How does Jim Overdorf Get a Pass?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but totally absolving everyone seems just as irrational, no?

Hunting for people to blame to satisfy your frustration is irrational.

If the Bills are so dysfunctional that it pains you, there is an easy solution. Stop following them. There are 31 other NFL teams that, according to what I've read here, are far more talented and expertly managed than the Bills. Any one would be proud to have you as a fan.

I stopped taking it so seriously.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Hunting for people to blame to satisfy your frustration is irrational.

If the Bills are so dysfunctional that it pains you, there is an easy solution. Stop following them. There are 31 other NFL teams that, according to what I've read here, are far more talented and expertly managed than the Bills. Any one would be proud to have you as a fan.

I stopped taking it so seriously.

That is good for you. Some of us have a spine and can't just turn off something we have been passionate about since childhood. Also it isn't hunting, it is holding people accountable. When someone has been doing a poor job at something for a long time you should probably evaluate whether they should have their job or not.

I think I'm at the point where I'd like every member of the front office who's been associated with 17 years of pathetc to mediocre Bills football eliminated from the organization. Brandon, Overdorf, Whaley, secretaries, ball boy, towel jockey, all of them. I'm ready for a complete overhaul top to bottom because the losing stink that permeates our club is not going away without a full fumigation. Yes I know that means another few years without the playoffs but this constant 8-8 bullcrap just isn't going to fly anymore and all these asswipes are responsible. Clean house Pegs and start fresh!

RTB

It's not uncommon (at all) that the "cap guy" is the one that negotiates deals. He doesn't necessarily determine the value or even a range. The negotiation is in the structure of the deal which is what either prevents a deal from getting done, or makes it happen. If you have an issue with the structure of contracts, future dead money, guarantees, etc... he'd be a guy to consider.

As an example he may have HAD to include the language in Dareus' contract regarding drug tests to get the deal done. That directive may have also come from above (i.e. "Get the deal done"). At the same time he may have been given rough parameters and used that clause on his own to get it done.

If one reads this thread from the beginning, not just shooting off a comment based on the title, a lot of evidence has been laid out that Overdorf is not just a "cap guy". Maybe not a huge say, but he plays a significant role in making personnel decisions. Whether he should be axed for this is the true heart of this post.

Just ignore him. He is great at what he does. Everyone there is great. Rex just ruins everything.

:lol:

"Just when we were on the verge, that damn Rex. We just need a new coach and more time, Terry."

I think I'm at the point where I'd like every member of the front office who's been associated with 17 years of pathetc to mediocre Bills football eliminated from the organization. Brandon, Overdorf, Whaley, secretaries, ball boy, towel jockey, all of them. I'm ready for a complete overhaul top to bottom because the losing stink that permeates our club is not going away without a full fumigation. Yes I know that means another few years without the playoffs but this constant 8-8 bullcrap just isn't going to fly anymore and all these asswipes are responsible. Clean house Pegs and start fresh!

RTB

Great, great post!

That is good for you. Some of us have a spine and can't just turn off something we have been passionate about since childhood. Also it isn't hunting, it is holding people accountable. When someone has been doing a poor job at something for a long time you should probably evaluate whether they should have their job or not.

Wow. Get over yourself.

Brandon and Overdorf are certainly involved enough to deserve a bit of accountability for fielding an absolutely garbage product on the field for 17 years. There are thousands of people who could do their job. It's way past time to move on. They simply don't have a structure that has proven to work in any way.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Wow. Get over yourself.

Sorry buddy but the "if you don't like it, root for a new team" is as weak as it gets. For you to suggest to passionate fans that they should find a new team if they don't like the team they were raised on is run, is completely ridiculous. You should be embarrassed for even typing that.

Also your "I don't take it so seriously", then why are you on this board? I don't take it seriously in the sense that when I watch the games and the Bills take a tough loss, I am over it in about 5 minutes. I love the Bills though, and expressing my displeasure and concern over who has been running the team during the entire drought is something I am more than willing to do. That doesn't mean I am it is something I am being super cereal about.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

The term, "crunch the numbers," doesn't mean the guy simple sits around with an adding machine & a green visor moving money hither and yon. It includes the legal language, the clauses, the years in which the most money is paid, the duration, etc. It may be that trading for a player, which involves serious "number crunching," is handed over to him to make the dollars work, but I doubt he initiates it. That decision is made by the coach and GM, with input, I suspect, by scouts, ownership and, yes, Overdorf. If anyone around here thinks he's free to trade any player he wants on his own, you're too deep into the egg nog.

As to Mario's deal, have we forgotten just how undesirable a destination the Bills (& Buffalo for that matter) was at that time? Maybe Dallas or some other teams can demand more ownership-friendly terms but the Bills simply aren't in that position. The same applies to Dareus. If you want them,you have to accede to their terms. Buffalo is always starting behind the 8 ball. That the Bills have managed to bring in so many productive players, and to keep many of them, is a testament to the ability of Whaley, Monos and Overdorf.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The term, "crunch the numbers," doesn't mean the guy simple sits around with an adding machine & a green visor moving money hither and yon. It includes the legal language, the clauses, the years in which the most money is paid, the duration, etc. It may be that trading for a player, which involves serious "number crunching," is handed over to him to make the dollars work, but I doubt he initiates it. That decision is made by the coach and GM, with input, I suspect, by scouts, ownership and, yes, Overdorf. If anyone around here thinks he's free to trade any player he wants on his own, you're too deep into the egg nog.

As to Mario's deal, have we forgotten just how undesirable a destination the Bills (& Buffalo for that matter) was at that time? Maybe Dallas or some other teams can demand more ownership-friendly terms but the Bills simply aren't in that position. The same applies to Dareus. If you want them,you have to accede to their terms. Buffalo is always starting behind the 8 ball. That the Bills have managed to bring in so many productive players, and to keep many of them, is a testament to the ability of Whaley, Monos and Overdorf.

Except that several times in this thread evidence has been shown that Overdorf is much more than what you say he is.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

7 years of failure for Whaley, 4 years of failure for Monos, and 17 years of failure for Overdorf. That is the testament to their ability. Edited by Rico