The place to repent for McCoy Doubters

Remember the time you said Lynn was begging Whaley for Karlos Williams back because he didn't think Shady had it anymore? And then said since we don't have Karlos Williams right now, Gillislee should be getting more carries?

But yeah, we've got it:

Shady does bad - you were right because you said so.

Shady does good - you were right because Shady changed his bad ways :lol:

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point of the thread.........but the premise is wrong.

I've admitted being wrong many times on TSW.......but I wasn't wrong that Shady should have been doing a lot more.

He's taken ownership for his underachieving season....he was distracted and unprepared and overconfident.....but the people who were apologizing for him and hyperbolizing his accomplishments last year just cannot admit he underachieved.

My takes are always kept in perspecitive.......like the fact that this was the type of offense where he should be averaging 5.5 yards per carry..........because if a coupla' dudes like MG and Karlos could do it then why is the more talented back barely surpassing league min ypc in this offense?

I've said that probably a dozen times here........even prefacing it with the fact that one was a street free agent and the other a fifth rounder...........and because a few vocal knuckleheads don't like my criticism of Shady's performance the agenda they've pushed is that I think MG and Karlos are more talented than Shady. :lol::doh:

I give Lynn a lot of credit for forcing the issue with McCoy..........it's pretty obvious that in the 14 starts McCoy had under Roman Shady was given more options to run horizontally and pick his holes and he was regularly choosing to run away from contact.

How many times have you seen Shady scamper out of bound the past two weeks?

Lynn has closed up that issue by making the attack more quick hitting and taking away the options that Shady was taking to sideline instead of cutting up inside for big plays like MG and Karlos were.

He's getting more comfortable doing it and the blocking has been incredible........he leads the league in average yardage gained prior to contact........and he's finishing his runs now.

Contrast the 3rd and 20 play the other day to the play against the Jets earlier in the year when he burst thru the line and there was nobody on the second level.........he basically had his head on a swivel and turtled in front of a safety he should have been able to attack and beat.

He's gaining confidence it it now.........the plays are working and we are seeing what he is capable of.

Was I wrong about him probably being cut after this season.........probably so.........but things change quickly in the NFL.......ask Tony Romo.

The Rams and Niners were ultra soft against the run.......ask Ricky Willams about running on a Gregg Williams D when it's short on the DL.........and the soft part of the schedule turns into a long run of teams with playoff talent in a couple weeks so we will know a lot more about this team and McCoy when they start playing teams that won't just give up video game numbers against the run.

When the time comes where I am wrong, AS ALWAYS, I will gladly admit it.

But right now I am relishing the results........the fact that I am being proven right in the process is beside the point.

Side note.........how pissed were Deranged Greggo and Ryan L when Gillislee ripped off that long TD run? :lol:

You honestly think that Rhino and Ryan were upset that MG has a great play. THose two are fans of ALL the running backs on this team.

It is YOUR take that is the problem.....always has been.

WHat I want to know is how badly did you want Shady to stay down on the field hurt so you could boast? That is probably closer to the truth

Hasnt even hit 20 carries a game yet

Hello again, Johnny.

He is still taking a pounding. We shall see. At this point the team is riding on McCoy.

So you're saying he will suffer from touchdown fatigue?

Good one. I'm gonna bookmark this thread, youz guys are so smart.

WHat I want to know is how badly did you want Shady to stay down on the field hurt so you could boast? That is probably closer to the truth

Yup. Pathetic, isn't it?

Hello again, Johnny.

He is still taking a pounding. We shall see. At this point the team is riding on McCoy.

You do that.

Hello again, Johnny.

so we're relying on mccoy. do the falcons say...oh well we're only relying on matt ryan to win? or other teams with random players? kind of a ridiculous thing to say.

so we're relying on mccoy. do the falcons say...oh well we're only relying on matt ryan to win? or other teams with random players? kind of a ridiculous thing to say.

The Falcons haven't won anything. A running back carrying a team is more precarious, because they take lots more hits. Kind of ridiculous to compare QB's to RB's.

We shall see. All their eggs are in one basket.

If Tyrod (who is running too often) can improve as a passer, and take some of the burden off of McCoy, things might work out.

Edited by HoF Watkins

That's the point of the thread.........but the premise is wrong.

I've admitted being wrong many times on TSW.......but I wasn't wrong that Shady should have been doing a lot more.

