Rex Ryan for GM??

Whaley has done no better than those before him and is responsible for very poor offensive talent, he needs to go.

Whether judged by wins or losses, success in the draft or street free agents found that is simply not true. What he hasn't done yet is find a Quarterback and a coach and they are the two pieces that matter most.

another reason to go

I think that sounds like a reason to let him pick his own coach and let him and his team have their shot at a high round Quarterback.

If he had done a bad job in other areas I'd say don't give him those shots but he hasn't.

If the Bills want to clear house I could understand that. But when it comes to ranking what is holding this team back Doug is way down the list as far as I am concerned. If I was Terry Pegula I would be keeping him and stepping back myself.

I think that sounds like a reason to let him pick his own coach and let him and his team have their shot at a high round Quarterback.

If he had done a bad job in other areas I'd say don't give him those shots but he hasn't.

If the Bills want to clear house I could understand that. But when it comes to ranking what is holding this team back Doug is way down the list as far as I am concerned. If I was Terry Pegula I would be keeping him and stepping back myself.

You are correct, Whaley is not the problem nor is Rex, this is an organizational failure. This organization has a losing culture and it kills me when many on this board state the years before Whaley or Pegula don't count, they do. Horrible drafting, coaching, scouting; clean house and start over.

I'll agree Whaley is not the problem. Rex? Not a fan. Give Whaley a chance your way. If finding a QB was easy everyone would have one and we'd ALL be above average and in the playoffs. (Unless maybe if Rex is your coach...)

Who was the GMs first choice last time?

You know the answer to that question. He is currently winless but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a better fit here at the time of the appointment. If Hue had come here and failed then I think it is easier to say Whaley has failed as well.

Doug Whaley has done an absolutely phenomenal job as a GM of the Buffalo Bills.

As of right now, the Bills are one of 10 (ten!) teams in the NFL who have played .500 better or ball in each of the past 2 seasons. And out of those 10 teams, 6 of them (including the Bills) are within a game of .500 this year. If the Bills finish at or above .500, and a few times finish a game below .500, the Bills will be part of an exclusive club that includes NFL royalty like Patriots, Broncos, Packers, and Steelers.

Doug Whaley came to Buf from Pittsburgh, where he was for over a decade. Pittsburgh is one of the best run franchises in the NFL--and they have continuous success. To achieve organizational success like that, you need more than just "a new quarterback", you need a system that can scout the country for new talent, watch the waiver wire, check out practice squads, monitor players in the league to see who's turning over the bottom of their roster. Whether or not it assuages your anger, the fact is that this Bills team has lost A LOT of players to injury... but, wait, you say (now say it with me): "every team has injuries". They do, which is why the list of teams that have strung together .500 seasons includes only 10 teams, winning in the NFL is hard, and only good organizations can be successful over time. The Bills have managed to tread water this year, with a rash of injuries; last year, they were able to do the same with a new head coach (new defense) and a new quarterback (essentially a rookie). What their success (and I use that term as a measure of their performance, record wise, in comparison to the other 31 teams in the league--not as a measure of your personal wish fulfillment) is showing is that they are built with quality depth, which means there is cheap, sustainable talent from top to bottom, offense, defense, and special teams, from the starters to the practice squad.

I don't know if the Bills are a year away, or 2 years away, or 5 years away. I don't know how long it takes to build a winning football organization. How long it takes to hire the right nutritionists, film technicians, personal trainers, scouting department, maintenance crews, etc. etc. But building an entire organization is not an easy task. Blowing it up and starting over would set us right back to square freaking one. We could feasibly be in a situation next year with a returning OC, an established roster, a halfway decent QB, an all pro WR and RB, a healthy defense, and 40 million to spend going into free agence--who knows, Brady might even win a ring and ride off into the sunset.

Consider the following:

The Bills are not moving backwards, and they are playing even (or winning) football for a 3 year stretch for only the 3rd time since the Super Bowl era. The first time they did it was the last 3 years of the Super Bowl teams, led by an unstoppable offense, which was managed by a hell of a GM that Ralph ran out of town; the next time they did it, Flutie was in town, the defense was all world, and they ran a hell of a GM (and coach!) out of town; now, we have the best rushing offense in the league, an all world Oline, and have a hell of a GM in town, the only difference is, this team hasn't peaked, it's on the way up.

