Doug Whaley - The Tim Graham Feature Story

Reed83HOF

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Typo police out in full force today... When you can't debate content focus on spelling , punctuation and grammar. Keep promoting doing the same thing that has failed for the entire century and then attack those pointing out the status quo isn't working. Those are the low IQ fans I am addressing.

Are you really accusing others of base appeals when you collectively insult their intelligence? Is THAT where the debate goes in the absence of the content you allude you?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham makes a classic mistake here. He makes the correlation that having a higher percentage of drafted players on your team CAUSES success. In policy study circles, they'd say he is ignoring a latent variable that is driving both high draft pick roster percentage and success.

Teams with franchise QBs have to rely primarily on draft picks because the QB eats up so much cap room. Teams without a franchise QB salary, can afford to have a higher percentage of pro personal on their rosters.Having a top QB is the reason teams have long term success. It drives roster decisions as well.

I read an article that said successful school children tended to have more books in their home than other children. Do you suppose the books really had anything to do with it? No, these children had smart/educated parents (who tend to read more) and that's what causes their success. Just filling a room in your house with books won't make your kid a better student.

Just having your roster filled with draft picks won't consistently get you to the playoffs. Having a Franchise QB will.

You're exactly right.

And also, the Bills have been mediocre for a long time which would pressure a GM to want to patch a hole with a free agent guy for a year while they try to make a run at the playoffs rather than waiting to draft a guy.

I think the fact that the Bills have so many free agents on their roster (and the fact that those guys usually perform very well when brought it) is proof that Whaley does indeed have an eye for talent. He evaluates talent quite well in my opinion.

The entire article is basically bunk based on nothing. I can't believe people think there is any real substance in that article at all. I guess you read into it what you want to read into it.

You're exactly right.

And also, the Bills have been mediocre for a long time which would pressure a GM to want to patch a hole with a free agent guy for a year while they try to make a run at the playoffs rather than waiting to draft a guy.

I think the fact that the Bills have so many free agents on their roster (and the fact that those guys usually perform very well when brought it) is proof that Whaley does indeed have an eye for talent. He evaluates talent quite well in my opinion.

The entire article is basically bunk based on nothing. I can't believe people think there is any real substance in that article at all. I guess you read into it what you want to read into it.

We don't agree on much. But we're totally aligned here.

The best part of the whole damn thing is when he unknowingly dismantles his entire analysis with this toss away line:

"What all those teams have in common is a franchise quarterback who led them to Super Bowls."

Yes, Tim.

Good...and...?

Yes?

Nope, couldn't be botherer to put down his pitch fork to connect those dots.

This is incorrect if you fully look back at all of the details. There was no way that 2014 Defense was going to last into this season; it didn't even last into 2015. One of the main players in 2014 hit the wall so hard he can't even start for Miami this year. Also yeah Rex did try to use elements of it last season, didn't matter what you did when Brady for instance got rid of the ball in 1.5 seconds. Additionally, if you look at yards per game this season given up on defense, (IIRC from another thread), Schwartz and Rex's Defenses are nearly identical. Philly has a decent DL as well....

Besides this is the exact same thing as saying if we had the '91 K-Gun offense with Wade's '99 defense we would win the superbowl...which we most likely would have :bag:

plhilly has a decent DL, but their CBS might be the worst in the NFL

Whaley took over as GM after the 2013 draft with records of 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 thus far. They have a good chance to finish this season at 9-7. While the results are still not satisfactory, I fail to the need for a complete tear down given recent results. What I do see as the greatest impediment to improvement moving forward is the lack of consistent QB play. OBD would be foolish to manage the team from the playoff drought mentality that many fans have.

Whaley took over as GM after the 2013 draft with records of 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 thus far. They have a good chance to finish this season at 9-7. While the results are still not satisfactory, I fail to the need for a complete tear down given recent results. What I do see as the greatest impediment to improvement moving forward is the lack of consistent QB play. OBD would be foolish to manage the team from the playoff drought mentality that many fans have.

whose fault is no QB? Is it an external factor?

