Bills have signed Logan Thomas off Lions PS to convert to TE

YoloinOhio

thats the word based on report from yesterday that Bills gave him 75k SB to get him to sign here, with other teams trying to get him too. Wonder if TT being here played any part as well.

Interesting about Pats - good call.

He fits the Patriots'*** mold for a TE, at least physically, and I could see them taking a flyer to get him into their system and see how good Brady could make him look.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the surface, this looks like a stupid move.

But me, personally? I'm intrigued. I think it's an outside the box-thinking type of move and it's a hell of a lot better than doing nothing.

GO BILLS!

thats the word based on report from yesterday that Bills gave him 75k SB to get him to sign here, with other teams trying to get him too. Wonder if TT being here played any part as well.

Interesting about Pats - good call.

How does it work claiming someone off another teams practice squad? Is it like waivers with a claim order? Is it first come first served? Is there a bidding process in a time window and he gets the option? I don't remember a situation like this before.

How does it work claiming someone off another teams practice squad? Is it like waivers with a claim order? Is it first come first served? Is there a bidding process in a time window and he gets the option? I don't remember a situation like this before.

It's like signing a street FA, other teams can also talk to the player. And sign him. However the signing can be Blocked if Losing team put him on Active Roster.

Also the signing team has to keep him on the active roster for a specific time cannot sign a PS player from one team just to put on your PS.

Another situation somewhat similar was when Bills got Chandler from Dallas they offered two of Dallas PS TEs contracts. Dallas elevated one of the two and Bills got Chandler

Edited by MAJBobby

the way I understand it... the current team has the option to sign the PS player to their 53 to prevent other teams from doing so. Bills reportedly did this with Ed Eagan a few weeks ago. If they don't, the player has the decision to sign with the interested team(s) on their 53 (guaranteed at least 3 game checks) or stay on current team PS. If more than one interested team, player and agent choose where they want to go. Money, fit, opportunity all come into play. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's like signing a street FA, other teams can also talk to the player. And sign him. However the signing can be Blocked if Losing team put him on Active Roster.

Also the signing team has to keep him on the active roster for a specific time cannot sign a PS player from one team just to put on your PS

Thanks, I'm glad they didn't put him on the active roster to hold onto him. I think it's an interesting experiment for us. As has been said, if he's active he could be dangerous on day 1 down in the red zone. With some time to work at the position? Who knows?

Yolo, fit and opportunity would seem to be a huge factor. Add in the signing bonus and we seem like a good landing place for him. (And the signing bonus doesn't hurt!)

Thanks, I'm glad they didn't put him on the active roster to hold onto him. I think it's an interesting experiment for us. As has been said, if he's active he could be dangerous on day 1 down in the red zone. With some time to work at the position? Who knows?

Yolo, fit and opportunity would seem to be a huge factor. Add in the signing bonus and we seem like a good landing place for him. (And the signing bonus doesn't hurt!)

probably looked at our crew of pass catchers and thought - hey I can play there! Lol

His path is interesting.

Coming out of Highschool didn't want to be a QB wanted to play TE or WR. Even on record saying any team that offered him as a QB he would ignore.

Got to VA Tech as a TE and before their first practice coaches switched him to QB.

Fast forward to draft time, 2014 teams told him he should switch to TE and they would be interested he said no I am a QB. Hurt him in the process but was drafted as a QB bounced around the league for 2.5 years as a QB.

Makes it known he will switch to TE by signing on Lions PS as a TE, 1 day later signed as a TE on Bills active roster.

So 6.5 years from Highschool he is back in the position he originally wanted to play coming out of HS.

Also makes me wonder with how fast the Bills jumped once it was known he was switching if they were one of the teams in his Ear in 2014 saying switch to TE.

I also remember Pats had him for a workout pre draft and had him doing TE drills not QB

Edited by MAJBobby

the way I understand it... the current team has the option to sign the PS player to their 53 to prevent other teams from doing so. Bills reportedly did this with Ed Eagan a few weeks ago. If they don't, the player has the decision to sign with the interested team(s) on their 53 (guaranteed at least 3 game checks) or stay on current team PS. If more than one interested team, player and agent choose where they want to go. Money, fit, opportunity all come into play.

This is correct. A claimed PS player must be placed on the active roster of his current team or be lost to the claiming team who then must place him on their active roster.

caught a TD from tyrod in college by doing this. It's not difficult to get in front of someone and jump. I don't see why he couldn't do it now

He has he played WR in Highschool also didn't even want to play QB in college wanted to play TE or WR

I meant in the NFL..

If it's that easy, why did we have to wait to get this guy to do this? And why hasn't he been doing it before now?

I am irrationally excited about this. Logan Thomas is the perfect project. He has loads of physical talent; he was once thought to be a future 1st overall pick. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but it is exciting nonetheless. IF (giant IF) you could ever harness Thomas' athleticism you may have found a contributor at a position of need. He is 6'6" and 260 lbs already!! He ran the fastest 40, longest broad jump and had the highest vertical of any QB in his draft class. Thomas is a great athlete.

I agree with all this. I love this move. We are so far behind on TEs. Qbs seem to transition well to TEs and there is a good history. We also should kick all the tires on undersized college PFs as well.

Worst Comes to worst, we have a decent emergency qb.

I agree with all this. I love this move. We are so far behind on TEs. Qbs seem to transition well to TEs and there is a good history. We also should kick all the tires on undersized college PFs as well.

Worst Comes to worst, we have a decent emergency qb.

It is amazing how hard it has been for the Bills to find a TE. I don't think that the Bills have ever had a TE make a Pro Bowl appearance. That's crazy and almost statistically impossible. I don't know if Thomas will amount to anything but I'm glad that they are trying on him.

I meant in the NFL..

If it's that easy, why did we have to wait to get this guy to do this? And why hasn't he been doing it before now?

I don't know ask the QB and OC why they would rather run the option instead of their QB throwing back shoulder fades

I don't know ask the QB and OC why they would rather run the option instead of their QB throwing back shoulder fades

It's working? Without oversimplifying it why would you throw a back shoulder fade when you can run it in? You get the same amount of points either way so why wouldn't you do what you do best? Why would anyone complain about this? https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's working? Without oversimplifying it why would you throw a back shoulder fade when you can run it in? You get the same amount of point either way so why wouldn't you do what you do best? Why would anyone complain about this? https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Did you see what my comment was in reponse to. Guess not

Did you see what my comment was in reponse to. Guess not

It was a little vague in that WEO asked 2 questions, 1 about the Bills O and 1 about Logan Thomas. I apologize if I misinterpreted it but it was not clear which of the 2 you were responding to. I shouldn't have assumed but it wasn't clear.

It was a little vague in that WEO asked 2 questions, 1 about the Bills O and 1 about Logan Thomas. I apologize if I misinterpreted it but it was not clear which of the 2 you were responding to. I shouldn't have assumed but it wasn't clear.

Yeah in response to if it is so easy why did it take this guy before we started doing it.

Yeah in response to if it is so easy why did it take this guy before we started doing it.

Ohio State did it with Pryor at least once. In theory it does feel like it wouldn't be that hard. Thomas is 6'6" with a 35 inch vertical. The guy covering him is probably about 6'. That physical mismatch should benefit at least in the red zone where there is less space to operate. I hope that they can develop Thomas.

Players have a right to decide to sign offer or not; players do not need to leave practice squad and sometimes will not because they either like where they are (often younger players with family in area) or because they seem prospects of being on current active roster following year.