Bills have signed Logan Thomas off Lions PS to convert to TE

YoloinOhio

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll play Negative Nancy on this one.

We only have 53 roster spots. They're precious. And we're giving one to a long-term project? To a guy who only decided to play TE this past weekend?

Don't forget some of the 53 are inactive game days.

Whatever happened to uhh the big te we had. Dreads. He was a beast. What was his name?!

The Marquis of Gray? 10 catches, 126 yards for the Phins this year. He's saving up his big game for Week 16 ...

... while I like the Logan Thomas signing, both these moves -- Thomas acquired and put on the active roster, Dez Lewis put on the active roster from the practice squad -- are the kind of moves teams that are rebuilding for next year make, not teams that are gearing up for a final quarter playoff drive. The Lions are doing the latter; that's why they tried to hide Thomas on their practice squad, realizing he couldn't give a playoff competitive team much as a TE this year. And activating Dez Lewis was probably as much about keeping him as Bills property for 2017 as it was about having him contribute this year. I guess realism is a virtue, but still, when you think about it, these moves are more deflating for 2016 than they are cause for optimism.

@mikegarafolo

How much do Bills believe Logan Thomas can go from QB to TE? He got a $75k signing bonus. Don't see that in Dec, esp for guy switching pos.

@MikeGarafolo @davebirkett did Lions release him?

@mikegarafolo

No, Bills pried him away. Other teams were bidding too. Lions gave him a sweet practice squad contract. Buf had to sweeten the pot.

Can we get him a different number please? I don't want to have any Ruvell Martin flashbacks

Josh Reed was my flashback. Remember this?

https://www.google.com/amp/buffalowdown.com/2012/07/15/former-bills-wr-josh-reed-trashes-buffalo-and-bills-fans-in-a-related-story-josh-reed-is-a-dick/amp/?client=safari

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Marquis of Gray? 10 catches, 126 yards for the Phins this year. He's saving up his big game for Week 16 ...

... while I like the Logan Thomas signing, both these moves -- Thomas acquired and put on the active roster, Dez Lewis put on the active roster from the practice squad -- are the kind of moves teams that are rebuilding for next year make, not teams that are gearing up for a final quarter playoff drive. The Lions are doing the latter; that's why they tried to hide Thomas on their practice squad, realizing he couldn't give a playoff competitive team much as a TE this year. And activating Dez Lewis was probably as much about keeping him as Bills property for 2017 as it was about having him contribute this year. I guess realism is a virtue, but still, when you think about it, these moves are more deflating for 2016 than they are cause for optimism.

Des Lewis was put in the active roster because they are running out of wide receivers healthy enough to play. No other option really. As for Thomas, this is certainly a move for future contribution but opportunistic and I like it. It is not too worrisome using an inactive spot on the 53 for this at this point in the season. They had to sign him to the active roster as he was already on Detroit's practice squad.

I'll play Negative Nancy on this one.

We only have 53 roster spots. They're precious. And we're giving one to a long-term project? To a guy who only decided to play TE this past weekend?

Why not we routinely waste one on a 2nd kicker

TE could be a option for EJ also. David Lee on with Murph said he's making good progress at QB, (not just hard count)

Ahhh David Lee. The guy that has 0 QBs developed.

lol. He didn't play TE in HS. That's the position many teams wanted him to play in college when they recruited him (instead of QB). Happens a lot. If the recruit is stuck on playing a certain position then they will go somewhere that convinces them they will give them the chance to do that.

Manziel comes to mind as an example.

No but he did play WR until his Junior Year. And was a top rated TE recruit. Also didn't really want to play QB in college

ON THE THE COACHES ASKING HIM TO PLAY QB AT TECH:

I remember it, because I thought that all the way up to the point they told me were going to try you out at quarterback that day before camp. I just kind of think back like, what? Because in the recruiting process I was like, any school who offers me to be a quarterback, Im not going there. I dont want to play quarterback. I want to play tight end or receiver. Then they got me on campus and moved me to quarterback and, I dont know. I guess its the best thing for me now.

http://m.roanoke.com/sports/mcfarlingtemp/logan-thomas----everything-you-wanted-to-know/article_2eea3a88-6182-5d06-99cb-c34026fb48d9.html?mode=jqm

That is interesting he didn't want to play QB. So likely the drive is there to make a successful transition.

Edited by MAJBobby

Heard the Bills got a heads up that a couple other teams were sniffing around Thomas. I'm guessing one of them was the Patriots.

thats the word based on report from yesterday that Bills gave him 75k SB to get him to sign here, with other teams trying to get him too. Wonder if TT being here played any part as well.

Interesting about Pats - good call.

caught a TD from tyrod in college by doing this. It's not difficult to get in front of someone and jump. I don't see why he couldn't do it now

eapecially when you consider teams will put defensive linemen and offensive linemen out there for the same purpose.... why not him as he's actually practicing at the position Edited by YoloinOhio