Tom Melton on Tyrod Taylor. Perfect analysis.

stevestojan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never gonna be a pro bowler?! WRONG!

In all seriousness, he needs to work on pocket awareness. To say he can't do that isn't really true... he just needs to make it a major focus. Use the whole field. He's taller than a few guys who ar very successful, what do they do?

Read defenses presnap, adjust the play based upon what they see, hit the right receiver at the right time.

who's going to want to come here after the QB gets run out of town the year after being in the Pro Bowl?

The NFL is a business to most players nowadays. So someone will see we have Sammy Watkins and McCoy and the best running game in the league and think it will make it for an easy job. Heck I'd imagine the sole reason Tyrod picked us over Denver was he saw he had a chance to start here sooner than later and in turn get a chance at a bigger pay day.

Edited by The Jokeman

He’s definitely got potential, but at this point he’s a lot closer to a 3rd round prospect than a 1strounder in my opinion. I don’t think he processes information quickly enough to be a top college quarterback and eventual quality NFL starter, and unless his head catches up with his arm and his body he’s going to be a physically gifted quarterback who never put it together from the mental aspect of the game. Until he proves that his football IQ has improved and that he can read defenses well I’m not going to grade him in the top 64 picks

EJ Manuel. Nailed it.

The lack of "anticipation" throws is what prevents most guys from being elite NFL QBs. That has been my biggest critique of Tyrod; I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt with all of the WR injuries but it seems that this is just the type of QB he is. He needs to see guys open before he pulls the trigger.

I've moved on from Tyrod and this season. Now I'm intrigued by the development of Cardale.

I read this sentence and it speaks volumes -

I don’t think he will ever be a pro-bowler, but I think he could be a solid game-manager that could extend drives with his legs and maybe make a playoff run if he has a good enough supporting cast and defense.

Other than McCoy and Watkins for a couple of games, what has TT had with respect to weapons? Woods, Goodwin, Hunter, Powell, Clay, etc. That group would have a hard time making many rosters. Another thing to point out here. This is TT first full year as a starter. Give him some time. Automatic SB winners / HofF inductees do not coming knocking on your doorstep. Also, now we seem to have an OC that can put some type of a game plan together.

Put some true weapons around him, get him some time to grow and I think we would be surprised at what everyone is panicking over right now.

My 2 cents - out.

EDIT: I stand corrected - I got my timing sequence off. TT did play a full year last year. He was out 2 games due to injury.

Edited by BuffaloBud

These positives are no longer true, if they ever were:

"His accuracy has come a long way on other throws as well, plus he has shown more willingness to scan the field, step up in the pocket to buy more time to find a throwing lane, and his decision making has really matured thanks to his vast amount of starting experience. His pocket poise has developed a lot and overall he is a much more fundamentally sound player now that he has been starting for so long."

These are "better than he was" statements, not "he is excellent/elite" statements

Thing is with guys that play a ton in college - if they don't have the fundamentals as a strength after a ton of reps it's often tough to re-learn them at the next level.

I read this sentence and it speaks volumes -

I dont think he will ever be a pro-bowler, but I think he could be a solid game-manager that could extend drives with his legs and maybe make a playoff run if he has a good enough supporting cast and defense.

Other than McCoy and Watkins for a couple of games, what has TT had with respect to weapons? Woods, Goodwin, Hunter, Powell, Clay, etc. That group would have a hard time making many rosters. Another thing to point out here. This is TT first full year as a starter. Give him some time. Automatic SB winners / HofF inductees do not coming knocking on your doorstep. Also, now we seem to have an OC that can put some type of a game plan together.

Put some true weapons around him, get him some time to grow and I think we would be surprised at what everyone is panicking over right now.

My 2 cents - out.

Fix Defense get more weapons. The same statement the Bills fans have made about every QB over the past 16 years.