Sammy Watkins to get opinion on foot, season likely over

pbanach

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was not in pain. He was fully healed. This surgery has a 3 month recovery time to being fully healed. He had that. He said he felt great and ready to go, as well. In 20 percent of cases, the player needs a second surgery AFTER they return to game action. It happened to Julio. It happened to Edelman. It happened to Dez. None of these guys play for Bills. There is nothing out of the ordinary in terms of how the Bills handled it.

That's actually a remarkable sample. Is this the injury for elite WRs. Does exceptional route running or maintaining speed through cuts break the feet or something?

That's actually a remarkable sample. Is this the injury for elite WRs. Does exceptional route running or maintaining speed through cuts break the feet or something?

It sounds plausible. However on this board it's likely just the injury of the soft pu$$$ified NFL player .

guys - for all those who are opining that Sammy was misdiagnosed or chose the wrong surgery/time/surgeon, consider this:

"For several reasons, a Jones fracture may not unite. The diaphyseal bone (zone II), where the fracture occurs, is an area of potentially poor blood supply, existing in a watershed area between two blood supplies. This may compromise healing. In addition, there are various tendons, including the peroneus brevis and fibularis tertius, and two small muscles attached to the bone. These may pull the fracture apart and prevent healing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_fracture

I am very familiar with this fracture as I started my career as an orthopedic surgical sales rep and the Jones fracture, along with with the scaphoid (hand) are notorious for higher rates of non-union.

Orthopedic surgical sales. The guys docs turn to during surgery.

I have it on good authority that the injury occurred in the off-season.

The incident involved a dominatrix, a bull whip, and a bottle of gin. You connect the dots.

Regarding the bungled surgery: apparently Russ Brandon convinced Pegula that he could do the surgery himself in order to keep news of the real cause of injury in-house and hushed. That didn't go well.

Now Brandon is on the brink of launching a "dynamic and robust" brain and nerve tonic called Dr. Russ' Nervine.

Soon to be on shelves in the pharmacy sections of all WNY Tops and Wegmans stores.

Edited by Fadingpain

You don't need a medical degree, but you do need some knowledge of injuries and the usual course of rehab.

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/treatments/pages/fifth-metatarsal-fracture-surgery.aspx

https://www.aofas.org/PRC/meeting/Documents/returntoplayinnationalfoo.pdf

The usual course of recovery for this injury is 6-8 weeks "sports specific integration" and 8-10 weeks "return to play" after surgical fixation with screw, and Sammy "limping around in training camp" was right on course to be doing that as part of his rehab

However, a significant proportion of those treated do apparently suffer complications or need a 2nd surgery (one source says 20%).

Article about Edelman's Jones fracture which kept him out from Nov 15th to January 16th, 9 weeks.

Article about Julio Jones's Jones fracture rehab after 2013 season - again note that usual recovery is 6-12 weeks, but since Jones had been treated for the same injury in 2011 and broke the bone AND screw, his 2nd rehab was more cautious.

Let's not forget this guy: http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-durant-foot-injury-explained-2015-3

Orthopedic surgical sales. The guys docs turn to during surgery.

Cool guys, and for those who don't know what we do in Medical Device Sales, as I've been in it for 18 years, and management for 10. These surgeons or interventionalists like Orthos, Interventional Cardiologists, GI's, Neuro Rads (the brain guys), and so on when they have cases, they text or have their assistant contact the rep for his availability for a case. If he's taken up, and needed, will rearrange the case for the rep to be there. We in some cases see more per week by all the docs than them. That's medicine. Routine cases yer as a courtesy, but years ago when I did carotid stent interventions, many of the docs may only do 12 a year as too o many other types of interventions. I support 5-7 per week. I get films sent to me, no HIPPA names so I don't know who is the person, nor do I care. I just always cared about helping my doctor and have a good outcome for the patient.

Every time I'm on a plane and someone asks me what I do they are dumbfounded how many reps are in these cases.

