Positional Needs For DraftTek - Astro

Astrobot

I don't understand your point?

Are you suggesting that an elite runner is more important than a geat offensive line? If that is the case, then we disagree.

If your point is simply that the Bills suck when they can't run the ball, then yes I completely agree. It has been proven more than once over the last couple years.

Point is, Gillislee or Williams aren't going to carry THIS team. Whatever the quality of this offensive line is, it's good enough for McCoy to be effective, but not good enough for the others. You will watch it with thine own eyes.

Point is, this isn't a team with a QB that can carry the offense, so it's gotta come from the RB's.

Another top prospect RB (a 3rd Rd or higher prospect)? Great.

More O-line talent? Great.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think Preston Brown is below average as a starter who are the 20 or so MLBs that you have ahead of him? With the amount of teams playing 3-4 there are probably 40 or so starting inside backers. To be "below average" I am just curious to know who the 20 are.

Hes probably the 4th best on our roster alone. It's debatable between him and Spikes who obviously gets a bad rap for pass coverage. Id take Spikes on non passing downs every day of the week. And of course I've stated Zach and Ragland should be our starters

Hes probably the 4th best on our roster alone. It's debatable between him and Spikes who obviously gets a bad rap for pass coverage. Id take Spikes on non passing downs every day of the week. And of course I've stated Zach and Ragland should be our starters

You think that Brandon Spikes is a better LB than Preston Brown? We disagree then and I don't see us coming any closer to an agreement. Inside LB isn't a spot of need on the Bills IMO, and neither is edge rusher.

The Bills lose one game (after 4 straight wins) and everyone on the team can be upgraded but center and punter. We really just don't see eye-to-eye on this in the salary cap era.

That's your opinion then. I said it was close because Spikes has a weakness in coverage skills. But Spikes takes on blockers and blows them up. Preston curls up like a baby and sucks his thumb. At the very best Preston is our 3rd best ILB (barely, you can make an argument for 4th). How is edge rusher not a need with Alexander going? Hes not going to lead the league in sacks and then sign for the vet min again. We have one of the highest paid players on the team in Hughes and a 1st rounder in Shaq. They don't want to invest more money in the position. He does play special teams so that's a consideration but they will want to go for someone cheap

Edited by kdiggz

Good breakdown. Agree with everything. Mike Williams is the target in the 1st IMO.

I guess it all depends where we end up picking...I'm OK with Williams certainly...But I like the USC kid A LOT...

I know Smith-Schuster had some issues with the Alabama CB's...And started slow this year...So he's going to need some work...But that kid is dynamic...To me he jumps off the screen... B-)

Good point. I'm moving TE up. P2 or P3 would still net a TE in this draft. Ones I like for Buffalo roles:

O.J. Howard, Alabama

Jake Butt, Michigan

Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas

Jordan Leggett, Clemson

Cole Hikutini, Louisville

Wyatt Houston, Utah State

Brandon Lingen, Minnesota

Not sold on Engram as a TE because he's light, but he'd make a pretty good crossover WR-TE hybrid.

I'm getting enough feedback about CB that I'm changing CB, as well. I think we have somebody in Kevon Seymour but if a 6'0", 4.4 corner is value at any pick, you know Whaley will pounce.

any thoughts on TE Orndoff from Pitt? Whaley might be a fan.

Safety is biggest need. But I want that thru FA especially if we lose Gilmore. Anyone got a list of FA safe toes?

WR I would be happy to wait until second, because I go by BPA.

P1 wr

P2 cb/s

P2 rt

P3 qb

P3 ilb

FREE SAFETIES UNDER 29

Bradley McDougald FS 25 TB TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Jordan Poyer FS 25 CLE TBD $555,064 UFA -
Don Jones FS 26 HOU TBD $675,000 UFA -
Duke Williams FS 26 BUF TBD $657,563 UFA -
Eric Berry FS 27 KC TBD $10,806,000 UFA Market Value
Christopher Conte FS 27 TB TBD $3,000,000 UFA -
J.J. Wilcox FS 27 DAL TBD $702,767 UFA -
Michael Thomas FS 27 MIA TBD $675,000 UFA -
Nate Allen FS 28 OAK TBD $3,000,000 UFA -
Darian Stewart FS 28 DEN TBD $2,125,000 UFA -
Rafael Bush FS 29 DET TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
STRONG SAFETIES UNDER 29
Tony Jefferson SS 24 ARI TBD $1,671,000 UFA Market Value
Matt Elam SS 25 BAL TBD $1,691,751 UFA -
D.J. Swearinger SS 25 ARI TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
T.J. McDonald SS 25 LA TBD $731,570 UFA -
Duron Harmon SS 25 NE TBD $677,775 UFA -
Shamarko Thomas SS 25 PIT TBD $653,288 UFA -
Micah Hyde SS 25 GB TBD $584,527 UFA -
Kemal Ishmael SS 25 ATL TBD $551,474 UFA -
Daimion Stafford SS 25 TEN TBD $551,474 UFA -
Jahleel Addae SS 26 SD TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
John Cyprien SS 26 JAC TBD $1,367,276 UFA -
Robert Blanton SS 27 BUF TBD $840,000 UFA -
Brynden Trawick SS 27 OAK TBD $825,000 UFA -
Duke Ihenacho SS 27 WAS TBD $675,000 UFA -
Barry Church SS 28 DAL TBD $2,206,750 UFA -
Kelcie McCray SS 28 SEA TBD $717,500 UFA -

This is Astro, the guy who writes Astro-Notes from training camp. I'm the Bills' Analyst for DraftTek. I submit weekly team needs to DraftTek, and our computer selects players fitting those needs from our Big Board, which tracks 450 college players.

