The current Bills have no idea how to play in the snow

YoloinOhio

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Linebackers were sliding all over the place like newborn calves. Can't really game plan around tackling and running. Need to practice in it.

You CAN gameplan for the elements.....but even if you don't it's a pretty simple change that doesn't even require a half time or even a timeout.

Just change personnel and run it right at them.

The Bills execute straight ahead football in the redzone and short yardage......where they are fairly efficient......it's a matter of calling the plays......putting a block on the man in front of you and the back following and maintaining his balance and finding an opening while the smaller defenders are being skated backwards.

When you allow defenders to shoot gaps like the Steelers were permitted to.......your QB and RB's are forced to make a lot of change of direction plays in the backfield........and in the snow that puts your offense at a disadvantage. Hence Tyrod not being able to get going on the ground and McCoy having a terrible day running the ball himself.

It was a VERY discouraging, unresponsive effort by Anthony Lynn.

I love the run game design and it fits the OL to perfection........but Lynn has lost his luster as a play caller recently and the pass game design is very poor.

That's rather obvious:

stnk75pzcr3y.jpg

"I'm very close to having it back on the road"

Not sure to what extent college helps or not. I agree with Yolo that most Big Ten players will see a snow game. Perhaps more important, higher rates of players attend campuses they live near. I think it matters more where the player grew up vs went to college. You play so much ball before you even reach College. If you come from the Midwest you certainly get a respect for snow and play in it, practice in it, etc. Now would I draft a player around this? If everything was equal sure. Probably wouldn't let that sway me into drafting a player. I did enjoy the early 90's teams though. Excellent players, excellent in the elements. It was hell for teams to play us late in the year back then.

You CAN gameplan for the elements.....but even if you don't it's a pretty simple change that doesn't even require a half time or even a timeout.

Just change personnel and run it right at them.

The Bills execute straight ahead football in the redzone and short yardage......where they are fairly efficient......it's a matter of calling the plays......putting a block on the man in front of you and the back following and maintaining his balance and finding an opening while the smaller defenders are being skated backwards.

When you allow defenders to shoot gaps like the Steelers were permitted to.......your QB and RB's are forced to make a lot of change of direction plays in the backfield........and in the snow that puts your offense at a disadvantage. Hence Tyrod not being able to get going on the ground and McCoy having a terrible day running the ball himself.

It was a VERY discouraging, unresponsive effort by Anthony Lynn.

I love the run game design and it fits the OL to perfection........but Lynn has lost his luster as a play caller recently and the pass game design is very poor.

"I'm very close to having it back on the road"

Nailed it

Not sure to what extent college helps or not. I agree with Yolo that most Big Ten players will see a snow game. Perhaps more important, higher rates of players attend campuses they live near. I think it matters more where the player grew up vs went to college. You play so much ball before you even reach College. If you come from the Midwest you certainly get a respect for snow and play in it, practice in it, etc. Now would I draft a player around this? If everything was equal sure. Probably wouldn't let that sway me into drafting a player. I did enjoy the early 90's teams though. Excellent players, excellent in the elements. It was hell for teams to play us late in the year back then.

The thing is you aren't going to take a lower rated player that is from the north for 14-15 games a year because you MIGHT see snow in 1-2 games and he MIGHT be better in it

As Badol notes, we have a lot of speed and shiftiness and need to focus on getting straight ahead in the snow.

It'll sound silly but I also wonder if we had the best cleats, if our ground crew and equipment crew were communicating about clearing the field, etc...

In the Steelers game the Bills looked like they were playing in snow for the first time. I realize the snow wasn't plentiful in WNY until recently and not sure how much time they've had to be able to practice in it. But it was pretty noticeable. Are they practicing in it this week? Because it's supposed to snow again on Sunday.

A lot of the players we've drafted and signed in FA are from the south or warm climate schools. McCoy is the exception. I've always advocated the Big 10 should be more of a focus for cold weather teams. Leveon Bell and Ryan Shazier were the best two players on the field and they both played in weather and snow for years before going into the league. Shazier is from Miami but had 3 years of weather in college. Thoughts?

as far as i'm concerned, playing in snow is an ATTITUDE. that's what made last weeks effort such sacrilege.

I'm serious. to me, snow games are SACRED. to see them get rolled like that was utter humilation

to me, it's russ and whaley bringing in a bunch of pussies...others will blame rex. but that is an argument for any of the many other threads in which it's currently being discussed.

nonetheless. that was SHAMEFUL...an affront to Bills fans who would happily spend the whole day getting snowed on for an honest effort.

Edited by jester43

In the Steelers game the Bills looked like they were playing in snow for the first time. I realize the snow wasn't plentiful in WNY until recently and not sure how much time they've had to be able to practice in it. But it was pretty noticeable. Are they practicing in it this week? Because it's supposed to snow again on Sunday.

A lot of the players we've drafted and signed in FA are from the south or warm climate schools. McCoy is the exception. I've always advocated the Big 10 should be more of a focus for cold weather teams. Leveon Bell and Ryan Shazier were the best two players on the field and they both played in weather and snow for years before going into the league. Shazier is from Miami but had 3 years of weather in college. Thoughts?

I'm unsure of the reasons...But the eyeball test certainly backs up your point here...They looked terrible out there at times last Sunday...They certainly did not look like a grizzled cold weather team... B-)

Glad you posted this. I was only able to watch the first part of the game at the airport and it looked like the bills were moving in slow motion out there on both O and D.

They seem to slip and slide on a dry sunny day, apparently the equipment manager only buys sneakers