So when one or two accomplished Ortho reps make the statements they made above, I'll take them at their word as they know more than I do about these fractures. I'm just saying listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Teacup kittens are awesome.

awww shucks.

As a frequent reader but rare poster to this board, I would say that "Hapless" post was about the most informative actual data I have ever seen on this site. You even posted the powerpoint article of the surgeon's technique! good work.

That's why we keep him around.

Cool guys, and for those who don't know what we do in Medical Device Sales, as I've been in it for 18 years, and management for 10. These surgeons or interventionalists like Orthos, Interventional Cardiologists, GI's, Neuro Rads (the brain guys), and so on when they have cases, they text or have their assistant contact the rep for his availability for a case. If he's taken up, and needed, will rearrange the case for the rep to be there. We in some cases see more per week by all the docs than them. That's medicine. Routine cases yer as a courtesy, but years ago when I did carotid stent interventions, many of the docs may only do 12 a year as too o many other types of interventions. I support 5-7 per week. I get films sent to me, no HIPPA names so I don't know who is the person, nor do I care. I just always cared about helping my doctor and have a good outcome for the patient.

Every time I'm on a plane and someone asks me what I do they are dumbfounded how many reps are in these cases.

So when one or two accomplished Ortho reps make the statements they made above, I'll take them at their word as they know more than I do about these fractures. I'm just saying listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about.

:thumbsup:

I listened to Rex's segment on the afternoon show today and he said there was no update on Sammy when asked. He did say "hopefully we get him back" in his post game presser yesterday so I guess there is a tiny sliver of hope he doesn't need surgery (?)

Why no update though?

I listened to Rex's segment on the afternoon show today and he said there was no update on Sammy when asked. He did say "hopefully we get him back" in his post game presser yesterday so I guess there is a tiny sliver of hope he doesn't need surgery (?)

Why no update though?

I like it. The back and forth between Sammy, the reporters and the team was way to sloppy. When/if he plays again just tell us that Friday before the game when the injury reports are released. It's all about the team and less about Sammy.

I like it. The back and forth between Sammy, the reporters and the team was way to sloppy. When/if he plays again just tell us that Friday before the game when the injury reports are released. It's all about the team and less about Sammy.

i agree its "easier" to game plan knowing for sure whether you have him or not. The question is whether he will be able to play Week 11 (8 week min on IR) or if it will be all season. If surgery, it's the season. If just rest, he could be back. Thought he was seeing that renowned doc last week to determine so what's the holdup on the info...

i agree its "easier" to game plan knowing for sure whether you have him or not. The question is whether he will be able to play Week 11 (8 week min on IR) or if it will be all season. If surgery, it's the season. If just rest, he could be back. Thought he was seeing that renowned doc last week to determine so what's the holdup on the info...

I would be very surprised if any info is provided. Rex doesn't seem to like to let on he knows anything about players on IR (whether he does or not). The Bills were not forthcoming about Sammy's original fracture - when did it occur? was surgery the initial treatment or was 8-12 weeks immobilization tried first? whether because Sammy didn't keep them in the loop or because, that's just not how the Bills roll these days. The fans didn't hear until it would have impacted Sammy at mandatory minicamp.

So I would actually be surprised if the Bills/Sammy, having not been forthcoming in the first instance, provided any information now.

This is horrible. Anemic offense losing their only Star WR......Lynn&co, Tyrod &co, and Shady been doing a great job making up for his absence. A lot of us thought the season was over when it was revealed the Bills med staff !@#$ed up AGAIN but, I really like how our team has stepped up and played the 'damn the torpedoes' card. Were actually winning brehs! We been WINNING BREHS!!! :thumbsup:

Hunter>Goodwin in run blocking

Hunter>Goodwin in catching

Hunter>Goodwin in redzone

Goodwin>Hunter in flat speed

Move Justin into starting role opposite Woods and then IF Sammy comes back you go with whoever did better between 10 & 17.