Need 3 years

PatsFanNH

The Pats have some huge advantages:

1) Bill Belichick

1a) Tom Brady

3) 1 and 1a allow them to not have to deal with the same salary cap issues as we have to.

Pretty much,I know this isn't a popular narrative,but this team is pretty talented. It has just had some piss poor coaching.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would normally agree that you should give a coach 3 years, but there are a few warning signs that this needed to happen now:

- Terrible in-game coaching. Misuse of timeouts, improper personnel on the field, bad decisions on when to punt, etc. These are fundamental mistakes that happened again and again, and have nothing to do with putting in a system or having the right personnel.

- Rex wasn't on the same page with Whaley and this caused all sorts of internal turmoil. This one is on Terry and Kim if the rumors two years ago are to be believed and Whaley didn't like the Rex hire (and Russ pushed the Rex hire on them).

- The players gave up. That Pittsburgh game had "going through the motions" written all over it. With the playoffs on the line, the entire defense was just asleep. Kyle Williams not being on the field was a big part of the problem - he's the only guy with any heart... but not having someone step up is troubling.

- Rex brought in coaches that were his friends rather than people best suited for the team. If I were Terry, I would have never allowed the Rob Ryan hire given his past performance, and yet Rex was given carte blanche to do it.

These issues were not due to incorrect personnel - these were all signs that the coaching hire was the wrong one. We sadly had to get rid of him.

Says the fan of the longest-tenured HC in the NFL who went 11-5 in his 2nd season.

It all depends upon what you see in those years. If you see signs that the team is well-prepared, well-disciplined, and executing a well-prepared game plan but you just need to raise the talent level, maybe you wait longer.

If you see fundamental mistakes in game management, poor discipline, and uneven preparation, but it seems there may be some mitigating factors - maybe you give the benefit of the doubt. Let him make some assistant changes, make some player personnel changes.

In Year 2, if you see fundamental mistakes in game management, poor discipline, and uneven preparation continue despite a "free hand", then it's "to whom much is given, much is expected" and time for

consistencydemotivator.jpeg?v=1414004030

I don't think the decision to stick to TT is an issue, nor is Rex's blowhard style. They knew about that when they hired him.

I think the part I highlighted were the deal-breakers.

Well, it depends somewhat where you're starting, doesn't it? Consider the roster when Chan Gailey took over. Consider the Browns roster. I think you need 3 years there.

True to a degree.

Use Browns for example. Their current purge was an active decision from that ownership. Now it would be total dysfunction if they can Hue after 2 years when they make that decision.

Gailey -similar i guess have an ownership group not willing to spend in UFA

However if you are willing to spend and hit on draft pocks at about a 50% rate you are competitive after two years for the most part.

Also - it's so easy for a Pats fan to chime in, they have the longest tenured coach in the league. It's been 17 years since you even had to think about what is needed in a head coaching candidate.

Of course in a perfect world you want 3 years for your head coach at a minimum. You also need to make sure that the coach, the players already on the roster, and the GM are all on the same page about what type of team to build. Rex was never the right fit.

Pats have been lucky their last 3 coaches have been: The Tuna, Pete Carroll, and BB.

I wasnt trying to say Rex was the right fit, especially since what I hear from here it wasn't your GM choice. Now with a new HC whonyour GM chooses they need time.

I think that TBN and the rest of the Buffalo media already have reported that new Bills HC Coachy McCoachy already is on the hot seat.

There are new standards. If the Bills do not qualify for the playoffs after the first 6 games of season number 1, the direct dial between OBD and Jason LaCanfora will heat up.

Jason LaCanfora has already written the article without talking to anyone with fill-in-the-blank spots to whatever personnel Bills hire.