The AFC Playoff Picture

I've been rooting against perceived threats all season haha.

Denver losing was awesome.

Cinci losing sucked if we still have hope for the division, but good for the wildcard. (Remember if we beat NE in two weeks, we hold the tie breaker and just have to tie their record for the division - However I don't see them losing 5-6 games their remaining schedule is cake now)

Houston winning might be good, I don't think they have 10-11 games in them, so beating up their division helps.

Miami winning was amazing!

KC vs Oakland has to play out more before we know what we want.

Edit:

Next week:

Bills @ Dolphins We need to win obviously.

Saints @ Chiefs We need the Saints to beat the Chiefs

Colts @ Titans Titans aren't going anywhere, we want them to beat up the colts.

Browns @ Bengals We want the Browns to win, however unlikely.

Raiders @ Jaguars For godsakes Bortles win this game!

Ravens @ Jets Depending on tonights MNF game, I think we may want the Jets to win this.

Patriots @ Steelers A bit complicated. We want the Patriots to lose.....but it may bite us if they do. (I don't think the Steelers win without Roethlisberger anyway)

Texans @ Broncos Another complicated one. Still unclear if a win for either will come back to bite us in December.

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this in another thread. Tyrod refuses to stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball AND take a hit. I noticed it a ton yesterday at the SF game. There were throws that could have been made yesterday, to receivers he saw, if he would just be willing to take a hit here or there. It is not so much he is skittish, or quick to run, or phantom pressure. He is affraid of the contact in the pocket, or at least refuses to take it. I am not asking him to stand in a take a beating, But on a 20 yard post, you have to sometimes take a lick for that play.

Granted maybe he gets hurt, and a healthy Tyrod is easily better than no TT at all.

Why do you blame Tyrod for not doing what a pure pocket passing quarterback would do when you know Tyrod Taylor is not a traditional pocket passing quarterback?

His strength is not standing in the pocket picking apart secondaries with precise throws. His skill is moving around in the backfield avoiding sacks while enough time elapses for a receiver to get great separation. His skill is also recognizing when he has a chance to make a big play with his legs and then also making that big play which he has done many times. Those things completely frustrate the defense because the defenders know they can't cover receivers for that long and they also know it is really hard to defend against a quarterback with the running skills Tyrod has.

You need to give up on wishing that Tyrod would fit your mold of a pure pocket passer. That isn't how he is built. That isn't how he wins games.

Why do you blame Tyrod for not doing what a pure pocket passing quarterback would do when you know Tyrod Taylor is not a traditional pocket passing quarterback?

His strength is not standing in the pocket picking apart secondaries with precise throws. His skill is moving around in the backfield avoiding sacks while enough time elapses for a receiver to get great separation. His skill is also recognizing when he has a chance to make a big play with his legs and then also making that big play which he has done many times. Those things completely frustrate the defense because the defenders know they can't cover receivers for that long and they also know it is really hard to defend against a quarterback with the running skills Tyrod has.

You need to give up on wishing that Tyrod would fit your mold of a pure pocket passer. That isn't how he is built. That isn't how he wins games.

I am mad he doesn't do it, when the play is available, and he scrambles out of bounds, or scrambles for drastically less yards that the completition would be. I don't think he should always stay in the pocket. I am mad that he doesn't deliver the ball when the receiver is open, because he doesn't take a hit. There are times he buys more time with his legs, and there isn't a throw to be made. There are times, he bails on available throws instead of throwing the football.

"I am not asking him to be a pure pocket passer". Because of his ability with his legs, he has has a skill set to be an opportunistic QB. If he has the opportunity to throw to an open receiver, and it means he takes a hit, he needs to do that as an NFL QB. If there is space to go, he needs to go. There are a lot of times, he uses his legs, when there isn't an opportunity for gains, and there is if he would throw the ball, regardless of what category he falls under as a "passer".

Do any of the football websites keep a yards-per-dropback stat? I think it would be interesting to see how TT compares to traditional pocket quarterbacks.

Tyrod is not as accurate as I'd like him to be. But when other QBs are getting sacked or throwing the ball away, Tyrod is often off and running, turning a negative play into a positive one. How does it all balance out?

We've won 4 straight without a highly productive passing game - with TT just as he is. I think we have a real chance to make the playoffs this year.

I am mad he doesn't do it, when the play is available, and he scrambles out of bounds, or scrambles for drastically less yards that the completition would be. I don't think he should always stay in the pocket. I am mad that he doesn't deliver the ball when the receiver is open, because he doesn't take a hit. There are times he buys more time with his legs, and there isn't a throw to be made. There are times, he bails on available throws instead of throwing the football.

"I am not asking him to be a pure pocket passer". Because of his ability with his legs, he has has a skill set to be an opportunistic QB. If he has the opportunity to throw to an open receiver, and it means he takes a hit, he needs to do that as an NFL QB. If there is space to go, he needs to go. There are a lot of times, he uses his legs, when there isn't an opportunity for gains, and there is if he would throw the ball, regardless of what category he falls under as a "passer".

