A few thoughts about the Raiders Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

Traveling to the West Coast, playing the 2nd best team in the AFC, didn't give me high hopes for this game. I know we need it and the Bills have found a way to come out hot in some of these games. Both things turned out to be true, but so did the ultimate truth of being the Buffalo Bills.

1. TT - Let's just get this out of the way now. His inconsistency in these games is becoming consistent. The only excuse I can make for him is the playcalling rhythm. We were pass happy in the first quarter, run happy after that. Then we couldn't figure out what we were after that. Not a good excuse, but it's all I got.

TT missed more throws today after the first quarter than I can remember seeing him miss in a long time. He was missing deep, missing guys wide open (on replay), and just not able to get out pocket. It's going to be a bash-fest for the TT haters this week, so I'd stay away form the boards for those who support him. Side note, his thumbs up before the rushing TD to Gilly was pretty funny.

2. Mack - Nothing against Sammy, but when we traded up in that draft, I was really hoping he was our pick. We held him in check for 3 quarters and I was really proud of Mills. And then Mack found a way with both the tipped pass and recovering the fumble. Results matter and he effectively killed any chance of a comeback we had.

3. Seymour - Kid got abused today. I don't blame him for the Cooper TD because he had no business being on him. But Crabtree just ate him alive out there. I also blame Rex for knowing his secondary was hurt and still tried covering two 1k receivers in man so much. Just seemed like a poor choice and evident early. I don't know if this is why we dropped so many into coverage (more on that later), but hopefully he will learn from today.

4. Ok at me dreaming of you

All I could hope is to have you
To have you walking with me
Laughing so in love, we two
Almost drunkenly
I did imbibe of this
Fantasy of you and me

7. Red Zone Defense - If I'm not mistaken, we were the best Red Zone defense in the league through the first half of the year. Now? I can't imagine that still being the case. I could be wrong. When I saw Rob Ryan lose it on the sideline after one of the TD's, all I could think was "Oh my god, we have Rob Ryan on our coaching staff." I mean, what did we expect with the guy who got booted out of Dallas and New Orleans.

6. Overall Defense - I'm trying really hard to see the Magic of Rex on defense. 29 second half points, against any team, is just inexcusable. I give a ton of credit to the Raiders offensive line. Probably the second best in the league, after the Cowboys. With Carr in year 3, Cooper in year 2, and Crabtree living up to his potential, I think the Raiders will be the toast of the West and AFC for a solid decade. Even still, we never made Carr uncomfortable, never really got a pass rush. And when dropping 8 into coverage, still got smoked. The second half adjustments ripped us apart. Our defense seems to be getting worse in the second half and I just don't see it getting any better. We definitely don't look like a team that was leading the league in sacks.

8. 3rd down defense - Another week, another game of penalties and 3rd and longs giving the opposing team a first down. It's a real problem, if not our biggest one. This is a discipline thing to me. Knowing when to buckle down, not make the dumb mistakes, and make the opposing team press and come to you. It's not happening and a microcosm of our teams problems.

9. Wide Receivers - Sammy wasn't on the field for the second to last drive and disappearing more in the second half. I want him out there, but if we can't keep him out there and changing out our Wr's and effecting the offensive rhythm, it might be better to sit him.

Goodwin showed flashes in the second half, which makes his disappearances that much more frustrating.

Hunter's been with the team long enough where I would think he should be more of a weapon, but what do I know. Maybe it's all TT's fault. Who knows?

10. Schmidt - I don't know what's going on with him, but this is another game where he killed us. His ability to boom one can easily offset a 3 and out. Didn't happen today and he helped the Raiders momentum with good starting field position.

I think I'm about back on the FireRex campaign. I don't see us winning at home next week against the Steelers. I have no reason to believe the Jets or Dolphins are gimme's. More importantly, I don't see the team improving as the season goes on. I blame him for the Shaq pick. I've never hid that. No matter what you think of him, you can't say he's making an impact. He made a terrible decision to get caught inside on a long Murray run. He's not responsible for anything on offense and the defense is lackluster to say the least. I've said it each week, we make 2 good plays, and then 1 bad play to undo it all. We are not a mentally strong, fundamental team. This team is 100% what Rex wants out there, from players to coaches. It's not a playoff team and no off-season draft is going to change that. Even if we get a solid, healthy #2 WR, RT, and S. I can't say that it will be enough for us to be better.

I hate changing coaches. I hate the idea of losing Lynn as OC, because I do want to see a healthy offense, a full off-season for him, and TT for one more year. A new coach will blow that up. But long term, Rex hasn't proven anything in almost 6 years and that doesn't appear to be changing.

As Bills fans say in December, we aren't mathematically eliminated yet, so I'll see you next week in December. Don't let the loss get you down, Raiders are good and it was always going to be tough. Enjoy Bills football while you can, only 4 more games.

Go Bills!

Edited by Virgil

This was a complete collapse from the 24-9 lead. 1st the defense started leaking oil, then the offense went 3 and out on three consecutive series, and the 3rd phase went south with Schmidt performing poorly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You are just not going to win with TT. He's cant read a defense, climb the ladder in the pocket, cant throw over the middle with any regularity.

