WR Corps Needs A Boost

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against better teams the lack of true offensive weapons will be an issue. Yes Shady is a legit stud out of the backfield and can be a factor in the passing game and Clay and Woods are solid weapons. But good defenses will stop or at least limit Shady and find a way to make the impact of Clay and Woods. As far as the options via free agency I don't see any better options than Justin Hunter (Maybe Roddy White but once again not much of a upgrade if any.)

As far as trade I think there are some legit options that will improve the team. Alshon Jeffery would be a legit number 1 receiver who would command attention from defenses and free up Clay and Woods. Problem is that Jeffery is a free agent after this season, has a big deal this year with his franchise tag deal (Which may be hard to do with the Bills cap situation), and he will likely cost a significant pick (I would say at least a 3rd rounder.)

The only cheaper option that wouldn't be a rental might be Golden Tate, he is signed to a bit of a more affordable deal and is signed to a longer term deal. He probably also probably might come at a lower cost draft pick wise. Andre Johnson would be the only one I would kick the tires on for a 7th rounder. Tate wouldn't be a stud number 1 receiver but he might be able to add another legitimate target on the outside. He is having a down year but he is still a good player who can provide just enough play making ability for the offense.

Bills are in a bit of a rock and a hard place. But I think their best options are either too costly or no effective enough.

Edited by billsfan89

Trade Marcell for Dez Bryant.

As frustrating as his off the field issues have been, we need someone better than Corbin Bryant to stuff the middle. Kyle Williams is a gap penetrator not suited to being an NT. Besides all that, Bryant has missed the last two games with a fractured knee. Not worth the trade IMHO.

Edited by voodoo poonani

Yes they do. A big boost. This offense was designed to be run first with an occasional big play in the passing game. Watkins provided that big play ability. Over the course of an entire season we're going to feel it.

Unfortunately, i dont think the solution will be found during the seasom from the outside. Powell, Goodwin, and woods are going to have to step up. And TT is going to have to build chemistry with them on the deep ball. Who knows about Hunter. I hope, but im objective.

We need a WR in the draft or in FA. Badly. Who knows if watkins will ever be the same.

Our depleted WR corps is having a tough time with injuries. Sammy Watkins and Greg Salas are on IR. Justin Hunter was picked up to try and plug a hole, but I think Whaley should keep looking (and I'm sure he is always on the lookout to upgrade talent). I thought this thread could be used to spitball. Who would you like to see the Bills sign or trade for (if so, how much would you give up)? The are a few free agents still out there. I'd prefer a veteran who could contribute early to help sustain drives. Some teams with older vets may be willing to trade for a low round pick.

Our WR corps statistics so far this season: (from ESPN)

NAME....................REC....TAR.....YDS.....AVG.....TD.....LONG.....20+.....YDS/G....YAC

Robert Woods..........20......31........196......9.8........0..........24.........3...........39.2.......51

Charles Clay.............17......24........187....11.0........0..........33.........2...........37.4.......42

Marquise Goodwin.....6......21........143....23.8........2..........84.........1...........28.6.......36

LeSean McCoy.........19......21.........95.......5.0.......1...........13.........0...........19.0.......93

Greg Salas.................4........6.........89.....22.3........1...........71........1...........44.5.......32

Sammy Watkins.........6......11..........63.....10.5........0..........19........0...........31.5.........4

Walter Powell.............7......11..........50.......7.1........0..........14........0...........12.5.......27

Nick O'Leary...............3.......4..........48.....16.0........0..........28........1..............9.6.......20

Mike Gillislee..............3.......4..........27.......9.0........1..........18........0..............5.4.......19

Jerome Felton............1.......1............5.......5.0........0............5........0..............1.3.........2

Justin Hunter..............1.......1............4.......4.0........1............4........0...............4.0........0

Totals........................87...140........907.....10.4.......6...........84........9...........181.4....326

Opponents..............110...175.......1395....12.7.......2...........66......20...........279.0....467

Goodwin is only catching 2 out of every 7 passes thrown his way, good for worst percentage on the team. I've long called for him to be replaced. I'd rather see Hunter try, or put Powell out there.

