Doug Whaley - The Tim Graham Feature Story

Reed83HOF

Couldn't agree more, Whaley has been OK, which is not good enough.

"A league-wide roster analysis shows perennial playoff teams have an average 61.1 percent more draft picks on their rosters than the Bills are carrying.

The Bills have 22 of their own draft picks on the active roster and 31 overall when counting the practice squad and injured reserve.

Those are the lowest figures in the league and substantially behind teams that have made the playoffs within the past five years."

And what does that prove exactly?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was more like how unwilling they were to take chances at QB......using better organizations with better QB's in place as examples of how they handled things over the same period of time......despite LESS of a need.

EJ basically constituted the only notable draft pick the Bills invested in a QB in Whaley's time in Buffalo.

I think their "all-in" on EJ lasted less than 18 months after he was drafted.

I don't disagree with any of this; it is spot on.

When I said "All-in" on EJ, I was implying your last point and our total disregarding of the position. I'm sorry, but hanging your hat on TT and a project like Cardale is unacceptable once the guy you went "all-in" as a leader of men and a gem flamed out horribly...

We don't do good job drafting players that stay on our team; whether it is because they suck or no longer fit a scheme is another story. Remember we are trying to model "The Steeler Way" which is draft smart, re-sign your own and add a few FAs here and there. We don't draft smart, we do resign our players, but the ones we have re-signed honestly don't make that much different in total record. Case in point look at our records with Jauron and Gailey and Rex and Marrone - yeah these is more talent, but the difference between 6-10 and 9-7 is not that much. We beat the teams we should beat and lose the ones we need to win. For how long have we said, oh we could be above .500 if we kicked that FG or made that one play. Same old $hit

Denver has highest number of drafted players starting, yet they needed a FA QB to win the SuperBowl and let the one they drafted walk away

New England and Green Bay had two of the four greatest QB's of the era fall to them.

There probably is more luck than science to the draft.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me with Whaley is giving up picks to move up in the draft. He should be told the only way to move in the draft is down.

Totally agree and its been a Bills problem. Wasnt the first we gave up the following year after we drafted Losman, could of been used to draft Aaron Rodgers? The Steelers just let the draft come to them. Like I said its a Bills thing but Whaley seems to continue it, 2 firsts for Watkins, had to move up for Ragland, in the past they gave a pick for Bryce Brown. The Bills and trading draft picks during this run hasnt been a pretty picture.

that Whaley sux.

Here is some more incriminating evidence;

"Another factor possibly impacting the Bills' inability to pinpoint draft keepers is their approach to scouting underclassmen.

The process predates Whaley, but he has maintained an old-school organizational philosophy of not scouting underclassmen until they declare for the draft in January. :blink: :wacko::o

"I knew there used to be teams that did it that way," a longtime NFC scout told me. "I just thought they didn't exist anymore."

Totally agree and its been a Bills problem. Wasnt the first we gave up the following year after we drafted Losman, could of been used to draft Aaron Rodgers? The Steelers just let the draft come to them. Like I said its a Bills thing but Whaley seems to continue it, 2 firsts for Watkins, had to move up for Ragland, in the past they gave a pick for Bryce Brown. The Bills and trading draft picks during this run hasnt been a pretty picture.

But if you aren't scouting underclassman, you apparently aren't looking at the upcoming draft classes that well either. It is ok to move up in the draft, but you have to be smart about it. Atlanta went up for Julio once they had Ryan. Can't fault the QB needy teams for moving up to grab a QB either. I also wouldn't have been to upset if we took Mack #4.

@jayskurski

FWIW, #Bills have declined multiple interview requests for Whaley, dating to training camp. Pegulas making same mistake they did with Regier

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 3h3 hours ago we've asked multiple times to speak with Whaley on issues pertaining to the team and been denied.

matthew @mattymelts 3h3 hours ago got that, but why is that a mistake, doesn't impact results on the field

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 3h3 hours ago the mistake is keeping him in a job he's failing at. Not related to the interview denials

Damn the Buffalo News must be trying to wage a personal war against the Bills...these guys sound like they have some type of vendetta against the Bills...they are really trying hard to figure out new ways to come up with to show just how terrible they are, lol...

Jay Skurski ‏@JaySkurski 3h3 hours ago we've asked multiple times to speak with Whaley on issues pertaining to the team and been denied.

matthew ‏@mattymelts 3h3 hours ago got that, but why is that a mistake, doesn't impact results on the field

Jay Skurski ‏@JaySkurski 3h3 hours ago the mistake is keeping him in a job he's failing at. Not related to the interview denials

Basically, Jay Skurski already has made up his mind that DW is "failing" and it is a mistake to keep him. If that is the case, why bother granting the interview or why bother going through with the interview if you already have made up your mind as Skurski has.

Whether you like Rex as a HC or not, you have to respect how he keeps his cool during the press conferences. I would have a difficult time not exploding.

Reading Tim Graham article made me sick to my stomach to be a bill fan. What is worst, is the fans that believe that rubbish. How quickly we forgot the state of the Bills when Buddy Nix took over. The organization was in such shambles no one wanted to coach this team .Granted the main reason for this was the health of Ralph Wilson. More importantly the roster was not talented. Looking back the only major talent on the team was Marshawn Lynch and all of buffalo wanted him out of town. Where the roster was then, compared to now, is remarkable. Graham's article talked about the amount of draft picks still on the current roster during the term Whaley and Nix has presided over the team. He compare the Bills roster to the lowly Browns who kept their entire draft class about 15 deep. Then on the other hand compared the bills to the Steeler, Packers and Bengals who have had the same head coach / GM combination forever. In the last six years the bills has move from Jauron to Gailey,to Marone and now Rayan. We all know how the NFL works, new coaches bring new schemes, idea and players. Under Chan Gaily we were going to play a 3/4 defense with George Edwards. then we switch to a 4/3 with Dave Wannstead. Then Marone came with Petine and switch back to a 3/4. Petine leaves, we go back to 4/3 wide nine with Swartz. Then Rex comes and we over hall everything to move back to a 3/4. There is no way we can look at personal move in such a vacuum without considering the coaching staff. The biggest problem for Whaley is that he has never been given the ability to freely select his own head coach. Does anyone think he choose Marone or Rex. This team is far more talented on both sides of the ball than anytime within the last 5 years. Fans and the Bills management always want to fire the person that has actually done his job. It's time Whaley demand to the owners that he be allowed to do his job and get the coach he is comfortable with developing the talent that is clearly on this team. It doesn't matter how he acquires talent, draft , free agency... who cares. Tim graham is a unprofessional loser, that why he is back at the buffalo news instead of major national outlet writing crappy articles with a clear agenda. Every true Bills fan should know that article was not worth paper it was written on when Graham said Doug Marone wanted Fitz to be his quarterback...Really.. wake up BILLS FAN

nothing has changed.

I'll argue that the 2 biggest decisions....finding a QB and in Whaleys own words about where he should be years later if it doesnt pan out(it didn't) and finding a WR in the deepest WR draft in a generation were the equivalent of striking out on three pitches. He can be a decent director of pro personnel, but a GM........ nope.

Edited by billsfan714