mike smith

nuklz2594

He's a horrible head coach, famous for brain gaffes at critical times.

Yeah - same with Schwartz. Anyone remember the time Schwartz challenged a fumble... that was returned for a TD? Oh yeah - at the time it was a penalty to challenge a non-reviewable play (all turnovers are reviewed so you can't challenge)... so instead of getting the ball back it was 6 the other way. I think they got a 15 yard penalty too. Dumb rule at the time - but still an absolutely idiotic move on his part.

Edited by dneveu

No, don't want another HC from the defensive side. the way offenses are going want either a guy who came up on the offensive side, or think I'd be fine with someone with a ST background, and let him hire to top coordinators, less meddling that way. When Chan Gailey was HC here, he was very involved with the offense, put a ST guy in there, that probably doesn't happen as much.

Smith actually was a very good HC. Smith inherited a total sh*t show in Atl after Petrino took off in the middle of the night, and Vick. His GM could not pick linemen to save his life. They brought in Pioli and a few other FO people and the Falcons are looking good. Dimitrof is a finesse guy, he struggles understanding big uglies. Smith did make a few questionable calls to go for it or not. I knkow Smith is a smart guy and he learned a lot from his time in Atl. Given another shot i think Smith will win. Smith reminds me of a younger Coughlin. a no non sense, does not like to talk much, and would get the job done.

BTW Coughlin wasn't Coughlin till he had Eli. Show me one 'great' coach over the past 15 years that did not have a good QB?OR an average QB playing good for a critical stretch.

Smith actually was a very good HC. Smith inherited a total sh*t show in Atl after Petrino took off in the middle of the night, and Vick. His GM could not pick linemen to save his life. They brought in Pioli and a few other FO people and the Falcons are looking good. Dimitrof is a finesse guy, he struggles understanding big uglies. Smith did make a few questionable calls to go for it or not. I knkow Smith is a smart guy and he learned a lot from his time in Atl. Given another shot i think Smith will win. Smith reminds me of a younger Coughlin. a no non sense, does not like to talk much, and would get the job done.

BTW Coughlin wasn't Coughlin till he had Eli. Show me one 'great' coach over the past 15 years that did not have a good QB?OR an average QB playing good for a critical stretch.

Interesting suggestion. I still favor Shaw from Stanford but I think Smith does deserve a second look.

Coughlin was a good coach in Jacksonville, he had a career back up QB in Mark Brunell and got more out of less talent than others.

Experienced head coach with a career winning record. It's not like his teams were stacked with talent his first few seasons. Only Roddy White and Michael Turner were Pro Bowl players. Matt Ryan didn't start approaching elite status until his 5th year if you look at his stats.

I know we all want the next Belichick, or Parcells, or Walsh. Mike Smith isn't a sexy choice in comparison. But I'd be happy with this until someone provides a better option.

I do not want someone from the Belichick tree; it does not produce NFL fruit.

Edited by somnus00

Coughlin was a good coach in Jacksonville, he had a career back up QB in Mark Brunell and got more out of less talent than others.

Brunell was in his third year after backing up Favre for two seasons in Green Bay when he went to Jax in 95. 95 was the same year Coughlin went to Jax. When Brunell had good a season in Jax , the Jags won.

Mike Smith would be the type of guy Bills fans would love. Hard working coach who will get his players respect and give it back to them.

Give. Me. A. Break.

I have watched every episode of Hard Knocks from the beginning and Mike Smith is FAR AND AWAY the most unlikeable head coach I've ever seen (Gregg Williams and that douche defensive line coach are 1-2 coaches overall). And not unlikeable in a Tom Coughlin tough love sort of way- unlikeable like he's super lame and a huge dork. He may be good with X's and O's but he is not getting anyone riled up to fight for him on Sundays. Classic example of 'our guys are trash because they're our guys but other teams' trash... hmm...' Like we all think that Rex Ryan is a clown but if you're another team on the other side of the league, two years from now I bet someone's thinking, ya know what? Rex Ryan took a Jets team without a franchise QB to two conference championship games and then led a meandering Bills team to two 8-8 records- not bad at all. Believe me when I tell you that Mike Smith is more of a clown than Rex Ryan.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round

Exactly. We can and will do better than this. It would be the most uninspiring hire you could possibly make this side of Jeff Fisher.

He's a horrible head coach, famous for brain gaffes at critical times.

Guy had multiple playoffs berths and was a game away from the SB. The Falcons haven't been lighting up the league since he left. He is far from horrible.

That said, if he isn't bringing Matt Ryan, he just a non loud mouth Rex.

Interesting suggestion. I still favor Shaw from Stanford but I think Smith does deserve a second look.

I would do backflips if they could ever get Shaw. He got Kevin Hogan drafted.