If QB is one of the primary concerns--how can it be fixed?

The Big Cat

Somebody's gotta start in 2017  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pick whichever option(s) you would endorse

• Call up Cardale
    • Retain EJ
    • Retain TT at $27.5M
    • Retain TT at a negotiated cut
    • Bring back Fitz
    • Sign another FA (specify in reply--KIRK COUSINS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE)
    • Trade for Romo or sign him if he's released
    • Trade for Jimmy G
    • Trade for Sam Bradford
    • Trade for a young backup hiding on another team's roster (specify in reply)
    • DRAFT BABY DRAFT (specify in reply)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets, Broncos, Browns, Texans, Jags all need a QB. I think any one of them would take a flier on Tyrod if we don't pick up the option. We don't have any other choices at the moment so it's a tough call. They did this to themselves giving him that contract. We could have seen how well he played then franchised him if we couldn't get a deal done. Giving him the extension killed us and I don't know why Whaley isn't being held accountable

I'm on record for trading for AJ MCcarron. Give him an incentive laden contract where we can cut and run if he doesn't pan out. Draft another guy. Let Cardale, the draftee and Mccarron battle it out. Draft a RT and a safety and sign a good veteran WR.

That would be my perfect off season.

Since the Chargers are in obvious rebuild mode, see if they can acquire Rivers while Cardale learn his craft. If not Chargers, then Saints. The Bills are a good QB and two safeties away from going far in the playoff race

Rivers would be the one, but it's nothing more than a pipe dream

He has a full NTC - so i think hes out. If he's released (which i doubt they ever do)- he picks his landing spot.

Jets, Broncos, Browns, Texans, Jags all need a QB. I think any one of them would take a flier on Tyrod if we don't pick up the option. We don't have any other choices at the moment so it's a tough call. They did this to themselves giving him that contract. We could have seen how well he played then franchised him if we couldn't get a deal done. Giving him the extension killed us and I don't know why Whaley isn't being held accountable

he was UFA last year. he would have walked. would have had to franchise him for THIS year at 20+mil. simply to "see how well he played". not a good option. Whaley did a great deal for the franchise, "trying him out" this year at 9mil and retaining the option to cut him clean after this year. Now they can either cut him or renegotiate last years deal. My guess is TT's best best is to take Whaley's renegotiated (lower priced) deal. Whaley did a great great deal favorable to the team and should be commended for getting TT to agree to it. Downside is TT turns down a lower deal and they cut him, leaving us w/o a QB.... However, they have until March to cut him, allowing time to sign someone else .. then cut him. I am still amazed Whaley got it done last year. One of the best contracts I've ever seen given the circumstances.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Retain Tyrod. I don't see any realistic options in FA, and we have other, more pressing needs (e.g., safety, WR, OT, ILB) in the draft and in FA.

If the defense is playing as it should be, Tyrod can win games with the right offensive scheme.

Unfortunately i picked this - and he has all the leverage in the situation so unfortunately that means overpaying him. Wouldn't make him the first overpaid/underperformer on our team...

I'm unaware of anyone currently in the league that will be available to us that is an immediate upgrade over Tyrod.

That being said, I also don't think he's 'the answer'.

And drafting a QB is generally a crapshoot.

So... I have not a !@#$ing clue. :lol:

It depends on whether Rex is here or not. If Rex is here and the Bills intend to be a run first offense again, then I think your best choice is to resign Tyrod ideally to a newly negotiated contract. If Rex is gone, go draft a pocket passer and let him compete with Cardale for the starting position.

Unfortunately if you go that second route, chances are the Bills are going to truly suck beyond words next year. And we will likely be stuck with 3-5 years of suckitude until maybe they make another playoff run. And if you are going to blow it up, then you may as well get rid of Dareus too. And make sure the door hits him in the ass on the way out.

he was UFA last year. he would have walked. would have had to franchise him for THIS year at 20+mil. simply to "see how well he played". not a good option. Whaley did a great deal for the franchise, "trying him out" this year at 9mil and retaining the option to cut him clean after this year. Now they can either cut him or renegotiate last years deal. My guess is TT's best best is to take Whaley's renegotiated (lower priced) deal. Whaley did a great great deal favorable to the team and should be commended for getting TT to agree to it. Downside is TT turns down a lower deal and they cut him, leaving us w/o a QB.... However, they have until March to cut him, allowing time to sign someone else .. then cut him. I am still amazed Whaley got it done last year. One of the best contracts I've ever seen given the circumstances.

That is completely incorrect. That's why it was such a bad deal. He wasn't going to be a UFA until after this season. After such a bad season they could have had him for cheap

That is completely incorrect. That's why it was such a bad deal. He wasn't going to be a UFA until after this season. After such a bad season they could have had him for cheap

Right but if he played about as well as the previous year - he hits the open market and we're forced to franchise him. You can't let your starting QB walk if he's showed enough.