Also, the team is 0-7 vs teams .500 or greater this season. I don't see them as competitive or nearly getting over the hump. There aren't any young up and coming players who make me hopeful for the future (short or long term). Some players are getting long in the tooth, and going into next year there will be holes in CB, S, QB, WR, and LB.

The record this season (and last) has been inflated by fortunate scheduling. By the end, 6 games will be played against the league's worst 5 or 6 teams.

I would be on board with keeping it all together for next season.

However, if the 'solution' is going to be fire Rex and blame all the problems and mistakes on him.... then promote Anthony Lynn to HC to see what he can do for the next 2-3 seasons.... that is a disaster

Also, the team is 0-7 vs teams .500 or greater this season. I don't see them as competitive or nearly getting over the hump. There aren't any young up and coming players who make me hopeful for the future (short or long term). Some players are getting long in the tooth, and going into next year there will be holes in CB, S, QB, WR, and LB.

The record this season (and last) has been inflated by fortunate scheduling. By the end, 6 games will be played against the league's worst 5 or 6 teams.

However, if the 'solution' is going to be fire Rex and blame all the problems and mistakes on him.... then promote Anthony Lynn to HC to see what he can do for the next 2-3 seasons.... that is a disaster

This is what frustrates me about this all this !@#$ery:

Who drafted EJ? Was it Whaley was it Nix? Who got Orton? HC didn't seem to like it. Where'd Tyrod come from? Oh, he's Rex's guy. Well who hired Rex? Not Whaley. And the guy before him? Definitely a Russ Brandon hire. Or was it?

NOBODY KNOWS

If the Pegulas wanted to maintain continuity while acknowledging the growing unrest, they'd simply realign in a way that makes sense.

I never liked the idea of the HC and GM both reporting to the owner. That's a recipe for disaster. Or, as has been the case (or so it seems from unnamed sources), it's a green light to pitch the other guy under the bus when things don't go right.

No, enough. Stop all of this.

Two people report into the Pegulas: Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon. Rex Ryan (and/or any future HC) reports directly to Doug Whaley. Nobody making football decisions reports to Russ Brandon. He can sit in on meetings, he should absolutely be looped in on football operations while he manages business operations in tandem, but let's set some very clear channels and reporting structure here.

Otherwise, it's just an annual **** storm of who hired who, who wanted who to play quarterback, who's guy belongs to who, who's seeing eye to eye with whom, all of this NONSENSE.

Well of course finding the right QB isn't an external factor and they need to do more to identify/acquire the guy. Most of the talented players on the team are not nearing the end of the line. Look across the league at who most of the winning teams have beaten because they aren't playing each other every week. BTW, the Bills did beat NE, but I keep forgetting that doesn't count.

They will have holes to fill with so many impending free agents next season, so there is work to do. I don't know whether they'll fire Rex or not, but the constant drum beat for change because of 17 years isn't what would lead me to change if I were in charge at OBD.

This is what frustrates me about this all this !@#$ery:

Who drafted EJ? Was it Whaley was it Nix? Who got Orton? HC didn't seem to like it. Where'd Tyrod come from? Oh, he's Rex's guy. Well who hired Rex? Not Whaley. And the guy before him? Definitely a Russ Brandon hire. Or was it?

NOBODY KNOWS

If the Pegulas wanted to maintain continuity while acknowledging the growing unrest, they'd simply realign in a way that makes sense.

I never liked the idea of the HC and GM both reporting to the owner. That's a recipe for disaster. Or, as has been the case (or so it seems from unnamed sources), it's a green light to pitch the other guy under the bus when things don't go right.

No, enough. Stop all of this.

Two people report into the Pegulas: Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon. Rex Ryan (and/or any future HC) reports directly to Doug Whaley. Nobody making football decisions reports to Russ Brandon. He can sit in on meetings, he should absolutely be looped in on football operations while he manages business operations in tandem, but let's set some very clear channels and reporting structure here.

