SHERMAN NOW THE VICTIM

I don't think "thug" is the racially motivated term in what she said (though it is true that I am unexposed to any additional inferences that word may have that relate directly to American social history) the racially motivated bit is the comparison to an animal.

I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was simply a clumsy, unthinking, use of language from someone who was in the heat of the moment dealing with the prospect of a loved one suffering serious pain and if she has since amended her tweet then I afford her that benefit. Intentional or not though, you liken an African American individual to an animal you cannot have too many complaints when people label you a racist.

I don't think "thug" is the racially motivated term in what she said (though it is true that I am unexposed to any additional inferences that word may have that relate directly to American social history) the racially motivated bit is the comparison to an animal.

I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was simply a clumsy, unthinking, use of language from someone who was in the heat of the moment dealing with the prospect of a loved one suffering serious pain and if she has since amended her tweet then I afford her that benefit. Intentional or not though, you liken an African American individual to an animal you cannot have too many complaints when people label you a racist.

Yeah as a white person you have to be cognizant of it and avoid such references.

In defense of her though calling an ill behaved man an "animal" is such a common go-to for women that it seems almost like an involuntary female reaction. Women of all color do it about men of all color. Why? I think the intention is to cut deep........and perhaps it would be much more effective on another female?...... but it has little or no impact on men whatsoever. It's an utterly discounted insult.

Nine weeks deep into the season and here we are discussing the careful and precision craft of testicle removal.

GO BILLS !

And we elected trump too.

Coincidence ?

Sherman is a crafty man. I am not going to get into the psychology. But jboys was not far off. Although i do not want him on MY team.

I recently heralded his intelligence here. But even the highest intelligence quotient does not make up for an malicious bent in personality..

The best serial killers never get caught. Because they know the game better than the ones trying to catch them.

Yes, i just made that comparison Mr Sherman. Autism gone awry.

Thug does not nearly describe a carefully calculated approach to the environment he lives in. She short changed him !

Nine weeks deep into the season and here we are discussing the careful and precision craft of testicle removal.

GO BILLS !

Why not? It follows last week's discussion of a well placed device in the end-zone.

And we elected trump too.

Coincidence ?

Sherman is a crafty man. I am not going to get into the psychology. But jboys was not far off. Although i do not want him on MY team.

I recently heralded his intelligence here. But even the highest intelligence quotient does not make up for an malicious bent in personality..

The best serial killers never get caught. Because they know the game better than the ones trying to catch them.

Yes, i just made that comparison Mr Sherman. Autism gone awry.

Thug does not nearly describe a carefully calculated approach to the environment he lives in. She ( Mrs Carpenter )short changed him ! and it was very poorly spun as racist. shame on that media outlet

So she apologizes, didn't need to, and he is a prick about it??? I still do not see how racism had anything to do with this. I think HE is racist for "bringing up" racism.

If you say anything these days, someone, somewhere will find something in what you said that COULD be like 0.01% chance of being racist and then run with it. So sad.

So she apologizes, didn't need to, and he is a prick about it??? I still do not see how racism had anything to do with this. I think HE is racist for "bringing up" racism.

If you say anything these days, someone, somewhere will find something in what you said that COULD be like 0.01% chance of being racist and then run with it. So sad.

He is playing it for al it is worth. The thing he mentioned, if she said that to my Family....

Okay tough guy.

That's enough! Borderline threat by him , if we are going to play that game.

Pick a better battle than calling a black guy an animal that should be castrated as the ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN BE TWISTED argument

Pick a better battle than calling a black guy an animal that should be castrated as the ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN BE TWISTED argument

I just don't agree here and i always respect your POV.

But i think one has to reach a good bit to get there.

Why does anyone think when speaking of a farm animal (beast ) Bible) one thinks black??

this stuff amazes me. I am not religious and hardly prejudiced. I just do not get the " pick the ball up and run with it" on Ms Carpenters extreme comment. She was pissed. so what? I am too. The play was BS and filthy.

he should be fined twice for that game. damn the rules.

where is Johnny Scissor hands when i need him

What was racist about it????