This had as much to do with Gilmore as Tyrod. We needed the tag for Gilly.

Right but if he played about as well as the previous year - he hits the open market and we're forced to franchise him. You can't let your starting QB walk if he's showed enough.

This had as much to do with Gilmore as Tyrod. We needed the tag for Gilly.

Tyrod wasn't walking with the franchise tag available. The Bills goofed plain and simple

Haha. Some terrible ideas here.

1) if some team is willing to trade qb, they don't think they are any good.

2) I'm sure a 37 year old with a broken back will work out great.

3) TT has proven he is not worth his extension.

My terrible idea: draft 2 qbs, sign a veteran guy who has some upside, and have them all & Jones battle it out.

Qb isn't going to be a quick fix. I won't hate Taylor for a much lower rate but he isn't the reason the Bills are winning. Guys who throw for under 200 yards and limit turnovers aren't that hard to find

True & I was thinking the same thing, however, if we didn't have a deal in place for him, the bidding for his services in FA would probably have driven his price to the level of his deal or beyond. Look at Osweiler, QB prices are nuts!

My ideas:

• Keep Tyrod (negotiate him down if you can - good luck!!)
  • Draft a QB EVERY YEAR until you hit on one. No exceptions. The draft round s/b no lower than 4th - preferably in Rounds 1, 2 or 3.
  • And ride Tyrod until you find him. And hopefully, Tyrod will improve on his deficiencies or Cardale will improve in years 2 & 3 so we won't need those draft picks - we can trade them for more picks. (Like what Washington did when drafting RG# and Cousins in the same year.)
Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Now I'm going to sound like a TT superfan - but let me be clear. We could walk away and i wouldn't be heart-broken, and we could keep him and I wouldn't hate it. I'm just sort of blah with the whole situation.

However that are some things that have concerned me about the G-RO offense.

1 - So little screen game (weve been blitzed a ton recently, and it would go a long way to have a few quick bubble screens to help push back against the blitz). I know Sammy is not 100%, but A.brown makes a living off those little quick hitters right off the snap. He makes you play closer so he can get behind you. Also - some of these are like glorified running plays... the stats count as passing numbers for the QBs, but it really is to just get a guy in space.

2 - very little under center offense (which i think makes for a more effective play action passing attack). The Shotgun PA's we run seem to be PA in name only. Nobody is biting on that - McCoy is often switching sides back there too throwing this off even more.

3 - too many formations (takes forever to get lined up), like no 2 minute offense because of that. Also lots of substitutions for specific personnel match

These were all issues in San Francisco under Roman as well - (http://fansided.com/2013/11/14/49ers-o-coordinator-greg-roman-blames-self-passing-woes/). We brought in the coordinator and playbook of some of the worst passing offenses in the NFL - why are we surprised that it's continued?

I don't know how much better or worse TT would be in a more conventional offense, but i do wonder if some of the issues above have contributed to the low passing numbers.

That was 2 over like 8 or 9 years. This is our next 2 - when we have holes all over the roster.

That's what 2nd through 7th rounders are for. 1sts are for QB's. Shaq, EJ and Sammy have won us probably 1 game this season total. 4 firsts with that return. Waste.

There is never not going to be holes on the roster. Every year homie. A QB fills them better than anybody.

Edited by jmc12290

He has a full NTC - so i think hes out. If he's released (which i doubt they ever do)- he picks his landing spot.

I understand he has a NTC, but if you're Rivers and you look at how talented this Bills team is offensively would you waive it? This Bills team currently is comparably talented to the teams Rivers was going to AFC title games with LT and Gates. Knowing that you have a short shelf life, why wouldn't you waive the NTC clause. Also, SD is thinking of moving to LA/Vegas and Rivers was known to not want to have his family living in those environments. It's worth a look.

Man, has anyone seen AJ McCarron play? Talk about a lot of hype. He isn't on Alabama anymore.

To be clear, I say McCarron because if we move on from Tyrod we need to embrace the full tank. McCarron/Murray looks like taking a shot on potential, but really puts us in premium position to draft our solution.

I understand he has a NTC, but if you're Rivers and you look at how talented this Bills team is offensively would you waive it? This Bills team currently is comparably talented to the teams Rivers was going to AFC title games with LT and Gates. Knowing that you have a short shelf life, why wouldn't you waive the NTC clause. Also, SD is thinking of moving to LA/Vegas and Rivers was known to not want to have his family living in those environments. It's worth a look.

Is Rivers a bit overrated? I've watched a bunch of their games and he seems to have a tendency to make big mistakes at bad times.

Obviously I'd take him in a second if the price was right and he would be a giant upgrade. But it does make you wonder why he hasn't won more.