NFL is just different. Much more protective. Much more influence by the league and the stifling of any negative image of the teams or league. It's just not the same.

It's just my opinion but I don't think the press or the fans get anything out of Whaley coming to the podium and answering legitimate questions and then gotcha questions. He's just never going to say anything of any worth or real insight. And I don't necessarily think we are owed that, if only because no one knows when to stop. As I said before, no one, anywhere, is going to say anything other than it was a business decision. Whaley, for the hundredth time today, didn't hire Rex, nor did Rex report to him, nor did Whaley fire him. Pegula hates the local media for various personal reasons, and doesn't like to speak in public or answer questions to begin with. Sending Brandon out there would be the absolute worse answer.

I don't see why anyone is upset of anything about this, what did you expect to hear?

Certainly nothing today. And the last few months we got 300% more Rex than we needed. Which is just more talk and no more information.

Sending Whaley out there to do a press conference gets as much information as female sideline reporters at halftime or male sideline reporters at halftime. In other words, nothing ever.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The NFL is just different. Much more protective. Much more influence by the league and the stifling of any negative image of the teams or league. It's just not the same.

It's just my opinion but I don't think the press or the fans get anything out of Whaley coming to the podium and answering legitimate questions and then gotcha questions. He's just never going to say anything of any worth or real insight. And I don't necessarily think we are owed that, if only because no one knows when to stop. As I said before, no one, anywhere, is going to say anything other than it was a business decision. Whaley, for the hundredth time today, didn't hire Rex, nor did Rex report to him, nor did Whaley fire him. Pegula hates the local media for various personal reasons, and doesn't like to speak in public or answer questions to begin with. Sending Brandon out there would be the absolute worse answer.

I don't see why anyone is upset of anything about this, what did you expect to hear?

Certainly nothing today. And the last few months we got 300% more Rex than we needed. Which is just more talk and no more information.

Sending Whaley out there to do a press conference gets as much information as female sideline reporters at halftime or male sideline reporters at halftime. In other words, nothing ever.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. When the Yankees released A-Rod this summer, he was the guy who faced the music along with the manager and that was a far, far bigger deal than Rex. The Yankees, as I said, are a far bigger deal than the Bills and the media attention directed at them is many times heavier than what the Bills see. Edited by dave mcbride

I guess we'll just have to disagree. When the Yankees released A-Rod this summer, he was the guy who faced the music along with the manager and that was a far, far bigger deal than Rex. The Yankees, as I said, are a far bigger deal than the Bills and the media attention directed at them is many times heavier than what the Bills see.

If Jim Kelly retired or was released, a week before the season ended, I imagine the GM would be there. He wouldn't say anything of importance, but he would be there. How you compare this to A Rod is beyond me. You're right, it was a far, far, far bigger deal. Hence no need for the GM. Rex was a blowhard. The season isn't over. All we had today was the regular required PC by the HC.

Now THAT is some serious spin, Dog! Man oh man.

Harry S Truman: the buck stops here. Hiding out in the weight room to avoid the Mattew Fairburns of the world is gutless. The league owes EVERYTHING to the media. It is why it is rich. Gutless avoidance of the media sources that feed them billions of dollars is simply pathetic.

:D

If Jim Kelly retired or was released, a week before the season ended, I imagine the GM would be there. He wouldn't say anything of importance, but he would be there. How you compare this to A Rod is beyond me. You're right, it was a far, far, far bigger deal. Hence no need for the GM. Rex was a blowhard. The season isn't over. All we had today was the regular required PC by the HC.

Controversial cut of a surprisingly-still popular player in certain quarters of NY (relatively speaking) that occurred late in the season with a ton of money still on the books. Just a few homers shy of 700 too.

Lynn was guaranteed to face questions better answered by the freaking gm. Why is this hard to understand? My takeaway: people seem to be able to rationalize almost anything ...

Edited by dave mcbride

I think a statement would have been sufficient by Whaley upon the podium pre Lynn.

Mr Lynn is not going to answer any questions in regard to the FO . Keep it football please

Why is a statement even necessary? Couldn't Lynn just as easily said something like "We decided as an organization to sit Tyrod and start EJ for the final game of the season. I won't get into specifics as to why and I won't discuss a player's contract publicly."

After having had time to think about it, I think Whaley not being present is overblown. Shouldn't he have been able to trust Lynn to give answers that didn't throw anyone under the bus? Coaches give generic answers every week.

Controversial cut of a surprisingly-still popular player in certain quarters of NY (relatively speaking) that occurred late in the season with a ton of money still on the books. Just a few homers shy of 700 too.

This wasn't a controversial cut, nor a surprisingly still popular player, or coach, and money played absolutely zero part in it.

This wasn't a controversial cut, nor a surprisingly still popular player, or coach, and money played absolutely zero part in it.

You don't know what you are talking about. Seriously! I loved the cut, but a ton of Latin fans in NY think he was jobbed (not sayting they're right) and that while this went on Ortiz was being celebrated like a god. Money was a huge part of A-rod's deal. Always.

Edited by dave mcbride

How about I go with a big money US sport in which the GM faces a lot more pressure while overseeing a team 50 times as popular and as storied as the Bills? Don't dodge.

Also, no opinion on Whaley essentially biting the hand (the media) that feeds the multi-billion dollar operation that is the NFL by avoiding his responsibility to engage with it except under Pravda-like conditions?

Save the keystrokes!

The lack of a PC announcing the firing of the HC by someone other than the guy who started the season as the running backs coach is a major gaffe on the part of the Bills and it serves to bolster national opinion that this franchise is what it has been for most of its existence: a joke.

A handful of die hard Kool Aid drinkers on this board will never see that, but they don't see a whole lot anyway.

It looks to me like Pegula thought his statement that he put out to the media on Tuesday was enough... apparently not as there is outrage he didn't take questions.

Will there will be regret with not putting Terry or Russ out there prior to Lynn's presser? Maybe, but it will be forgotten in a week and they will be on to some new outrage.

Whaley would not and should not address questions about the firing of a coach who was his peer, not his hire or his fire. He should address next steps, which he will do Monday, because he's actually in charge of those.

Hey look more class from Buffalo Media

Tim Graham (@ByTimGraham)

12/28/16, 9:10 PM

Not even 2016 can kill Doug Whaley.

WUT

You don't know what you are talking about. Seriously! I loved the cut, but a ton of Latin fans in NY think he was jobbed (not sayting they're right) and that while this went on Ortiz was being celebrated like a god. Money was a huge part of A-rod's deal. Always.

You read wrong. I was talking about Rex and why it wasn't at all the same. A Rod was controversial, most everyone wanted Rex gone, wasn't a surprise cut like A Rod it was expected, Rex getting fired had zero to do with money, A Rod had a lot to do with money.

It looks to me like Pegula thought his statement that he put out to the media on Tuesday was enough... apparently not as there is outrage he didn't take questions.

Will there will be regret with not putting Terry or Russ out there prior to Lynn's presser? Maybe, but it will be forgotten in a week and they will be on to some new outrage.

Whaley would not and should not address questions about the firing of a coach who was his peer, not his hire or his fire. He should address next steps, which he will do Monday, because he's actually in charge of those.

I must say, I missed that statement, but I had other things going on. I think at least some of the national media just needs something to rant about. I've been surprised how often today they (ummm, ESPN) made strong statements which included incorrect information.