WR Corps Needs A Boost

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they win the next two, they should definitely go out and see who they can get for a 3rd - 4th round pick at the deadline. We want to see Tyrod develop and thrive but he has probably the worst stable of WRs in the league to throw to. And I wouldn't count on seeing Sammy back this year.

Woods a - player with promise but one who has shown little to this point and hasn't taken advantage of the golden opportunity Sammy's injury gave him.

Goodwin - a late round pick who is only in the NFL because he Has freakish speed. He is a good player for specific plays that utilize that speed - he is not an every down WR2

The fact that you don't know Goodwin was a third round pick doesn't do much for the credibility of your opinion.

Yes, he is on IR, unfortunately....was just making the point that a taller, possession-type guy like Stevie would be a great fit for us right now.

Thats the other thing about NFL and trades. It's every week with guys going down on IR. Nobody wants to trade for a rental who could go on IR just because he fell wrong on the field.

Good topic. The Bills do need help at WR with Watkins out. They are also without Salas, Easley, and Listenbee as has been mentioned.

Currently we have a WR corps of:

Woods - Proving to be a very reliable WR, but still not a #1 WR.

Goodwin - Give him some jet sweeps and some post patterns. He's not a possession receiver. He doesn't have great hands. He is fragile for sure. He's more of a #3 or #4 WR playing as the #2 WR.

Hunter - Loads of potential. Love his height and speed. Can he be consistent in getting open and catching the ball?? Lots of questions, but certainly a guy worth taking a chance on. We need him to come through big time with Watkins out. Could be a good #2 WR.

Powell - Has potential. Good speed/great burst. Needs to be consistent. Is a #5 WR.

Tate - Purely a ST guy, but can fill in when needed.

The Bills definitely need help at this position. Anybody know Easley's or Listenbee's status??

Word is that the Bills could get Watkins and Salas back by Week #11.

I wouldn't mind seeing Whaley bring in another vet WR for at least until Watkins gets back.

The Jets knew their early schedule was a killer, and it's working out as expected. How many more losses before they write off the season, and start to look at guys like Marshall as expendable for future assets? My view is Marshall is exactly the kind of receiver the Bills have needed forever -- Eric Moulds was the closest we had to Marshall's size and strength, and that was a generation ago. I'd give up a 3rd if we could sign him to a long-term contract.

The Jets knew their early schedule was a killer, and it's working out as expected. How many more losses before they write off the season, and start to look at guys like Marshall as expendable for future assets? My view is Marshall is exactly the kind of receiver the Bills have needed forever -- Eric Moulds was the closest we had to Marshall's size and strength, and that was a generation ago. I'd give up a 3rd if we could sign him to a long-term contract.

A big bodied possession receiver like Moulds would be real nice to have on third downs right now.

Our depleted WR corps is having a tough time with injuries. Sammy Watkins and Greg Salas are on IR. Justin Hunter was picked up to try and plug a hole, but I think Whaley should keep looking (and I'm sure he is always on the lookout to upgrade talent). I thought this thread could be used to spitball. Who would you like to see the Bills sign or trade for (if so, how much would you give up)? The are a few free agents still out there. I'd prefer a veteran who could contribute early to help sustain drives. Some teams with older vets may be willing to trade for a low round pick.

Yes lets cut the only speed receiver on the team and a great 3rd option and replace him w a street guy. There is a reason goodwin has survived 3 training camps and 2 injury filled seasons (like sammy), he is supremely talented.

the 2 out of 7 stat is a joke....its called Tightwad has bad accuracy and keeps throwing stupid out passes to our deep threat. What we need to do is let one of our 4 other Wr's step up and play ala Bill Brooks in the 95 season. We had fewer wrs that year than now when reed and another guy were both out.

WR is over rated and often blamed for a bad qb/system. Stop capping on goodwin. He is an important asset that, thank god, tbd can see....even if you cant.

A racist is always good for the locker. Plus, he sucks so that's a plus as well.

My kids high school played Cooper's. Even the parents wanted to punch him in the face. I'd hate a guy like that on my team. I've had more than enough experience with him.

Good topic. The Bills do need help at WR with Watkins out. They are also without Salas, Easley, and Listenbee as has been mentioned.

Goodwin - Give him some jet sweeps and some post patterns. He's not a possession receiver. He doesn't have great hands. He is fragile for sure. He's more of a #3 or #4 WR playing as the #2 WR.

Hunter - Loads of potential. Love his height and speed. Can he be consistent in getting open and catching the ball?? Lots of questions, but certainly a guy worth taking a chance on. We need him to come through big time with Watkins out. Could be a good #2 WR.

Powell - Has potential. Good speed/great burst. Needs to be consistent. Is a #5 WR.

The Bills definitely need help at this position. Anybody know Easley's or Listenbee's status??

I wouldn't mind seeing Whaley bring in another vet WR for at least until Watkins gets back.

they can only bring back Watkins OR Salas but not both. actually they have 9 total players on IR and per the rules can only bring back one of those during the season.

+1

Wanna boost the WR corps? Get a QB who can consistently find them and get them the ball.

How ridiculous. You want us to find a mystery QB in season?

You do realize 2 of our 3 starting WR's are injured, right? So you think it's unnecessary for a 3-2 team to look into finding someone in addition to the Hunter move?

they can only bring back Watkins OR Salas but not both. actually they have 9 total players on IR and per the rules can only bring back one of those during the season.

I hope by the time they have to make that call someone else has emerged, or we may not be adding them for the playoff run. Maybe Hunter?

I haven't been impressed with Powell at all. Of course he has potential....but to what level? He's dropped a few, doesn't seem very strong. Nothing there yet. We need some help at WR for sure. Not sure where it will come from. I think right now, we need to hope Hunter can be a consistent target.

Yes lets cut the only speed receiver on the team and a great 3rd option and replace him w a street guy. There is a reason goodwin has survived 3 training camps and 2 injury filled seasons (like sammy), he is supremely talented.

the 2 out of 7 stat is a joke....its called Tightwad has bad accuracy and keeps throwing stupid out passes to our deep threat. What we need to do is let one of our 4 other Wr's step up and play ala Bill Brooks in the 95 season. We had fewer wrs that year than now when reed and another guy were both out.

WR is over rated and often blamed for a bad qb/system. Stop capping on goodwin. He is an important asset that, thank god, tbd can see....even if you cant.

Thanks for the input. As like others, see some of the previous posts. I disagree that Goodwin has been an asset. Let's the look at Goodwin's entire professional career. He's caught 26 of 64 passes (40%) over 3+ years. The other WRs have had to work with the same QBs and have much better percentages. Goodwin is not catching deep balls, he barely catches anything. I would argue that it would be much more beneficial to have high percentage guy for short and intermediate routes to limit three and outs and keep drives alive. Our team wants to run the ball, control the clock, and have the defense carry the team. It has been my argument that Goodwin doesn't help that, and that our WR corps should be supplemented with more help on the outside. Again, IMHO. Thanks for sharing though.