Rex please scrap that 3 man front,, we either get no pressure of gashed against the run.

Anybody see Jerry Hughes lately, maybe we should get his picture on a milk carton.

TT 10 for 26 for 89 yards after the first quarter, yikes ugly.

Watkins had like 32 yards after the first drive or so then pretty much nothing. What a waste with this QB

You would think with all the rushing yards we had that would open up the passing game.....not with TT

Im all in the fire Rex, Whaley and dump TT bangwagon. Whaley is good with FAs, the draft not so much.

Here's to another year of groundhog day viewing.

Edited by billsfan714

Traveling to the West Coast, playing the 2nd best team in the AFC, didn't give me high hopes for this game. I know we need it and the Bills have found a way to come out hot in some of these games. Both things turned out to be true, but so did the ultimate truth of being the Buffalo Bills.

I think I'm about back on the FireRex campaign. I don't see us winning at home next week against the Steelers. I have no reason to believe the Jets or Dolphins are gimme's. More importantly, I don't see the team improving as the season goes on. I blame him for the Shaq pick. I've never hid that. No matter what you think of him, you can't say he's making an impact. He made a terrible decision to get caught inside on a long Murray run. He's not responsible for anything on offense and the defense is lackluster to say the least. I've said it each week, we make 2 good plays, and then 1 bad play to undo it all. We are not a mentally strong, fundamental team. This team is 100% what Rex wants out there, from players to coaches. It's not a playoff team and no off-season draft is going to change that. Even if we get a solid, healthy #2 WR, RT, and S. I can't say that it will be enough for us to be better.

I hate changing coaches. I hate the idea of losing Lynn as OC, because I do want to see a healthy offense, a full off-season for him, and TT for one more year. A new coach will blow that up. But long term, Rex hasn't proven anything in almost 6 years and that doesn't appear to be changing.

As Bills fans say in December, we aren't mathematically eliminated yet, so I'll see you next week in December. Don't let the loss get you down, Raiders are good and it was always going to be tough. Enjoy Bills football while you can, only 4 more games.

Go Bills!

For me... The bolded part is what this loss put on clear display. I kinda half expected a loss, even started a thread suggesting that a loss today doesn't necessarily mean the season is over. But, here we are at 6-6 and more often than not, even in half our wins, we all end up with tangs of this feeling in out guts. This is not a disciplined team. It's the team Rex has has put together, the defense he wants to run, the QB he wanted... And this is what we are. Undisciplined, full of holes, and mediocre record. I have no reason to have confidence that Rex will suddenly figure it all out.

2:50 left in the first half, up by 4... What do you do? Go into a shell and piss away a possession. On the flip side, the Raiders get the ball with 30 seconds... What do they do? ...throw the damn ball down the field and get a FG to end the half. Pretty much pathetic.

Good post Virgil...you have hit a good stride with the post game thoughts.

I agree with your assessments generally, but this game assured me that Rex doesn't have what it takes to call/game plan the right defense anymore. Yes the Raiders are good, but the defensive strategy of drop into coverage with little to no pass rush just doesn't make sense against this team. Especially when they were playing with replacements all over the secondary. Some heat on the QB would have helped them on the back end.

The puzzling and ineffective schemes have occurred far too often this season and last season. Rex was given the staff he wanted (even Brother Rob), and the "fully pregnant" result is no better.

I can't see how Rex gets another season if his defense doesn't finish very strong.

I did an analysis a few weeks ago where I figured we would lose to Oakland but win out otherwise. We could still make the playoffs if one of the AFC West teams loses a few games. KC beating Atlanta today was a bad shot to our chances but it's not over. The best thing is if Oakland wins out and beats both the Chiefs and the Broncos when they have a chance to do so.

About today. It must have been one hell of a halftime speech. They actually picked up where they were most of the first half, and then, what, they got tired? There is a common factor that the Bills D doesn't do well against strong offensive lines. The Bills depend on a strong pass rush, and they couldn't get it today. Eventually the D line wore out, and that was that. That doesn't explain the O going into the tank after they got to 24-9. I have to figure the Oakland DC is a smart guy who figured out what we were doing and made adjustments. Rex seems to think making halftime adjustments is against league rules, but I'm pretty sure it's OK. He might try it one of these days.

Finally, the Raiders' O is just great. It was a miracle that we held them to 9 points until the early 3Q, but they were simply better. Our DBs in particular are simply no match. I was watching part of the Miami game today and Baccari Rambo is still going strong. Good thing we let him go so we could hold on to Duke and Meeks.

For me... The bolded part is what this loss put on clear display. I kinda half expected a loss, even started a thread suggesting that a loss today doesn't necessarily mean the season is over. But, here we are at 6-6 and more often than not, even in half our wins, we all end up with tangs of this feeling in out guts. This is not a disciplined team. It's the team Rex has has put together, the defense he wants to run, the QB he wanted... And this is what we are. Undisciplined, full of holes, and mediocre record. I have no reason to have confidence that Rex will suddenly figure it all out.