It's weird that you think that. First off, I don't ever see him bailing out because of a fear of getting hit. If anything, he does the opposite. Secondly, you say it as it's a bad thing if he were to do it. I'd be happy if he gave up on a play in a week 5 game in the middle of the first quarter instead of taking an unnecessary collision. If he gets injured, the Bills season is done.

How do you feel when you see guys like Rivers and Manning throw the ball into the ground and ending a play to avoid contact?

Edited by QB Bills

Point well made. You could almost argue that it was worth losing to lose Roman. Kinda hated his play calling.

That is the probably with coaches being fired - they get paid to not work. NFL should allow teams to demote coaches where they still get paid but have to do other work (break down game film, etc) but are free to leave without pay or to take another job team demoting them not having to pay anymore.

That is the probably with coaches being fired - they get paid to not work. NFL should allow teams to demote coaches where they still get paid but have to do other work (break down game film, etc) but are free to leave without pay or to take another job team demoting them not having to pay anymore.

The NFL has no rules regarding demotion of a coach, but I think most coaches get fired because they are part of the problem and retaining them would continue to hold the team back. I mean, if the argument here is that Roman is a good designer of plays, and that's all we need from him, well then we don't need him anymore because we have the playbook. And we're not even using half of it yet.

But it is a similar issue as far as guaranteed contracts go with players, coaches just aren't subject to any sort of cap. I think it would make more sense for the contracts not to be guaranteed, but to have some sort of severence pay since a coach fired midseason could not easily find a gig until the start of the next season.

Edited by Big C

They really need to win at least 10, having 3 NFL wins.

6-4 the rest of the way. I can find 6 wins, but it will require winning a few tough games, and also clean up against lesser teams

They need to put away weaker teams. They can't let teams like the 49ers hang in with them till end of the 3rd quarter. You will not get such a reprieve with the Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks who are all lining up on the schedule for the upcoming weeks. Plus they are 1-2 in the conference whereas teams such as Oakland, Houston and the Chiefs alreayd have 3 wins in the conference.

They need to put away weaker teams. They can't let teams like the 49ers hang in with them till end of the 3rd quarter. You will not get such a reprieve with the Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks who are all lining up on the schedule for the upcoming weeks. Plus they are 1-2 in the conference whereas teams such as Oakland, Houston and the Chiefs alreayd have 3 wins in the conference.

You know that our last 4 games we've won by 15, 16, 11, and 29 points respectively, right? 4 straight double digit wins and you're worried about us putting teams away?

You know that our last 4 games we've won by 15, 16, 11, and 29 points respectively, right? 4 straight double digit wins and you're worried about us putting teams away?

The final score against the 49ers might have been 29 points. But it was a pretty close game until end of the 3rd quarter and could have gone either way. If the 49ers make that 4th down at the Bills 40yard line, they may have scored and taken the lead.

The final score against the 49ers might have been 29 points. But it was a pretty close game until end of the 3rd quarter and could have gone either way. If the 49ers make that 4th down at the Bills 40yard line, they may have scored and taken the lead.

And if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. It burns me up when fans say things like this. In a year in which there have already been more games decided by 6 pts or less than ever, the Bills are beating folks by double digits. It takes four quarters for a game to be played.

Never mind that, the game was tied 0-0 for a bit at the beginning. Wake up, Bills.

And if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. It burns me up when fans say things like this. In a year in which there have already been more games decided by 6 pts or less than ever, the Bills are beating folks by double digits. It takes four quarters for a game to be played.

Both of our losses were by one score.

All four of our wins were by multiple scores.

Look at me painting an optimistic picture ;)

People are so hung up on what they think is the ideal QB while ignoring what TT is doing to opposing defenses. How many Bills drives result in points? More than you realize.

I remember when we used to say that about the Bills to make us feel better after a loss.

People are so hung up on what they think is the ideal QB while ignoring what TT is doing to opposing defenses. How many Bills drives result in points? More than you realize.

We are:

18th in score per drive percentage

24thT in plays per drive

21stT in yards per drive

2nd in turnover percentage (2nd least)

20th in time per drive

14th in points per drive

We aren't great at sustaining drives, but when we do get going, we score touchdowns... and at least we don't turn the ball over very often. We definitely, as a whole, have room to improve offensively at least when it comes to sustaining drives and giving our defense a rest.

We are:

18th in score per drive percentage

24thT in plays per drive

21stT in yards per drive

2nd in turnover percentage (2nd least)

20th in time per drive

14th in points per drive

We aren't great at sustaining drives, but when we do get going, we score touchdowns... and at least we don't turn the ball over very often. We definitely, as a whole, have room to improve offensively at least when it comes to sustaining drives and giving our defense a rest.

Over the last three games the Bills are 19/40 (47.5%) on 3rd down, which has brought their overall conversion rate to 38.1% following a 10/33 start. If they can keep up their current rate they'd be top 5 for certain (leader is GB at 49.3%).