Can we finally, for the first time in a quarter century, have a little continuity?

14-2 seems like it could legitimately be in play next year. I'm begging ownership to not cave into the instant-gratification crowd. This team is loaded, and winning more football games than 2/3ds-3/4 of the league. Let 'em play ball one more year together, they just might surprise you.

.500 or better in each of the past two seasons puts us in an exclusive club? If so, imagine what Rex (as coach) could have done if he had the right horses in the barn? Doug is the one who put this team of mules together...Rex is just playing the hand he was dealt.

My biggest fear would be coaching hires/nepotism.

Other than that, I don't think this is a crazy idea.

He does have relationships.

He does have a decent draft record.

Players do like to play for him, so it would help in attracting free agents.

I'm not a fan (at all) of Rex as a Head Coach.

But I'm down for a liberal move like this to make him GM.

Seriously ... it's been 17 years since we sniffed the playoffs. How can this be a worse idea than any of the other moves?

Im in the thinking that if we can make this thought take traction then just possibly the chatter would happen all over the NFL and then...... Someone else would hire him as GM and then......he would hire Rob as the new head coach of his team he gets hired with! Brilliant!

.500 or better in each of the past two seasons puts us in an exclusive club? If so, imagine what Rex (as coach) could have done if he had the right horses in the barn? Doug is the one who put this team of mules together...Rex is just playing the hand he was dealt.

Or Whaley has given him the horses and the coach is a donkey?

This is one of the reasons you should let your GM run the football side of the organisation. If you do that and tie the two together the you don't have this question mark about where liability falls.

Or Whaley has given him the horses and the coach is a donkey?

This is one of the reasons you should let your GM run the football side of the organisation. If you do that and tie the two together the you don't have this question mark about where liability falls.

I'm with you to a certain extent. The main goal of this thread is to explore the possibility of Rex Ryan as a GM of the Buffalo Bills based on two criteria:

1) He is generally not well liked by the majority of the fans (and media) as a head coach... for better or for worse. Some may argue that he hasn't been given the tools (CB's, QB, etc.) and others may argue he isn't a bonafide "gameday" coach on the sidelines;

2) He is generally well liked and would attract talent to the team based on his connections and experience.

With these two thoughts in mind, I see Rex as a person who could negotiate contracts with players and agents and still assemble a team around him (front office and players alike) who want to succeed, who want to make the playoffs, who don't feel they are entitled to just "go through the motions" like Dareus, Watkins and Gilmore.

It would get him off the field and behind the scenes where I think he would blossom.

Edited by BringBackFergy

You know the answer to that question. He is currently winless but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a better fit here at the time of the appointment. If Hue had come here and failed then I think it is easier to say Whaley has failed as well.

People here assume this. Whaley has never said anything like that. All we know is how enthusiastic he was with Rex and the meetings they had and how he was gushing after they hired him.

Hue Jackson would have been the disaster that Rex has been. His record as HC is reed thin and dubious. Hue could have come in to the Browns, drafted a kid like Went, and they wouldn't have been winless this year. Instead, he wanted Goff---and tossed away the opportunity to draft any QB anyway in order to hoard more picks with those two moneybag goofballs running that team now.

People here assume this. Whaley has never said anything like that. All we know is how enthusiastic he was with Rex and the meetings they had and how he was gushing after they hired him.

No, I was told it by someone who would likely know and who I have no reason to disbelieve. Take that how you want. My understanding is that Whaley was asked to rank the candidates after the first round of interviews and Hue was ranked number 1.

He may have done worse than Rex in which case I'd have fired him and the GM who hired him.

Jeez, the guy took a 9-7 team that every Bills fan thought was a playoff team and went 8-8. Now this year it looks like another 8-8 year and some fans want him as GM?

Everyone? Did you? What about the rest of your pack mates like VABills, joesixpack, PearlHowardman, BillsVet, FeartheLosing, Very wide right, kdiggz, 4merper4mer, Yeezus and toilet insider Leroi? Many were predicting 4-12 season this year.

