Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

Based on recent history it's hard to argue with your point about attendance not being directly linked to on-field success. It's fair to surmise that this is a huge selling point as to why the Pegulas became interested in owning each of these teams.

The Sabres were supported quite well throughout the tank/rebuild, especially once GMTM took it right down to the studs. This was mainly because, I think, fans trusted that there would be a bright future. But let's remember, ticket elasticity was a bit more of an issue just as the Pegulas took over the Sabres' franchise. It only improved once Darcy was finally sent packing, and the Nolan-LaFontaine combination served to get the fans to forgive.

What exactly do Bills fans now have to look forward to?

I view Rex's hire as being almost that same type of Nolan-LaFontaine fan-appeasement figure... to sell tickets immediately (for sure) & to possibly take us to the playoffs if he could work some magic with our roster talent. I just think we are now at the point where he has not shown any ability to do the 2nd part. Many of us die-hard Bills fans are tired of Rex's salesmanship and things, and Whaley's fatal flaw of not wanting to admit a mistake and move on.

I do not believe Bills fans will just blindly support a plan of continuity going into 2017, and I also think the Pegulas know this.

I think they had a window of a few years as well as cap money to spend and blew it. The window is actually closing now. Players are aging, contracts are unfavorable, and they dont have a glut of picks/assets.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Bucky Gleason or Jerry Sullivan report it, I don't believe it. These dudes are the ones who break all the Bills stories.

Let Whaley have complete control over the process and see if he can hire a real coach for once.

they never break bills stories. People on this board break more stories than the Buffalo News

@salsports

I spoke to three separate sources today that I trust implicitly and all told me the same thing: No decision has been made yet on Rex Ryan.

Nothing will happen. Rex will go 9-7 and the pegula's will be content

@salsports

I spoke to three separate sources today that I trust implicitly and all told me the same thing: No decision has been made yet on Rex Ryan.

I will go out on a limb and say Pegs is pissed there are leaks and has made that known through out the organization. I do believe the rumors the past week were accurate, even jw had that sense, all we can do now is wait and see....

I guess the board would say I am mixed up.....but, I want to see Ryan go....I hated the hire day 1. But, I would like to see TT stay....imho..TT still developing, and really has good tools. He isn't complete yet, but is getting better. TT will make his $20mil next year somewhere......just maybe not with the Bills. do you supposed Whaley is still pissed that his guy EJ sat the bench behind TT for two years? And, glad to see EJ finally go too. I think we have rookie owners problems right now. I am dropping my season tickets after many decades (really)...can't stand the ongoing hot mess with the bills anymore.

YardsPerPass.com ‏@YardsPerPass 13m13 minutes ago

To me, Rex staying on is more of a marketing problem than a football one

Thats the connection I made as soon as I hear the report before the pittsburgh game. It just screams lets fire rex to make sure we sell.tickets next year. Which is why I go straight to brandon when I think of who should go.

Then that means we don't have the right owner and this team will never succeed.

Pegula is a gift and a curse.

Gift: Bills and Sabres are here for the long-term

Curse: He's quite possibly an idiot and we're stuck with him for the long-term

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

#Bills C Eric Wood backs Rex and continuity in message to Pegulas. Tells AP: "This isn't hockey."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/bills-c-wood-backs-rex-ryan-relaying-message-ownership

"This isn't like hockey where you scrap your franchise guy that you know is coming like an Eichel or McDavid," Wood said, referring to Buffalo's Jack Eichel and Edmonton's Connor McDavid, the top two picks in the 2015 draft. "This is football. You can get a No. 1 draft pick, and the best guy on the board is a tackle that year, and a tackle doesn't change your franchise."

Edited by Reed83HOF

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

#Bills C Eric Wood backs Rex and continuity in message to Pegulas. Tells AP: "This isn't hockey."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/bills-c-wood-backs-rex-ryan-relaying-message-ownership

Now watch for Adam Schefter reporting that league sources are reporting that Jason LaCornflake is reporting that Wood is likely to be cut in the off-season...

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

"This isn't like hockey where you scrap your franchise guy that you know is coming like an Eichel or McDavid," Wood said, referring to Buffalo's Jack Eichel and Edmonton's Connor McDavid, the top two picks in the 2015 draft. "This is football. You can get a No. 1 draft pick, and the best guy on the board is a tackle that year, and a tackle doesn't change your franchise."

Great. Now every tackle in the league will target Wood next year.

He is right in some ways of course.

I don't claim to know what is going on inside OBD. My impression is that Whaley has done a decent job. He was serving under Buddy and has been hamstrung by Rex needing 23 first rounders to make his defense work.

I think Rex is a good dude and think he could be a good coach....maybe...but his stupid defensive system that is at least 10 years out of step with today's NFL has cost us dearly. Look at what decent offenses do to it. It get torched every single time. If he realizes that and either turns over the reins to an independent DC, or makes modifications, I don't see why he can't be a good coach.

Can TT manage a winning team provided an actual top notch...or close to top notch....defense is in place?

To me, the least likely of these three thing to change would be Rex. That is unfortunate.

I have had that thought. The fans and media are very, very down on him. Weight of the drought is heavy.

Sigh...that it is...

Give me a break with the continuity bull ****.

Miami dumped their coach and are reaping the benefits this year in year one.

If they wanted continuity they should've kept Schwartz.

You have to be able to bring in an upgrade. My feelings have been that everyone must go if you decide to pull the plug on Rex. You simply cannot fire him and keep the FO and be able to bring in an upgrade. Lynn is not really an upgrade...