Kaepernick to start on Sunday

I can have an opinion but it would be the equivalent of me having an opinion on menstration. I can say whatever I want but cleary can't relate my opinion to a woman's experience.

Well said, Kirby. Again, I have a hard time with folks telling him how to think. I respect a fan's right to boo him. But he's voicing his opinion about the way our country treats African Americans. You may disagree - but I have non-partisan stats that show why he's correct and don't just rely on personal anecdotes from black friends. If folks want to discuss the issue in a civil manner, go to the "politics thread" on the Sabrespace board, not the typical shoutfest we see on threads here.

Edited by Lothar

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one is saying he can't do it. Just totally misguided and completely influenced by a narrative that just isn't backed up by facts. And just because you're not black doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on the matter. Perception is important, no doubt, but it is easily clouded.

It is a fact that Blacks are pulled for traffic stops at a rate far beyond the rate that while drivers are pulled. "Driving While Black" is a real thing.

It is a fact that Blacks are pulled for traffic stops at a rate far beyond the rate that while drivers are pulled. "Driving While Black" is a real thing.

That's a far leap to blacks being systemically targeted and executed by cops.

Look, I want justice in this world, most importantly our country. I just believe that the issues raised are a distraction from issues that would really improve things in the African American community. Better schools, better economic opportunity, things like that.

I'll take to PPP...

Edited by dubs

I can have an opinion but it would be the equivalent of me having an opinion on menstration. I can say whatever I want but cleary can't relate my opinion to a woman's experience.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm not black. I was raised in an upper middle class white neighborhood where everyone had 2.5 kids and all the parents had good jobs and were married for 20+ years

How can I possibly understand the plight of someone completely different than me raised in totally different circumstances?

Well said, Kirby. Again, I have a hard time with folks telling him how to think. I respect a fan's right to boo him. But he's voicing his opinion about the way our country treats African Americans. You may disagree - but I have non-partisan stats that show why he's correct and don't just rely on personal anecdotes from black friends. If folks want to discuss the issue in a civil manner, go to the "politics thread" on the Sabrespace board, not the typical shoutfest we see on threads here.

Could you post the stats?

PPP please.

It should be. I'm just hoping that I'm around long enough, not life wise but TBD wise, to find out that the reason he sat down the first time was because he had his earbuds in and didn't know the anthem was playing and started this because of a PR spin.

This is not good. Kaepernick and Hyde is a dangerous backfield. Have to be stout early against the run and stay home against the read option. If they can win the early downs, Kaepernick will turn the ball over.

Crowd the line and play the read option. We see it daily in practice so we should be pretty familiar with how to stop it.

Kaepernick is not going to beat us playing QB.

And before you say "You could say the same for Taylor", the difference is we can run for 200+ yards on any D in the league pretty much, and on the 49ers D it might approach 300...they are God awful against the run.

Edited by matter2003

It should be. I'm just hoping that I'm around long enough, not life wise but TBD wise, to find out that the reason he sat down the first time was because he had his earbuds in and didn't know the anthem was playing and started this because of a PR spin.

what was that beatz commercial? The music? Crap... it was a catchy song, too.

I have been kidding around with my friends about this too. It would be a hilarious twist to the story.

I have been kidding around with my friends about this too. It would be a hilarious twist to the story.

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it for a reason, just find it interesting he waited until the 3rd week of preseason to do it. Why not start at the beginning of the season when all of these issues were already well know? And I'm getting too PPP for now so I'll just sleep on what I've said and leave the rest to the far lefts and far rights to decide.

Edited by The Wiz

This conversation is starting to make me cringe again.

Kaep is protesting for what he believes. I have much different life experiences than my black friends. My reality is different from theirs. It isn't right for me to tell them that their perception is right or wrong. It is THEIR perception. Kaep has elected to bring attention to what he perceives. Whether we like or dislike what he is doing we should ALL respect his right to do it (as long as it is in a peaceful manner).

Why does it make you cringe? This is exactly what KK wanted, right? To begin a conversation. So it's interesting that their opinion based on their reality is called their "perception." So that must make it right. Someone else's opinion based on their own perception is called " bias". Seems hypocritical , but whatever. I respect his right to protest. I just think the cause he " believes in" is wrong and a fiction advanced by the media that is not corroborated by facts. He's not protesting for all past injustices against African Americans , according to him. He has specifically referenced Police shootings about half of which last year did not involve suspects of color and has spoken out against cops . ALL peoples right to protest should be respected including those who choose to protest Kaepernick in some way or another.

That's very interesting. I often use that same logic when I say that the issue of abortion should be left up to women. I'm usually criticized for it.

Kaepernick is probably better poised to lead Chip Kelly's up tempo offense. This could be a real test to see if the defenses communication issues are really in the past. If they have issues getting the plays in, it could open up a lot of chances for the 49ers to really drive the tempo of the game. Kind of makes me a little worried.

Kaep is a classic example of a millennial who knows a fraction of what he thinks he knows. As a result, his well intentioned cause is completely misguided. He got caught up in quick narratives, twitter style. To make matters worse, his protesting the national anthem makes no sense.

I don't disagree that the African American community faces a lot of challenges, but police officers looking to kill them is not one. The number one goal of any officer is to make it home, not kill anyone.

That's actually the opposite of what happened but okay, just keep talking.

Normally I would think Kaep presents a bigger problem for the Bills than Gabbert, but, I have to believe because of what's going on, because of his world he lives in right now, because of his health, that he really hasn't had the concentration on the game of NFL football he needs to excel on the next Sunday, and that we should be able to rattle him into several mistakes.

That's actually the opposite of what happened but okay, just keep talking.

Normally I would think Kaep presents a bigger problem for the Bills than Gabbert, but, I have to believe because of what's going on, because of his world he lives in right now, because of his health, that he really hasn't had the concentration on the game of NFL football he needs to excel on the next Sunday, and that we should be able to rattle him into several mistakes.

How is it the opposite?