Nothing. The racist argument is being used to distract and steer discussion away from the root of the story. In this case that Sherman is a douche bag thug who hit Carpenter with what looked like intent to injure. And ESPN doesn't have the balls to call it like it is at this point so maybe her comment hit a sore spot with the network.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Nothing. The racist argument is being used to distract and steer discussion away from the root of the story. In this case that Sherman is a douche bag thug who hit Carpenter with what looked like intent to injure. And ESPN doesn't have the balls to call it like it is at this point so maybe her comment hit a sore spot with the network.

You just inadvertently summed up why Trump is president.

Thug wrong word to use. Connotes racism. Castrate however does not. He was acting like an a$$, was provocative and drew a reaction. I know some would say indifference is the best way to deal with the likes of Mr. Sherman but I liked her tweet.

I just don't agree here and i always respect your POV.

But i think one has to reach a good bit to get there.

Why does anyone think when speaking of a farm animal (beast ) Bible) one thinks black??

this stuff amazes me. I am not religious and hardly prejudiced. I just do not get the " pick the ball up and run with it" on Ms Carpenters extreme comment. She was pissed. so what? I am too. The play was BS and filthy.

he should be fined twice for that game. damn the rules.

where is Johnny Scissor hands when i need him

i dont jump straight to that, and you dont... but its pretty standard issue rhetoric used amongst people that arent as good as us. Theres a lot of racial insults that i would never jump to thinking race with but acknowledge that based on the realities of the world out there that i probably shouldnt say them, especially if i dont want to be associated with that crowd. if there are people that want to fight the fight to be able to call dudes animals regardless of race... have at it, i guess, but i feel like there are better places to be pushing back. Edited by NoSaint

ESPN now having a little pity party for Richie the thug Sherman

Only on the most liberal pos network in the world could any of last night be twisted into sobbing for Richie the thug. Now turning Carps wife into a racist for her tweet after a thug who can't control his rage gets called out for not controlling his rage

WOW

That's why I haven't watched ESPN in about five years. It has become a deplorable, PC-laden network with no balls at all. Imagine a bunch of old white guys talking about current sports leagues...they have already had done what Carpenter's wife suggested!

That's why I haven't watched ESPN in about five years. It has become a deplorable, PC-laden network with no balls at all. Imagine a bunch of old white guys talking about current sports leagues...they have already had done what Carpenter's wife suggested!

meh. i know a lot of pretty awesome old white guys that generally dont run afoul of offending people and talk circles around most people with regards to sports.

Good post. There's no doubt that racism still exists in America in conscious and unconscious ways. But not every anti-black person statement by a white person is racist. I suspect Carp's wife would have posted the same remarks if the player who hit her husband - and then demonstrated such a nonchalant attitude about it - was white. It's reasonable to believe she's just mad her husband was hurt and his career threatened on a dirty play; and that race played no part in her tweet. She deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The evolution of the word "thug" is interesting. Originally. "thugs" were members of a criminal organization in India. Members liked to win the confidence of travelers, join their caravans, then kill their target by strangulation in order to rob them. The word originally meant something like "deceiver." The term changed to describe a criminal with violent tendencies or anyone who likes to pose and posture as if the threat of violence is real. Now some are saying the term has racial overtones - and there is a real problem there - though many still use the term without any anti-black bias.

Despite Sherman's Stanford education, I can see how someone would call him a thug in a colloquial way after watching that play. Given the recently-evolved racial bias of the term, I can see why others would object. I try not to use the word any more but don't damn those who do.

