Fox PBP man Dick Stockton--worst announcer ever?

Big Turk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it wasn't a tight play-by-play, but as someone said earlier, I prefer a very qualified play by play guy with good voice and everything Stockton does well, and willing to deal with the few errors in the mean time. Allows some unexpected entertainment, and if you know anything about football, you're not thrown off by it, or confused. Unlike Wilcots who may not say the wrong word, but is just TERRIBLE to listen to. He is probably in his 70s, so let's not act like he's not still doing very well to converse and play-by-play for 3 hours straight. He was fine...

I know it wasn't a tight play-by-play, but as someone said earlier, I prefer a very qualified play by play guy with good voice and everything Stockton does well, and willing to deal with the few errors in the mean time. Allows some unexpected entertainment, and if you know anything about football, you're not thrown off by it, or confused. Unlike Wilcots who may not say the wrong word, but is just TERRIBLE to listen to. He is probably in his 70s, so let's not act like he's not still doing very well to converse and play-by-play for 3 hours straight. He was fine...

a few?? Try more like 15-20...that is way, way too many. It was like amateur hour.

i cut him some slack. BFD on the details he is still a good PBP guy IMHO.

maybe i am jaded because of late chicago cubs broadcaster harry carray who went (easily) 5 years past when he should have retired. because fans turned him into a legend he was allowed to slobber and drunkenly stumble his way through his last games.

i cut him some slack. BFD on the details he is still a good PBP guy IMHO.

maybe i am jaded because of late chicago cubs broadcaster harry carray who went (easily) 5 years past when he should have retired. because fans turned him into a legend he was allowed to slobber and drunkenly stumble his way through his last games.

I cut him major slack. He's been good throughout his career. But damn, he looks and sounds his age.

He was bad on both details and play-by-play. That's a heavy lift for any listener, especially w/ Dielh by his side.

I know it wasn't a tight play-by-play, but as someone said earlier, I prefer a very qualified play by play guy with good voice and everything Stockton does well, and

willing to deal with the few errors in the mean time. Allows some unexpected entertainment, and if you know anything about football, you're not thrown off by

it, or confused. Unlike Wilcots who may not say the wrong word, but is just TERRIBLE to listen to. He is probably in his 70s, so let's not act like he's not still doing very well to converse and play-by-play for 3 hours straight. He was

fine...

Exactly. Thank you.

The worst ever was Dan Dierdorf, I'm so glad he's retired as he was awful calling Bills games.

Drink every time he said "Nanosecond" and your BAC would be 3x the legal limit by halftime.

Kevin Burkhart and John Lynch are my favorite duo. Of course I am biased as I miss Kevin immensely with his work he did for SNY with Met games.