GM Whaley

WIDE LEFT

Often shake my head at the critics of Whaley. The WNY media hyperanalyzes each draft choice, and any failed pick gets Whaley a heap of criticism. For example, the clueless brothers, Jerry Sullivan & Bucky Gleason, neither of whom has ever developed a source with NFL knowledge/insider. Why bother, when it's just so much easier to shoot from the hip with their uninformed opinions, based on their "extensive" experience in the pro football world. Does anybody think either of these two clowns has ever reviewed even one game tape. Or developed a knowledgeable source who can review/analyze game tape? The answer is no, and the consequence is that their opinions are no more informed than any drunk sitting at any bar in WNY. The difference is they have a forum. It's the only difference

The proper way to evaluate Whaley is not to compare him to perfection, but rather compare his drafts to the other NFL teams drafts. Hey go ahead and compare his drafts to Hall of Fame GM Polian drafts. Whaley compares well. And don't forget, as his critics so often do, his trades and veteran acquisitions. It's almost as if the Jerry Hughes trade never happened, he just sort of showed up here, if you listen to his critics, who conveniently ignore all this.

And my favorite, often repeated by two lazy nitwits on WGR, one of whom believes he is a bulldog of sorts, whining about the trade up to get Watkins. You would think Whaley gave up the entire future of the franchise by giving up first round pick (19th overall) in the following year. But they can never tell you who that future hall of fame player was that the Bills missed out on by giving up that 19th pick. Go ahead, look at that draft and tell me what player available there could have turned this franchise around. I guarantee that your Bulldog was to lazy to even research that. Hey it's easier to just go on the air and shoot from the uninformed hip. BTW - if you do find such a player, what's the guarantee the Bills would have picked him.

A reasonable evaluation of Whaley reveals a GM doing an excellent job, when compared to his peers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often shake my head at the critics of Whaley. The WNY media hyperanalyzes each draft choice, and any failed pick gets Whaley a heap of criticism. For example, the clueless brothers, Jerry Sullivan & Bucky Gleason, neither of whom has ever developed a source with NFL knowledge/insider. Why bother, when it's just so much easier to shoot from the hip with their uninformed opinions, based on their "extensive" experience in the pro football world. Does anybody think either of these two clowns has ever reviewed even one game tape. Or developed a knowledgeable source who can review/analyze game tape? The answer is no, and the consequence is that their opinions are no more informed than any drunk sitting at any bar in WNY. The difference is they have a forum. It's the only difference

The proper way to evaluate Whaley is not to compare him to perfection, but rather compare his drafts to the other NFL teams drafts. Hey go ahead and compare his drafts to Hall of Fame GM Polian drafts. Whaley compares well. And don't forget, as his critics so often do, his trades and veteran acquisitions. It's almost as if the Jerry Hughes trade never happened, he just sort of showed up here, if you listen to his critics, who conveniently ignore all this.

And my favorite, often repeated by two lazy nitwits on WGR, one of whom believes he is a bulldog of sorts, whining about the trade up to get Watkins. You would think Whaley gave up the entire future of the franchise by giving up first round pick (19th overall) in the following year. But they can never tell you who that future hall of fame player was that the Bills missed out on by giving up that 19th pick. Go ahead, look at that draft and tell me what player available there could have turned this franchise around. I guarantee that your Bulldog was to lazy to even research that. Hey it's easier to just go on the air and shoot from the uninformed hip. BTW - if you do find such a player, what's the guarantee the Bills would have picked him.

A reasonable evaluation of Whaley reveals a GM doing an excellent job, when compared to his peers.

So go ahead and compare him to all 31 other teams. I'll wait.

I predict this will not sit well with some folks. :)

Just a guess.

I happen to think he's a good (above average) GM, and he's better at his job that Rex is as a HC.

Why would it? He gave us no argument besides "WGR bad!"