He's taken ownership for his underachieving season....he was distracted and unprepared and overconfident.....but the people who were apologizing for him and hyperbolizing his accomplishments last year just cannot admit he underachieved.

My takes are always kept in perspecitive.......like the fact that this was the type of offense where he should be averaging 5.5 yards per carry..........because if a coupla' dudes like MG and Karlos could do it then why is the more talented back barely surpassing league min ypc in this offense?

I've said that probably a dozen times here........even prefacing it with the fact that one was a street free agent and the other a fifth rounder...........and because a few vocal knuckleheads don't like my criticism of Shady's performance the agenda they've pushed is that I think MG and Karlos are more talented than Shady. :lol::doh:

I give Lynn a lot of credit for forcing the issue with McCoy..........it's pretty obvious that in the 14 starts McCoy had under Roman Shady was given more options to run horizontally and pick his holes and he was regularly choosing to run away from contact.

How many times have you seen Shady scamper out of bound the past two weeks?

Lynn has closed up that issue by making the attack more quick hitting and taking away the options that Shady was taking to sideline instead of cutting up inside for big plays like MG and Karlos were.

He's getting more comfortable doing it and the blocking has been incredible........he leads the league in average yardage gained prior to contact........and he's finishing his runs now.

Contrast the 3rd and 20 play the other day to the play against the Jets earlier in the year when he burst thru the line and there was nobody on the second level.........he basically had his head on a swivel and turtled in front of a safety he should have been able to attack and beat.

He's gaining confidence it it now.........the plays are working and we are seeing what he is capable of.

Was I wrong about him probably being cut after this season.........probably so.........but things change quickly in the NFL.......ask Tony Romo.

The Rams and Niners were ultra soft against the run.......ask Ricky Willams about running on a Gregg Williams D when it's short on the DL.........and the soft part of the schedule turns into a long run of teams with playoff talent in a couple weeks so we will know a lot more about this team and McCoy when they start playing teams that won't just give up video game numbers against the run.

When the time comes where I am wrong, AS ALWAYS, I will gladly admit it.

But right now I am relishing the results........the fact that I am being proven right in the process is beside the point.

Side note.........how pissed were Deranged Greggo and Ryan L when Gillislee ripped off that long TD run? :lol:

There's no question that he's going upfield quicker and more aggressively than last year. Anyone can see that, I think. He still bounces outside a bit too much in my humble opinion.

I think skepticism is warranted any time an athlete who has done nothing but dominate their whole life at every level of competition always doing things one particular way, suddenly tries to make a fundamental shift in playing style. Do you see how fast he is hitting some of these holes? The difference is at times astonishing! Shady seems in the process of proving himself but even if he wins league MVP I'll happily continue to be skeptical in that kind of situation. Big time kudos to LeSean McCoy for openly acknowledging his failures of last season rather than living in denial as some among us did, and being able to make such an impressive (and productive!!) transition.

I'm so grateful that the archaic Greg Roman is out of our lives and that along with Shady's renaissance, Clay has suddenly become a useful player again (Sammy where art thou!). I thought Shady was a talented player in a vacuum and more than once pointed out that there were 3 different wins last year we probably do not get without him. My thing was I just did not think he and Roman made sense together, and thought that mismatch of coach and player led to a lot of the shortcomings you've incisively pointed out over the last year. and Roman always seemed stuck in his ways, slow to adapt if ever. Kudos is due to Rex for pulling that trigger, I only wish he'd done it a few months sooner- we'd likely be 5-1 on the way to 6-1 right now had Coach Ryan taken my phone calls. B-)

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

The Falcons haven't won anything. A running back carrying a team is more precarious, because they take lots more hits. Kind of ridiculous to compare QB's to RB's.

We shall see. All their eggs are in one basket.

If Tyrod (who is running too often) can improve as a passer, and take some of the burden off of McCoy, things might work out.

Again I say (I am not sure why at this point) that carrying the ball 19 times a game is not putting a huge burden on a running back.

Take a look at the feature backs for other NFL teams....then come back and give a more informed opinion.

There's no question that he's going upfield quicker and more aggressively than last year. Anyone can see that, I think. He still bounces outside a bit too much in my humble opinion.

