How does Jim Overdorf Get a Pass?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Overdorf has been with the Bills for almost 30 years and has been handling contract negotiations for the team since the early 2000's according to this article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80663031/printable/bills-promote-overdorf-to-senior-vp-in-minor-restructuring from 2008. So how does he get a pass?

All those contracts that have come down the line that make you scratch your head like Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery, this is the guy you can thank for those. I remember when we signed Chris Willimas and I was thinking to myself, this guy sucks. We are not really upgrading the guard position, just paying more for average to below average play. Why will Charles Clay have the 4th highest cap hit among tight ends in the NFL in 2017? Our boy Jimmy!

How does a team with no franchise QB and a QB who took up I think $2.6 million in cap space during last off-season not have money to spend on free agents. We could have used help at the safety position but we had no money. So we had to go into the season with Aaron Williams who is very good but is always injured and was a question mark in training camp even to play in 2016. Corey Graham who is a decent player, but his best days are behind him. If you are rolling with him as your best safety, you are in trouble. Then we fill out that position with players who are borderline NFLer's. Don't believe me, please go back and take a look at the angle Blanton takes on the first big play by Le'Veon Bell in the Steelers game. The safety position killed this team this year.

But back on topic. The biggest blunder off them all. Handing out a 6 year, $108 million contract, with $60 million guaranteed, $25 million up front, and absolutely no penalties or restrictions for criminal behavior or league sanctions, to a guy that had already been arrested on a drug charge and had already once been suspended by the league. Please, how is that acceptable on any level? And wouldn't you know, that player has turned out to be completely unreliable and in some ways a detriment to the team. You would like to have the option to trade him or cut him if he screws up again but you can't because his cap hit is $32 million in 2017, $16.5 million in 2018 and $7.8 million in 2019. I think it is a long shot that Dareus doesn't miss time due to something other than injury over these 3 years. I think it's 50/50 for him to start next season active.

I love the Pegula's and I believe they have the greatest intentions. I am sure they will get better with time but so far they have done a pretty poor job running our favorite teams. They gave it a couple years, but now it is time to get serious and get rid of the relics. They did a good job getting rid of Littman but it wasn't enough. Overdorf has been around for the entire drought as well, and when you actually look at his track record it's pretty poor. I would like to get rid of Brandon as well but the Pegula's seem pretty intent on keeping him. Say what you want but he was the GM from the time Marv retired until the time Buddy took over and was the face of the organization for a few years. The drought is on him as much as anybody. For now though, can the Bills please show they have some sense of what they are doing and that the front office is not a complete **** show and get rid of this Overdorf guy? Please?

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Most importantly, Overdorf does NOT decide how valuable a player is on the field.

He does a pretty damned good job of getting the players signed that he is asked to get signed.

Sorry, but I think the OP's anger is misplaced.

If that is the case then yes you are correct. But whoever has the job of making sure that what would seem to be pretty standard contract clauses, preventing Dareus from receiving his full guarantee and bonus if he misbehaves off the field, and is suspended by the NFL, needs to go. I don't care who it is.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Overdorf doesn't decide who to sign or for how much. The front office targets players and negotiates. Overdorf crunches the numbers so they fit under the cap.

Appears to be pretty darn good at it too.

Overdorf has been with the Bills for almost 30 years and has been handling contract negotiations for the team since the early 2000's according to this article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80663031/printable/bills-promote-overdorf-to-senior-vp-in-minor-restructuring from 2008. So how does he get a pass?

All those contracts that have come down the line that make you scratch your head like Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery, this is the guy you can thank for those. I remember when we signed Chris Willimas and I was thinking to myself, this guy sucks. We are not really upgrading the guard position, just paying more for average to below average play. Why will Charles Clay have the 4th highest cap hit among tight ends in the NFL in 2017? Our boy Jimmy!

How does a team with no franchise QB and a QB who took up I think $2.6 million in cap space during last off-season not have money to spend on free agents. We could have used help at the safety position but we had no money. So we had to go into the season with Aaron Williams who is very good but is always injured and was a question mark in training camp even to play in 2016. Corey Graham who is a decent player, but his best days are behind him. If you are rolling with him as your best safety, you are in trouble. Then we fill out that position with players who are borderline NFLer's. Don't believe me, please go back and take a look at the angle Blanton takes on the first big play by Le'Veon Bell in the Steelers game. The safety position killed this team this year.

But back on topic. The biggest blunder off them all. Handing out a 6 year, $108 million contract, with $60 million guaranteed, $25 million up front, and absolutely no penalties or restrictions for criminal behavior or league sanctions, to a guy that had already been arrested on a drug charge and had already once been suspended by the league. Please, how is that acceptable on any level? And wouldn't you know, that player has turned out to be completely unreliable and in some ways a detriment to the team. You would like to have the option to trade him or cut him if he screws up again but you can't because his cap hit is $32 million in 2017, $16.5 million in 2018 and $7.8 million in 2019. I think it is a long shot that Dareus doesn't miss time due to something other than injury over these 3 years. I think it's 50/50 for him to start next season active.

I love the Pegula's and I believe they have the greatest intentions. I am sure they will get better with time but so far they have done a pretty poor job running our favorite teams. They gave it a couple years, but now it is time to get serious and get rid of the relics. They did a good job getting rid of Littman but it wasn't enough. Overdorf has been around for the entire drought as well, and when you actually look at his track record it's pretty poor. I would like to get rid of Brandon as well but the Pegula's seem pretty intent on keeping him. Say what you want but he was the GM from the time Marv retired until the time Buddy took over and was the face of the organization for a few years. The drought is on him as much as anybody. For now though, can the Bills please show they have some sense of what they are doing and that the front office is not a complete **** show and get rid of this Overdorf guy? Please?

I want to be mean to you so bad for saying the highlighted but getting a warning isn't worth it.

Edited by Triple Threat

Does the in-house counsel of a company decide unilaterally to conclude a deal or settle a lawsuit? No. The owners/executives always have final say. Same deal here. OP seems to have a warped view of what Overdorf's powers and responsibilities really are. Probably should have researched a little more before composing this screed.