WRs available: (typically older)

Roddy White

Hakeem Nicks

Percy Harvin (retired)

Riley Cooper

Malcolm Floyd (retired)

Dwayne Bowe

Marques Colston

Potential trade targets: (deadline is November 1st 4PM ET)

Alson Jeffery (Bears)

Andre Johnson (Titans)

Eric Decker (Jets) contract could be an issue

Brandon Marshall (Jets)

Terrell Pryor (Browns) maybe not available since he's the Browns only offensive weapon

Jeremy Kerley (49ers)

Torrey Smith (49ers)

Golden Tate (Lions)

The problem with this list is that it doesn't include drop percentage. Goodwin has been thrown a lot of balls that have not been catchable. In fact, according to Sporting Charts.com, Goodwin has a 0.0% drop percentage, meaning he has caught everything he has gotten his hands on. Contrast that to Woods, who has dropped 6.5% of his passes.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

We are never going to be a team that passes a ton under Rex. I think Watkins, Woods, Hogan, & Clay was a really good group last year. Taylor doesn't go through progressions enough and Rex is a conservative coach.

So does plays of receivers getting wide open and getting missed by the qb.

Exactly. So you can't couple the issues Tyrod has and Rex's conservatism with no players that can even threaten to hurt a defense.

Listenbee is pretty much done I hear. They talked about it on the JMShow today.

I'd like to see Roddy White maybe? He was looking really slow last I saw him though.

what? Tell me about Listenbee, he in a wheelchair with Sammy?

I think Powell could be really successful and needs the chance to be on the field and needs to be targeted about 10 times a game.

They said that about Watkins, look how that turned out...

Well, When Sammy was actually targeted 10 times last year his games are;

158 yards and 2 TDs

81 yards and 1 TD

111 yards and 2 TDs

136 yards and 0 TDs

So, I would say it turned out quite well.

it did for sure.

How about now?

i was being sarcastic originally.

I don't think any one is getting ten targets a game in the Offense.

But i do agree i would like to se Powell and TT get some synergy going soon

The problem with this list is that it doesn't include drop percentage. Goodwin has been thrown a lot of balls that have not been catchable. In fact, according to Sporting Charts.com, Goodwin has a 0.0% drop percentage, meaning he has caught everything he has gotten his hands on. Contrast that to Woods, who has dropped 6.5% of his passes.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

I understand the point you're making, but there are two counter points to be made:

1) if a guy doesn't make a move to get to a ball better wide receivers would get their hands on, doesn't jump or go low or whatever - he can have a nice "drop percentage" but he doesn't pass the eyeball test. As I said, if you're a 5'9" WR in the NFL, you better have a vertical leap

2) (related point) there is an element of subjectivity in deciding whether or not something is a drop - a WR who is fierce about going for every ball that comes near him may wind up tagged for more "drops" as the observers are "well, got a hand on it, that's a drop"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The Bills need Hunter to get caught up fast. TT was able to hit him while scrambling the other day. The guy has size and speed so hopefully as the weeks progress, he starts to she more snaps. Woods does well, but Powell looks shoddy as he dropped the one pass right in his hands. Goodwin is the speed guy who stretches the field. TT just didnt have the time to throw one deep to him last week. Hopefully playing the 9ers they have a chance to go deep.

I think if they win the next two, they should definitely go out and see who they can get for a 3rd - 4th round pick at the deadline. We want to see Tyrod develop and thrive but he has probably the worst stable of WRs in the league to throw to. And I wouldn't count on seeing Sammy back this year.

Who do they have?

Woods a - player with promise but one who has shown little to this point and hasn't taken advantage of the golden opportunity Sammy's injury gave him.

Goodwin - a late round pick who is only in the NFL because he Has freakish speed. He is a good player for specific plays that utilize that speed - he is not an every down WR2

And - a bunch of cast offs who have a job because the Bills WR situation is a nightmare.

If they're 5-2 heading into the Pats game, they need to make a trade. best WR available for a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

If not - if they implode again over the next few weeks - let it go.

A team with a real chance of the playoffs for the first time in 16 years needs to go for it. A team looking at another season of mediocrity needs to keep all of their draft picks.