Otherwise, it's just an annual **** storm of who hired who, who wanted who to play quarterback, who's guy belongs to who, who's seeing eye to eye with whom, all of this NONSENSE.

It's by design to drive the propaganda. It's easy to shape hope when nobody knows who screwed up.

Their 7-7 record is a complete mirage, just as their 4-2 record earlier this season was.

We've beaten bad teams, and lost to good teams. I'd say 7-7 is pretty accurate.

How many franchise QBs have we 'missed' on since 2013?

NOBODY KNOWS

It's not hard to figure out. It really isn't

Two people report into the Pegulas: Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon. Rex Ryan (and/or any future HC) reports directly to Doug Whaley.

All 3 report to the Pegula's. Rex works with Whaley, he doesn't work under him (which is not the way to run a front office).

Their 7-7 record is a complete mirage, just as their 4-2 record earlier this season was.

I dont really want to discredit all the wins...

But their performance against good teams... as it has been in the past.... does not indicate that this team is on the precipice of competing with the top 12, especially on the road. They feast on bad teams. Maybe one time if everything breaks their way, and they can beat, say Kansas City at home one time... they can make the playoffs and lose on the road in the first round.

I want them to create a good, sustainable football program. Their sites need to be set higher than making the playoffs someday. Nothing here makes me believe anyone internally understands how to make sustainability happen. They should be continually trading down in the draft unless it is a QB.

Edited by May Day 10

It's not hard to figure out. It really isn't

All 3 report to the Pegula's. Rex works with Whaley, he doesn't work under him (which is not the way to run a front office).

I know that. I was saying how it SHOULD be.

I dont really want to discredit all the wins...

But their performance against good teams... as it has been in the past.... does not indicate that this team is on the precipice of competing with the top 12, especially on the road. They feast on bad teams. Maybe one time if everything breaks their way, and they can beat, say Kansas City at home one time... they can make the playoffs and lose on the road in the first round.

I want them to create a good, sustainable football program. Their sites need to be set higher than making the playoffs someday. Nothing here makes me believe anyone internally understands how to make sustainability happen. They should be continually trading down in the draft unless it is a QB.

Well, apparently all you need is an email address, an easy to remember hard to figure out password and access to a message board to understand that teams are built around their QB's. I'm not sure on what authority you're making the supposition that nobody in our FO has grasped this.

You can subtract wins from every team. I know it hurts but the Bills are stuck in the exact middle.

Yep. We crush lesser teams. We don't have a good enough defense/QB combo to hang with the better ones.

We'll draft anywhere from 14-19 this year, and that'll be that. Precisely who we are.

Edited by The Big Cat

Good article that raises genuine concerns. At this point Id give Whaley a C plus. Hes done some very good things and some not so good things. Unless he and rex cant stand each other Im bringing everyone back for one more year. That includes Tyrod. Draft a qb in he top three rounds. Bring in a back up vet. Clean house if no playoffs next year including brandon.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Typo police out in full force today... When you can't debate content focus on spelling , punctuation and grammar. Keep promoting doing the same thing that has failed for the entire century and then attack those pointing out the status quo isn't working. Those are the low IQ fans I am addressing.

Gotta love the typo police. Frustrated english majors who got blocked from the Edgar Allen Poe site for being overly argumentative. Come to TBD to put us commoners in our place. Edited by TANK2

Good article that raises genuine concerns. At this point Id give Whaley a C plus. Hes done some very good things and some not so good things. Unless he and rex cant stand each other Im bringing everyone back for one more year. That includes Tyrod. Draft a qb in he top three rounds. Bring in a back up vet. Clean house if no playoffs next year including brandon.

Gotta love the typo police. Frustrated english majors who got blocked from the Edgar Allen Poe site for being overly argumentative. Come to TBD to put us commoners in our place.

...this is suspiciously specific.