This is accurate as Ryan drafted for the defense with first round picks ever year from 2010 through 2014 and made some bad choices.

CB Kyle Wilson 2010

DT Muhammad Wilkerson 2011

DE Quinton Couples 2012

CB Dee Milliner 2013

DB Calvin Prior 2014

Is there any doubt as to why Rex Ryan's defense didn't improve from his first year with the Jets. I think he would suck as GM.

He is NOT a GM - he can make suggestions but up to GM to decide if a different player should be chosen. He did not and does not have GM powers.

Pros:

1) He has the Pegulas ear(s)...they like him.

2) Has been involved in an assortment of positions in the NFL.

3) He knows all the "players" (coaches, agents, players, colleges, etc)

4) It would take him off the sideline as a coach

5) Intelligence

6) Respected in NFL circles

7) Can identify talent (Ed Reed, Mo Wilkerson, Ivory, Mo Lewis, etc.)

8) Can work with others and plays his cards close to the vest.

9) It would take him off the sidelines as a coach x2

10) *add your own thoughts*

Oh come on man.

You're just trying to stir the pot.

This is the sort of thread that will end up being 20 pages long, all about nothing.

:lol:

In each of the last 2 seasons? No, it certainly doesn't. But if we continue to win at that rate this year, then yes, we'll be in about the top 25% of the league in terms of success over the last 3 years, and that's with switching head coaches, quarterbacks, offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinators--not to mention a rash of injuries. The other teams on that list (NE, GB, KC, PIT, SEA, DEN) are the NFL's elite. What that tells me, is that the Bills are building/have built a successful organization--and when that bears fruit (this year? next? the following?) it's likely to place us in the upper echelon of teams, and legitimately lead to another "golden age" of Bills football.

If the feat is so easily accomplished, I would expect to see some teams like Dallas, Carolina, NYG, Baltimore, etc. etc. on that list. But they're not, and we are.

Don't be so eager to blow this up.

We're damn close.. DAMN close.

He identified Tyrod Taylor as a franchise QB so that shows his GM abilities.

I think he picked Tyrod cuz he knew he could win with him as long as he had the 2014 Version of the Bills defense. That may have been the case but the 2015-2016 Bills defense is a different animal and doesnt have the horses or coaching to win with a QB at Tyrods level of learning/development/progress/preformance.

Pros:

1) He has the Pegulas ear(s)...they like him.

2) Has been involved in an assortment of positions in the NFL.

3) He knows all the "players" (coaches, agents, players, colleges, etc)

4) It would take him off the sideline as a coach

5) Intelligence

6) Respected in NFL circles

7) Can identify talent (Ed Reed, Mo Wilkerson, Ivory, Mo Lewis, etc.)

8) Can work with others and plays his cards close to the vest.

9) It would take him off the sidelines as a coach x2

10) *add your own thoughts*

I honestly think this has merit.

So you are saying you should have posted thread?

boomity boom boom

:D

Let's promote the slowest, most incompetent burger flipper so he can no longer grill and slow down production. If he does not go at least 9-7 or losses to the Browns he is done like dinner.

Thats how it's done where I work.

Whats the problem?

I know you like whaley but if we are not judging him on wins then look at the Talent; Sadly Buddy Nix has more pro bowlers than Whaley does. He has made some bold moves but at what cost and has gotten players with potential but were able to get them because they were damaged goods. Bottom line is our talent is just not good enough and his total neglect of RT is egregious and honestly I don't trust him to pick a QB with the three we already have let alone find a coach.

Sadly, more like another season to go.

UGH!

No, I was told it by someone who would likely know and who I have no reason to disbelieve. Take that how you want. My understanding is that Whaley was asked to rank the candidates after the first round of interviews and Hue was ranked number 1.

He may have done worse than Rex in which case I'd have fired him and the GM who hired him.

just curious, being from England who do you know that would know?

Thats how it's done where I work.

Whats the problem?

Mine too lol, although just recently that changed out most of the foreman who were inadequate and put in guys that have a clue of what's going on.