2:50 left in the first half, up by 4... What do you do? Go into a shell and piss away a possession. On the flip side, the Raiders get the ball with 30 seconds... What do they do? ...throw the damn ball down the field and get a FG to end the half. Pretty much pathetic.

I am 100% behind this reading of the problem. With one addition--I would not blame Whaley for the place this team is in. This is Rex's team. Whaley does not have organizational power over Rex, but has given Rex what Rex said he needed to run this team. And the result is on display. It all goes back to the coaching, even the player selection. He is a disaster. I blame Rex, and The Pegulas for hiring him.

Can somebody ... anybody ... explain to me WTF McCoy was doing on the field to close out the game? And WTF TT was thinking throwing him the ball on the last play? He hasn't been injured enough? WTF were they thinking risking him for no reason?

Mental midgets all over the Bills sideline. Starting with the chief mental midget Rex Ryan.

This was a complete collapse from the 24-9 lead. 1st the defense started leaking oil, then the offense went 3 and out on three consecutive series, and the 3rd phase went south with Schmidt performing poorly.

For once, please, just say it: 1) Tyrod sucks, and 2) Rex's defense blows. Just say it!!!

You are just not going to win with TT. He's cant read a defense, climb the ladder in the pocket, cant throw over the middle with any regularity.

Rex please scrap that 3 man front,, we either get no pressure of gashed against the run.

Anybody see Jerry Hughes lately, maybe we should get his picture on a milk carton.

TT 10 for 26 for 89 yards after the first quarter, yikes ugly.

Watkins had like 32 yards after the first drive or so then pretty much nothing. What a waste with this QB

You would think with all the rushing yards we had that would open up the passing game.....not with TT

Im all in the fire Rex, Whaley and dump TT bangwagon. Whaley is good with FAs, the draft not so much.

Here's to another year of groundhog day viewing.

Jerry Hughes pitches a shutout. No sacks, no tackles, nothing in the box score. At the start of the season I got in a couple disputes with some other (and knowledgeable I should add) TSW posters who said Hughes is an elite edge rusher. He isn't. You may have seen what Justin Houston just did coming off the IR, or what Mack and Von Miller do every week. No shutouts for them, ever.

But just as bad was watching the Raiders run it right up the gut against the $100 Million Stoner, particularly Murray's run for a first down right before going off tackle for the TD. You'd like to think opposing offenses would respect Mr. Pro Bowl run stuffing tackle. No hesitation running right at and through him by the Raiders. We are already well into the buyer's remorse phase on Dareus and we're probably going to get there on Hughes too. Let's not repeat it with Tyrod.

Good post Virgil...you have hit a good stride with the post game thoughts.

I agree with your assessments generally, but this game assured me that Rex doesn't have what it takes to call/game plan the right defense anymore. Yes the Raiders are good, but the defensive strategy of drop into coverage with little to no pass rush just doesn't make sense against this team. Especially when they were playing with replacements all over the secondary. Some heat on the QB would have helped them on the back end.

The puzzling and ineffective schemes have occurred far too often this season and last season. Rex was given the staff he wanted (even Brother Rob), and the "fully pregnant" result is no better.

I can't see how Rex gets another season if his defense doesn't finish very strong.

Rex's style of defense is outdated.

The Bills played a great first half by holding that vaunted Raider offense to just 3 FG's and by Tyrod throwing enough to get the offense scoring.

10 to 9 at the half and at the start of the half Shady had another big run and Tyrod ran for a TD and Gilllislee had a rushing TD. 24 to 9 the Bills looked dominant for a bit in the 3rd quarter ,,,and at some time after that, it all fell apart.

Rex Ryan doing his George Edwards impression by just rushing three and getting no pass rush on Carr. The secondary stinking it up allowed the Raiders 4 TD's and the offense suddenly stopped working.

I can't help but feel that there are times when half of the other NFL teams are so jealous of Tyrod in his elusiveness and running ability while hitting every receiver. Then in the same game, he goes into a shell and can't throw at all.

In regards to Rex Ryan and his inability to get the most out of several pro bowlers when the game is on the line is unsettling to me. Ryan has yet to show his defense can stop a QB with a winning record and this year was owned by the 3-8 Fitz.

The funny thing is you could tell Sammy was frustrated with Tyrod. On s couple of passes that were well overthrown or he was not even looked at, Sammy looked pissed. I'm thinking of the pass early in the game, the one where Tyrod didn't look to Sammy at all as he was streaking down the right sideline, and with 5 minutes left Tyrod completely overthrew Sammy for a TD. Sammy had no chance.

On the other side of things, people keep saying our defense sucked. It did. But when you keep going three and out on offense you do three things: 1) you tire out your defense by putting them back on the field 2) you give the other team more chances to score 3) you allow the other teams offense to stick to their gameplan and not pressure them into trying to make plays to keep up with the score. Our offense really didn't alleviate any pressure off our defense when we needed it most