I need your input for upcoming mocks. These are posted pre-dawn on Thursdays. Here's the way positional needs are right now:

P1 (Can only have one P1 position)===>WR.

We're on fumes here. Goodwin's catch percentage is <35%, Woods is an above average WR and a willing downfield blocker, and Watkins can't show it while riding pine. Powell isn't doing what he's supposed to, Tate's now more of a KR-PR than WR, and Justin Hunter is...tall. I'd prefer a tall WR who gets in and out of breaks quickly. I have a "Multiple" on WR, so the computer may select a second WR if the value is there on Day 3.

P2 (Can have more than one P2, and computer selects the one with least "reach")===> NT, S, OT, OG.

Rex needs a true nose tackle because Dareus CAN play the position well, but he's more of the 3-tech DT in a 4-3 alignment. Right now, he's nothing because he's not in there, and the Bills lost the Fins game because their OL got to our LBs. Aaron Williams may be done, and the next best S on PFF's Premium Stats isn't even in the top 50. Offensive line depth still isn't reliable, although Kujo and Groy look passable enough to drop this to P3.

P3====>TE.

Clay has caught 5 balls in 4 of the last 5 games, but wasn't a factor in the Fins loss. O'Leary, 2-time Mackey Award-winner, is getting into the rhythm of this offense and beginning to produce, but the Bills need a TE who can block and catch equally well. Dray was cut because he signaled run.

P4====>RB, OC, EDGE, CB.

These are typically Day 3 selections, and could be P6's. Bills have a twice-injured McCoy, a washed-up Bush (that didn't sound right), TD Mike (possibly the best of the bunch--he's 4th in YPC in the NFL), and Jon Williams, who may be okay if he holds onto the ball. The Bills tried to find a backup OC but Velasco didn't work. They likely need a big strong smart Center to handle the division's big NT's and 3-techs. Wood is a smart finesse OC but groom his successor now. EDGE is listed on FanSpeak as a need, and they'd have this position as a P3 or even P2. We have guys PLAYING EDGE in Rex's D who elsewhere are OLB34, DE, or 3-tech DT (Lawson, Douzable, Alexander, Washington, McCray). You can help me decide where EDGE goes.

P6====>QB, 3-tech, OLB.

I'm happy with Tyrod for the most part, and EJ's a decent backup. Cardale is still learning but has size, arm strength, better anticipation than either of the others, and a winning history. 3-tech is one of our strengths, but Rex always drafts them. Shaq's being designated as a OLB34 in our scheme, and so is Hughes.

P9====>Speed WR, CB, 5-tech, ILB.

We have Goodwin, Eagan, Listenbee for Speed WR, all with 4.3 speed, so we have the downfield threat sewed up. Whaley likes him some CB and says he'll draft one every year but Darby-Gilmore (with Kevon Seymour in the wings) combine for one of the top 2 CB tandems on PFF, NFLSavant, and other evaluation services. We can have the conversation about Gilmore's contract if you like, in which case this vaults way up. 5-tech is a major strength, as is ILB. DraftTek ranks Kickers but they just aren't drafted (exception: Aguayo, who's struggled).

Let me know if you'd change any of these ratings, and we'll see what gets drafted in our mock as a result.

Astro

Sadly, when only looking at the positions, it looks like it is from 2013, give or take a year.

Point is, Gillislee or Williams aren't going to carry THIS team. Whatever the quality of this offensive line is, it's good enough for McCoy to be effective, but not good enough for the others. You will watch it with thine own eyes.

Point is, this isn't a team with a QB that can carry the offense, so it's gotta come from the RB's.

Another top prospect RB (a 3rd Rd or higher prospect)? Great.

More O-line talent? Great.

We are going to see today.....I think your wrong

Working on the proviso of no tags being placed or deals being announced in the meantime, my needs are these:

Starting CB

Starting WR

Starting RT

FS (depends on Aaron, goes above RT if he retires)

Backup QB

Rotational NT

Slot/backup WR

Rotational Pass Rusher

Backup TE

Swing IOL

Backup RB

Safety and CB. Wr and TE next uo

Working on the proviso of no tags being placed or deals being announced in the meantime, my needs are these:

Starting CB

Starting WR

Starting RT

FS (depends on Aaron, goes above RT if he retires)

Backup QB

Rotational NT

Slot/backup WR

Rotational Pass Rusher

Backup TE

Swing IOL

Backup RB

Aaron Williams career is over. We NEED a safety that doesn't suck

QB

WR

RB

RT