I'm a Whaley fan. I feel he's brought in and drafted some really good talent. Unfortunately the coaching isn't taking advantage of it. It didn't help him with Lawson missing time and Ragland missing the entire year. We just got to get the Qb situation figured out.

Just wait unit this off season, the Bills are going to be a mess.

1. CAP

2. Free Agents

3. No QB.

And Clay/McCoy contracts...

And, the Bills won't be playing the NFC West next year.

Edited by San-O

Im not a Whaley hater (or a Tyrod hater), but Derek Carr was taken at the 4th pick of the 2nd round that year.

I know the argument...you don't take a QB in the 1st when you did the same thing the year before.

I didn't believe that then, I don't believe it now. They took a QB in Manuel who, by all accounts, was a bit of a longshot (I don't blame Whaley for that..), Not a guy you place all of your hopes on.

*EDIT Oops..to clarify....on the THAT year, I was referring to the year Watkins was taken, not the year after.

Edited by CookieG

Whaley is the best GM we've had since the 90's. Better than Donahoe, Levy, and Nix. The mold takes time and he inherited a team with very little talent overall. His drafts, trades, and FA pickups have completely turned around the talent level on this team. We are still lacking a legit passer at the QB position and a coach to bring it all together. If we could get the legit QB then even Rex could succeed if you ask me. No one can argue that the team has been any better overall talent wise in the last 17 years. Maybe the early 2000's had a little better defense lingering from the previous regime, but overall it's comparable. To be great we need a legit QB and the right coach would just be the icing on the cake.

Whaley is a decent evaluator of defensive talent

Hard stop

Exactly. Great at finding players for the defense, but there's no way you want him calling all the shots, that's why he doesn't have the power to hire HC. TD could've used him instead of John Guy, that would've been an upgrade.

It seems clear that the main problem has been coaching effectiveness and also staff turnover.

I feel like this team has been as talented as ever, besides at QB, but most GMs struggle to find the QB. It helps to have coaching that can effectively develop your guy.

Exactly. Great at finding players for the defense, but there's no way you want him calling all the shots, that's why he doesn't have the power to hire HC. TD could've used him instead of John Guy, that would've been an upgrade.

John Guy. Thanks for bringing back that memory lol. What an over inflated self important jackass he was.

I didn't believe that then, I don't believe it now. They took a QB in Manuel who, by all accounts, was a bit of a longshot (I don't blame Whaley for that..), Not a guy you place all of your hopes on.

Kind of you to wash his hands. Unfortunately, reality is that Whaley was right in the thick of projecting and drafting Manuel.

The good news, if you're a card-carrying Whaley Party member, is that Doug may survive the EJM pick to draft the next Franchise Savior at the position. (Or he may choose to follow tradition and continue playing cast-off craps while replacing lost pieces one by one with his drafts.) So hopefully he learned a thing or two about the scouting, drafting, and development of QBs with the EJM situation. Whaley's chances of surviving a second epic fail at the Franchise Savior is highly unlikely to be survivable. It will be completely and entirely on him.

I thought Donahoe was a pretty dam good GM as far as talent goes and making trades etc. His failure was his ego and paranoia and distrust of others. Once the press wrote some bad articles about him, he was a changed man and couldn't handle it.

As far as Levy goes, he was terrible and realistically both him and RB were more GM's in name only and did very little actually around making choices on players.

Whaley is the best GM we've had since the 90's. Better than Donahoe, Levy, and Nix.

I thought Donahoe was a pretty dam good GM as far as talent goes and making trades etc. His failure was his ego and paranoia and distrust of others. Once the press wrote some bad articles about him, he was a changed man and couldn't handle it.

As far as Levy goes, he was terrible and realistically both him and RB were more GM's in name only and did very little actually around making choices on players.

Donohoe's signature initial moves were to hire Gregg Williams, go with Rob Johnson, and exile Ted Washington. These decisions put him deep in the hole, and he never was able to climb out despite drafting/signing the occasional good player.