I think skepticism is warranted any time an athlete who has done nothing but dominate their whole life at every level of competition always doing things one particular way, suddenly tries to make a fundamental shift in playing style. Do you see how fast he is hitting some of these holes? The difference is at times astonishing! Shady seems in the process of proving himself but even if he wins league MVP I'll happily continue to be skeptical in that kind of situation. Big time kudos to LeSean McCoy for openly acknowledging his failures of last season rather than living in denial as some among us did, and being able to make such an impressive (and productive!!) transition.

I'm so grateful that the archaic Greg Roman is out of our lives and that along with Shady's renaissance, Clay has suddenly become a useful player again (Sammy where art thou!). I thought Shady was a talented player in a vacuum and more than once pointed out that there were 3 different wins last year we probably do not get without him. My thing was I just did not think he and Roman made sense together, and thought that mismatch of coach and player led to a lot of the shortcomings you've incisively pointed out over the last year. and Roman always seemed stuck in his ways, slow to adapt if ever. Kudos is due to Rex for pulling that trigger, I only wish he'd done it a few months sooner- we'd likely be 5-1 on the way to 6-1 right now had Coach Ryan taken my phone calls. B-)

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying

If said player wins the NFL Most Valuable Player.....I mean....THE award given to the top player in all of the NFL.

You would remain skeptical?

And nothing about Shady is changing (unless you want to point to the fact that he is doing more with less carries) he is still the

Not between the tackles

Not the pound it and wear down defenses

Gets to the edge

Makes defenders miss one on one

None of those things have changed.....this is the player that Shady is.....there was an article before the start of last season where the premier top backs of the league and analyzed and it was brought up (and a good article) that Shady even though he had more carries had less wear and tear because he was not a pound it up the middle back.

I have absolutely no idea how long Shady is gonna keep doing this.....but I am enjoying the heck out of it right now.

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying

If said player wins the NFL Most Valuable Player.....I mean....THE award given to the top player in all of the NFL.

You would remain skeptical?

Mike Rodakent's column: Thurman Thomas: LeSean McCoy 'definitely' an NFL MVP candidate

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26324/thurman-thomas-lesean-mccoy-definitely-an-nfl-mvp-candidate

Cannot look at video for at work but it looks like someone is ghost writing his article for it does not have some of his usual mangling of the English language.

Again I say (I am not sure why at this point) that carrying the ball 19 times a game is not putting a huge burden on a running back.

Take a look at the feature backs for other NFL teams....then come back and give a more informed opinion.

Great, so when week 13 comes around, and he is injured, or not playing nearly as well, you will accept my wisdom?Or will you instead attack me, and claim that I'm gloating over him being injured? I think I know the true answer.

If it all goes great, and McCoy carries this team to the playoffs,I will gladly revisit this thread to acknowledge your wisdom.

I think they are too thin at running back, to thrive for a complete season as a ground and pound team.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Great, so when week 13 comes around, and he is injured, or not playing nearly as well, you will accept my wisdom?Or will you instead attack me, and claim that I'm gloating over him being injured? I think I know the true answer.

If it all goes great, and McCoy carries this team to the playoffs,I will gladly revisit this thread to acknowledge your wisdom.

I think they are too thin at running back, to thrive for a complete season as a ground and pound team.

Any player, regardless of age or position, can get injured on any given play. That's just the sport, a violent game with large men who move very, very fast. If Shady gets hurt this year the folks who have/are arguing "he's got too many miles on him" will draw some false correlations. He doesn't have a history of being injury prone, and physically he's in his prime (biologically speaking and clearly by evidence of his play). The people beat that "too many miles" drum last year were confusing a nagging injury and dramatic life change with McCoy hitting a wall. Even if he gets hurt this year, it won't validate that position because sometimes **** just happens.

But you certainly have a point that putting all their eggs in the RB basket is dicey based on how much more contact there is in the job description compared to QB. That's a valid concern, we just disagree as to the amount of risk it actually entails. Teams in throughout NFL history have had great success making just that bet on RBs and more than a few have won titles doing so. A lot of those teams did so at a point in league history were there was much more contact and worse treatment options. So you're right to be concerned, but I'm not sure it's worth losing too much sleep over.

If Shady goes down it'll crush the offense, not because they never should have put all their eggs in one basket, but because he's been playing at such a high level. Elite level. Top three RB kinda level. While I disagree with you that they're thin at RB (the cupboard isn't bare behind him), they certainly don't have anyone that can replicate the kind of impact he's had these past four games. None of the other backs on the squad could carry this offense with Watkins still on ice, but that doesn't mean they can't win games with those other backs.