Dareus says he got treatment for ADHD; no rehab

YoloinOhio

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ritalin is a banned substance in the NFL.

Imo

Adderall is allowed under a "therapeutic use exemption" with a diagnosis of ADD

Which is pretty weird, actually, when you think about it. Adderall is straight amphetamine. Ritalin is methylphenidate. So amphetamine is OK but methylphenidate isn't?

ADHD sounds like a cop out excuse of some kind, and I suspect meds to deal with it are probably banned, but i AGAIN hope he gets his life together on and off the field.

See above on meds.

ADHD can be real, and the meds for it can be game-changers. The thing is, for people who really have ADHD, they don't get a "buzz" off the drugs. It's one of the hallmarks - it just brings them back up to where they should be, may actually relax them. So the players who are describing getting a "buzz" off it are probably not a legitimate ADHD diagnosis.

Adderall is allowed under a "therapeutic use exemption" with a diagnosis of ADD

Which is pretty weird, actually, when you think about it. Adderall is straight amphetamine. Ritalin is methylphenidate. So amphetamine is OK but methylphenidate isn't?

See above on meds.

ADHD can be real, and the meds for it can be game-changers. The thing is, for people who really have ADHD, they don't get a "buzz" off the drugs. It's one of the hallmarks - it just brings them back up to where they should be, may actually relax them. So the players who are describing getting a "buzz" off it are probably not a legitimate ADHD diagnosis.

Thanks, that's really interesting. And very curious. ADHD is a huge gray area in my book. We've been down that road with multiple family members. I know it helps some, and I know one family member who was on adderall calls it a cop out. (But you can get about $20/pill as of 5-7 years ago on a college campus.) I'll just wait to see how it plays out, as even the "experts" can't agree. Go Big Guy!

I just hope he was busting his tail with intense workouts so he can jump into the season and contribute immediately. If Bruce had anything to say to him, it would be to take care of your body 24/7 and be in peak physical shape. Honestly he looked a little chunkier than normal from the practice footage today, and that's saying something.....

We guaranteed him 60 million, last year alone he raked in $28M. Get to work big fella.......

Thanks, that's really interesting. And very curious. ADHD is a huge gray area in my book. We've been down that road with multiple family members. I know it helps some, and I know one family member who was on adderall calls it a cop out. (But you can get about $20/pill as of 5-7 years ago on a college campus.) I'll just wait to see how it plays out, as even the "experts" can't agree. Go Big Guy!

IMHO, ADD and ADHD are way overdiagnosed and the pills can become a substitute for working toward behavioral change and accountability rather than an aid to doing so.

On college campuses, they have become a major drug of abuse.

I just hope he was busting his tail with intense workouts so he can jump into the season and contribute immediately. If Bruce had anything to say to him, it would be to take care of your body 24/7 and be in peak physical shape. Honestly he looked a little chunkier than normal from the practice footage today, and that's saying something.....

Linky?

Cold. I care about him getting his personal life together so he can play.

How is it Cold if I am not that nosey neighbor that sits and peeks through the blinds, wanting to know every little problem with people they don't really know in real life? His personal life is his, the football filed is ours.

Edited by Beef Jerky

IMHO, ADD and ADHD are way overdiagnosed and the pills can become a substitute for working toward behavioral change and accountability rather than an aid to doing so.

On college campuses, they have become a major drug of abuse.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/voices/article/17602540/bravo-simone-biles-taking-stand-adhd-stigma

I always thought Adderall type drugs were banned in NFL because it helped the players focus and it was like a PED on the field. Joe Haden and Richard Sherman are two guys who I thought got busted for it at one time. Not sure if you are ok with a prescription.

I mean... I dont even care. Whatever it is. Good for Marcel, hope he's doing better, but just get out there and perform already.

Kind of my thoughts. I want Marcel to be happy and I hope playing good football for the Bills is part of that happiness.

I know someone who quit her corporate job to become a "life coach." She is raking it in. Still not really sure what she does.

Basically you are a therapist with no education or training to do so. I am not saying it is a bad thing. If some has been successful and can communicate what helps to become successful in their lives both at work and personal, great.

Well he needs to be a person first. Before he becomes a player. Just hope he can really get his life in order. Before he becomes a player.

He already is a player. He is being paid huge amounts of money to be a player. I get it that being a person is important, but if he needs stop being a player or even interfere with being a player to figure it out, in the immortal words of Eric Wood, can he "give back some of that money he ain't f***ing earned"?

Well, at least he has the right attitude:

"They really put a lot of emphasis on (maturity). We sat and talked as a group. They believe in me," Dareus said. "They know that I’m not a trouble guy. They know that I’m not the person that’s trying to look for any trouble, not trying to do anything wrong. Things happen. We’re moving forward. I’m going to grow into the guy they want me to be. I’m going to continue to put myself in positions to get better."

Oh, wait-that was from 2 years ago when he got busted and was going to change his life around and make smarter decisions.

So, he said he was going to "enter rehab". He didn't. Then it was "he's in outpatient rehab". He wasn't. Instead, he got a life coach, got a script for his ADHD and "entered" Bruce's "waterfront palace" and hung out.

This guy isn't done disappointing his team and team mates...

The calls for "maturity" go hand in hand with frontal lobe development and executive decision making which generally happens around age 25 (Dareus is 26). Don't underestimate that. I'm not playing doctor here, but we have a bit more experience than I'd have wished for. I'm just hoping he gets it all together and when he goes into the HOF as one of the greatest Bills ever (and SB MVP), this will be just a footnote.

Edited by Augie