Let's talk about...John Miller

Rubes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but Whaley has failed at finding a franchise QB. That is the easiest position around to find and draft. Don't understand it, every other team in the league has one, some even 2 or 3. But Whaley has failed there and can't even find one. He needs to be fired!

Two examples of Whaley's free agent value pickups on the OL are Incognito and Jordan Mills. On the line Mills may be the least conspicuous player but also may be one of the more technically sound players on the line. Another example of Whaley's keen eye and value pickup was LB Lorenzo Alexander. From an organizational standpoint under Whaley our pro scouting department is coming up with aces.

As others have said it is obvious that a good OL coach such as Komer does make a big difference on the unit.

Whaley's drafts have been awful.

It's interesting when you look at his 3rd round picks: Preston Brown, John Miller, and Adolphus Washington. Brown and Miller are showing their worth, and while it was just one game out of 5, Dolph showed some promise as well. What seems to be a trend, is Whaley gets guys who are a year or two away from being genuinely good and allows them the room to improve in their first year or two, without asking them to do too much. Dolph remains to be seen, and even Miller over the course of a whole season, but Whaley does *not* get the credit he deserves so often from this board. He has yet to show he can Draft a QB, and to me he overpaid for Watkins - but otherwise, it's hard to argue against the job he's doing - especially when you look at FAs like Incognito and Zack Brown.

I never really paid much attention to this stuff in years past but evidently everyone said we were much more effective running behind the left side of the line last year and this year I've noticed that we seem to run just as much- and just as effectively- running to the right. Am I wrong?

Football Outsiders breaks areas run to down to five and tells how successful teams are at running there. They use their stat called Adjusted Line Yards (ALY) basically in an attempt to separate out the line's contribution to success in the run game from the back's contribution. This year's stats:

Left End (basically outside the tackle): Bills 2.73 yards per carry ... NFL average 4.17 yards per carry, 26th

Left Tackle (basically behind the tackle: Bills 3.58 YPC ... NFL average 3.98 YPC, 21st

Mid/Guard (they've found no statistical difference in separating guard/center/guard) Bills 4.08 YPC ... NFL average 3.52 YPC, 10th

Right Tackle: Bills 0.87 YPC ... NFL average 3.52 YPC, 32nd by a large margin behind 31st

Right End: Bills 3.64 YPC ... NFL average 3.47 YPC, 19th

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The RG probably has some real effect on runs over tackle, but it's hard to say how much. You'd have to guess that most of the responsibility for that, though, falls on the RT. And over the middle is where we're pretty good.

They're saying our RBs are doing a good job of dealing with unspectacular blocking. Though again, over the middle the OL is doing a well above average job.

Oughta be interesting to see how these stats change as we get a larger and more representative sample as the year passes.

Yes but Whaley has failed at finding a franchise QB. That is the easiest position around to find and draft. Don't understand it, every other team in the league has one, some even 2 or 3. But Whaley has failed there and can't even find one. He needs to be fired!

Well done ed. Well done.

Somewhat related to what you're saying here, I heard Sal say something the other day about how the GM and his staff talk to the coaches and find out what type of players they're looking for. This was in relation to a caller asking what happened to Cryil Richardson, and Sal said he was the type of player that Moron wanted, a big road grader to blow the other guys off the ball, but he didn't fit the pulling guard type that Kromer/Roman system uses. Most people will simply look at it as Whaley wasted that pick.

Miller looked like a stud in 2015 until the injury. Miller came into the 2015 pre-season looking like a ready made player. Even in the regular season he was a bit up and down he still looked like he belonged as a rookie. His struggles really started with the high ankle injury which regressed his play. I was shocked that so many viewed Miller was such a huge weakness in the O-line coming into this season, coming into the 2015 season everyone thought Whaley got such a steal and both him and Darby were 2 sure fire starters taken in the draft.

I looked at RT as the more perplexing line issue not addressed. Miller was a fairly high draft pick for his position who looked good before an injury, not putting in your limited resources into fixing that position made sense. But The RT position did give you much reason to have confidence. I believe it was Michael Strahan who said that sometimes not going out and getting free agents in the off-season can be a good sign that you like what you already have on your roster.

Our interior OL is far cry from the Colin Brown, Chris Williams, Erik Pears, Richardson, Legursky disaster a few years ago

I can't think of a time when our line was this good, since the Super Bowl years. I know we had some years when Travis Henry was running over everyone, so they must have been solid in the early 2000's, but I don't remember who they were at that point.

I do remember Ballard, Parker, Hull, Richer, and Wolford.

It is funny to think back to that era and compare the size of guys playing then vs. now.

I remember Madden making a big deal about Jim "Jumbo" Elliot on the Giants. He barely topped 300 lbs.!

Edited by dulles