She deserves it for apologizing. That's what's wrong with society today. Don't say it if you don't mean it. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Good post. There's no doubt that racism still exists in America in conscious and unconscious ways. But not every anti-black person statement by a white person is racist. I suspect Carp's wife would have posted the same remarks if the player who hit her husband - and then demonstrated such a nonchalant attitude about it - was white. It's reasonable to believe she's just mad her husband was hurt and his career threatened on a dirty play; and that race played no part in her tweet. She deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The evolution of the word "thug" is interesting. Originally. "thugs" were members of a criminal organization in India. Members liked to win the confidence of travelers, join their caravans, then kill their target by strangulation in order to rob them. The word originally meant something like "deceiver." The term changed to describe a criminal with violent tendencies or anyone who likes to pose and posture as if the threat of violence is real. Now some are saying the term has racial overtones - and there is a real problem there - though many still use the term without any anti-black bias.

Despite Sherman's Stanford education, I can see how someone would call him a thug in a colloquial way after watching that play. Given the recently-evolved racial bias of the term, I can see why others would object. I try not to use the word any more but don't damn those who do.

A post like this reminds me of why i enjoy and appreciate this sight. And some of the Participators especially so.

Such as you. You must be the Folks No Saint had mentioned upstream !

The language and use of, has changed and changes more quickly then ever before.

I am feel confident it was not a racist comment and I am saddened it was spun that way.

Does the media desire to fuel the division of race or color?

She deserves it for apologizing. That's what's wrong with society today. Don't say it if you don't mean it.

It was likely. strongly suggested she do. I would bet a silver dime she meant it , and still does

So seriously what does "thug" mean in America? Because in the UK thug has no racial overtones whatsoever. Football hooligans for example who are overwhelmingly white are referred to as thugs routinely. I'm not trying to stir up by the way I am really asking. I feel like I am missing something.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that on this team of "bullies" the strongest reaction to Sherman being an idiot came from the kickers wife?

That is the only one you have heard about. How about Rex getting in his sheet. Our Head Coach called him out during the game. Seems like thats plenty.

I think you see what the media has fed you the most of.

You know about Richie flipping on Gilmore in the locker room right? fr Exchanging jerseys?

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that on this team of "bullies" the strongest reaction to Sherman being an idiot came from the kickers wife?

And i would hardly find it hilarious regardless. So hopefully yes. it IS just you

That is the only one you have heard about. How about Rex getting in his sheet. Our Head Coach called him out during the game. Seems like thats plenty.

I think you see what the media has fed you the most of.

You know about Richie flipping on Gilmore in the locker room right? fr Exchanging jerseys?

And i would hardly find it hilarious regardless. So hopefully yes. it IS just you

Well I didn't see anyone get in his face immediately after the play. It would have been a better fifteen yard foul than most of Jerry Hughes'. I don't care what Incognito does in the locker room. That doesn't prove to the opposition that this team won't be pushed around. Plus who knows what Rex and Sherman were jawing about. No one cares if Rex gets in their face, we needed our guys to immediately get in Shermans face.

Well I didn't see anyone get in his face immediately after the play. It would have been a better fifteen yard foul than most of Jerry Hughes'. I don't care what Incognito does in the locker room. That doesn't prove to the opposition that this team won't be pushed around. Plus who knows what Rex and Sherman were jawing about. No one cares if Rex gets in their face, we needed our guys to immediately get in Shermans face.

I do get what you are saying.

But I think the play on the field is where you bully a team. There was a note by Sal M ( I know) thats suggested Richie might have had his best game this year. He was brutalizing the defense especially when pulling.

we have often seen R Woods blocking as is his life depended on it.

Kyle Williams left it all on the field. The drama that has nothing to do with game play is actually not for me.

I am glad Bills had no BS penalties, because Bills are always going to lose those and we just have to face that.

Hughes was always called. but he was getting mugged all game for years because no one could stop him. SO he used to get pissed after enough hands to the his throat and stuff.

These gts know how to hurt them where the refs dont see and neither do we unless we all-22 and such.

I hardly think Bills laid down against those filth laden sea birds.

Please take no offense with me.

I just cannot see Bills not getting the unfavorable penalty every time. I would rather see them bring it, under the radar.