IR QUESTION Sammy or S.Lawson

Protocal69

So here is my question. I thought with the new IR rules that you can only bring one player back per year from IR. As well all know both Sammy and Lawson was placed on IR so therefore wouldn't that mean only one would eligible to return this year.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/8/2/12346452/understanding-nfl-roster-designations-injured-reserve-pup-nfi

IR (designated for return)

The league changed the injured reserve with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player ahead of time. Teams are still only allowed to bring one player back, but they can bring back any one player they've placed on injured reserve.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on injured reserve. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR. Once they take that player off IR, the rest of the IR players must remain on the list.

So therefore if we bring back S.Lawson then Sammy would have to stay on IR for the rest of the year and visa versa. So my question is who we bring back. It seems like we need Sammy right now more then S.Lawson but who is to guarantee that if we bring back Sammy that he will stay healthy enough to play for the rest of the year

Edited by Protocal69

So here is my question. I thought with the new IR rules that you can only bring one player back per year from IR. As well all know both Sammy and Lawson was placed on IR so therefore wouldn't that mean only one would eligible to return this year.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/8/2/12346452/understanding-nfl-roster-designations-injured-reserve-pup-nfi

IR (designated for return)

The league changed the injured reserve with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player ahead of time. Teams are still only allowed to bring one player back, but they can bring back any one player they've placed on injured reserve.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on injured reserve. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR. Once they take that player off IR, the rest of the IR players must remain on the list.

So therefore if we bring back S.Lawson then Sammy would have to stay on IR for the rest of the year and visa versa. So my question is who we bring back. It seems like we need Sammy right now more then S.Lawson but who is to guarantee that if we bring back Sammy that he will stay healthy enough to play for the rest of the year

Incorrect interpretation. Here this might help.

Correct that you can only IR one player during the season and then bring him back; however, there are different paths to IR with different rules and these two players are examples of the difference.

Shaq Lawson had surgery before the start of training camp. Thus he was placed on PUP (physically unable to perform) and from there to PUP/reserve where he can come back Oct 23 (after 6 weeks.) At that point the team has a 6 week window to either move him to the active roster, or move him to season ending IR. If Shaq had set one little tippity-toe onto the practice field during training camp PUP/reserve would no longer be an option.

Sammy went on IR, and can be designated to return 8 (not 6) weeks after he went on the list (Nov 27th). But on Nov 27th, there's no window where the team can start practicing with him and then decide; he either stays on or comes off.

In any event, there's no need to choose; they can both come back.

Edit: corrected time Sammy must be on IR per info in other thread. thanks for clarification guys

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

But if we had to choose.....

Sure, make trouble! :). I love all my children equally.

But if Sammy is actually healthy (hard to know, I get that), he's at a position of greater need thanks to some surprising new faces. Thank you Doug. I'm just glad we don't have to choose.

why is there these crazy different injury designations? why shouldn't it just be come back when you're ready? not only be able to choose 1 guy to come back?

First, because of the crazy designations, BOTH can come back. So good news there. As to the why? Follow the money. CBA, who gets paid, what salary limitations are, etc. It always come down to the money.

why is there these crazy different injury designations? why shouldn't it just be come back when you're ready? not only be able to choose 1 guy to come back?

First, because of the crazy designations, BOTH can come back. So good news there. As to the why? Follow the money. CBA, who gets paid, what salary limitations are, etc. It always come down to the money.

Augie's right about the money. If they didn't have roster limitations, the teams would also stock players on the Injured Reserve only to reactivate them whenever they wanted. Basically, these rules help reign in cheaters. Can you imagine what NE* would do if there were fewer restrictions?

Shaq isn't on IR he is on the PUP list. Learn your rules better :nana:

You could also take a look and see this was already said.

I haven't read Sal's link but am pretty Shaq was never IR'd because his injury happened prior to camp began so pretty sure he was designated for PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) Reserve which similar but not the same as Injured Reserve.

Wow

That's how it used to be in the days before the salary cap. Teams could only have a 47 man roster plus injured reserve. No inactives or practice squads guys or anything. So they would stash young players and minor injured players on IR and bring them back later. All teams did it. With no salary cap and no disclosure of salaries teams could pay these guys whatever they wanted. IR basically acted as a practice squad.

When the salary cap came in they had to do something so they said okay you can now have 53 on your roster but still only dress 47 on game day. That gives each team flexibility with short term injuries. They also created the practice squads. And also a special list (PUP) for guys who were injured from the previous season and weren't ready yet. At that time they said that should be enough roster availability for everybody (53+8+1+PUP list available). IR was then designated as gone for the season to avoid any further stashing.

Then that wasn't good enough so they increased the size of the practice squads to 10. Then they allowed a IR-DFR. Then they allow the newest rule where you can pick the one who returns instead of pre-designating.

All of this slowly chips away at the pool of money the players get. If you allowed them to put as many guys on IR as they wanted and bring them back when they wanted every team would have 8 high paid studs and 100 players making league minimum. So there has to be limits set forth in the CBA.