Need 3 years

PatsFanNH

They said after Chan was fired...3 years to rebuild....Marrone left after 2. They fooled themselves into thinking Rex would finish what Marrone started. Rarely does a HC continue what his predecessor did. They want to things their way with players that fit the system. So restart the rebuild. Locals did not see this. Being a fan whe moved outside of WNY, I saw what Rex was going to do and knew it was another 3 year rebuild. His mouth wrote checks that his team could not cash. Now the Bills will restart a rebuild that started 4 years ago. This how franchised get mired in the bottom tier of the NFL. Who ever they hire will have to be aware that he has only 2 years.

I think that a lot of locals saw this and were, to say the least, uncomfortable with it.

The defensive line was the team's strength when Rex took the job. The D lineman were one-gap pass rushers. Rex runs a 2 gap 3-4, where the D linemen are space eaters.

When Rex made it clear that he was going to be the Defensive coordinator, red flags started to fly.

To make things worse, it became clear that Rex's defense did not rely on the blitz, and he tried to mix and match calls each week depending on the opponent, which led to inconsistency and confusion.

This year's draft made it abundantly clear that Rex was conducting a full-out rebuild of the defense when the team spent it's first three picks on the front seven.

Most locals wanted to see the team build on the defense's top four finish after Marrone quit. Rex's hiring signaled that that wasn't going to happen, and Rex was going rebuild something that wasn't broken.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever the Bills hire as a HC they need give him a minimum of 3 years. Why?

YEAR 1 -- all past HC guys with (if your GM is able) a few their guys from their old team

YEAR 2 - have 2 drafts and year 1 class SHOULD be ready and able to provide a real core for the team.

YEAR 3 - mostly their team with draft picks and FA pick ups.

Now a lot of this assumes Whaley or whoever the GM is works with the HC to make a better team for his scheme.

This is what you do when you have a bad team, and you're rebuilding.

I think the point of the Rex hire was that the Bills had had a very very good D, so they needed to figure out an offense and they'd be playoff bound. So they thought they would bring in Rex, he would work really well with the existing D players (lots of talk about how he wasn't a scheme guy, just give him good football players), and Roman as OC would do a run-first offense - all they had to do is find him a QB who could throw a bit and take care of the ball.

I think the Bills feeling will be they have a lot of talent, and they want someone who can come in and work with that talent, with a plan to add pieces to improve, not regress. Belichick's 2nd year was 11-5 and a Superbowl.

You can't just say a coach gets 'X' years to fix something. It's different depending on the situation. Rex stepped into scream with a good defence and an offence that needed improvement. They weren't far off and if Marrone had not quit may have been in the playoffs last year. Rex was the wrong higher for the situation , they needed someone to step in and build off what they had, instead the brought in someone who decided to try to fix what wasn't broken. His approach set them back so he could rebuild an already good defence, and his team was going backwards instead of forward. If they team appeared to look like they were getting better and not worse, playing Disciplined and hard but not getting the wins, the coach might still be here. But Rex already has a long resume that wasn't good and he wasn't showing g signs he could turn things around and that's why the smartest idea was to get rid of him now instead of letting him stay and setting g the team back further

Whoever the Bills hire as a HC they need give him a minimum of 3 years. Why?

YEAR 1 -- all past HC guys with (if your GM is able) a few their guys from their old team

YEAR 2 - have 2 drafts and year 1 class SHOULD be ready and able to provide a real core for the team.

YEAR 3 - mostly their team with draft picks and FA pick ups.

Now a lot of this assumes Whaley or whoever the GM is works with the HC to make a better team for his scheme.

You are right but most of us already know this. In fact, many of us have probably spent far more time reflecting on it as Bills fans then you because it's groundhog day again for us!

I do believe Pegula at his word that he intends to allow his head coach at least 3 years to maintain stability. I do think he wants to build a stable front office like the Steelers and Pats. I agree with others that Rex's defense is lacking, despite being his specialty, having a large coaching staff, and having brought his brother to help out.

I also think Rex's blowhard style runs counter to Pegula's philosophy, and the amount of gameday disorganization (timely playcalling, wrong # of players on field, repeated stupid penalties) really built Rex's premature coffin. Then the decision to stick with TT was a final nail.

Prior to the Miami game, I was in favor of Rex being given another year, but all the disorganization and resulting basic football mistakes leave me ok with Pegula's decision.

Edited by GaryPinC

IMO if they keep firing or getting coaches quiting every couple years it's only going to get worse rather than better.

Says the fan of the longest-tenured HC in the NFL who went 11-5 in his 2nd season.

It all depends upon what you see in those years. If you see signs that the team is well-prepared, well-disciplined, and executing a well-prepared game plan but you just need to raise the talent level, maybe you wait longer.

If you see fundamental mistakes in game management, poor discipline, and uneven preparation, but it seems there may be some mitigating factors - maybe you give the benefit of the doubt. Let him make some assistant changes, make some player personnel changes.

In Year 2, if you see fundamental mistakes in game management, poor discipline, and uneven preparation continue despite a "free hand", then it's "to whom much is given, much is expected" and time for

consistencydemotivator.jpeg?v=1414004030

You are right but most of us already know this. In fact, many of us have probably spent far more time reflecting on it as Bills fans then you because it's groundhog day again for us!

I do believe Pegula at his word that he intends to allow his head coach at least 3 years to maintain stability. I do think he wants to build a stable front office like the Steelers and Pats. I agree with others that Rex's defense is lacking, despite being his specialty, having a large coaching staff, and having brought his brother to help out.

I also think Rex's blowhard style runs counter to Pegula's philosophy, and the amount of gameday disorganization (timely playcalling, wrong # of players on field, repeated stupid penalties) really built Rex's premature coffin. Then the decision to stick with TT was a final nail.

Prior to the Miami game, I was in favor of Rex being given another year, but all the disorganization and resulting basic football mistakes leave me ok with Pegula's decision.

I don't think the decision to stick to TT is an issue, nor is Rex's blowhard style. They knew about that when they hired him.

I think the part I highlighted were the deal-breakers.

In the modern Free Agent NFL you dont get nor need 3 years to show improvement.

You should show improvement year 2 expecially in your area you claim to be a genius in.

Well, it depends somewhat where you're starting, doesn't it? Consider the roster when Chan Gailey took over. Consider the Browns roster. I think you need 3 years there.

I think that TBN and the rest of the Buffalo media already have reported that new Bills HC Coachy McCoachy already is on the hot seat.

There are new standards. If the Bills do not qualify for the playoffs after the first 6 games of season number 1, the direct dial between OBD and Jason LaCanfora will heat up.

so coaching is everything? how many of the bills roster make the pats?

Incognito

Dareus

Shady

Gilmore

Darby

Z.Brown

P. Brown

Watkins

Glenn

Kyle Williams

All those guys would have a chance at STARTING in New England

Clay