Watkins Ruled Out For Sunday (Update - placed on IR)

BreezeMafia

You are trying awfully hard to defend a few buffoons idiotic behavior. What other people do for a living and what they chose not todo is not SW 's problem. He had every right to shoot back at them and hit them where it hurts: the truth. Athletes live " charmed lives" ( your words not mine) because of our capitalistic society. It's really capitalism at its finest , the NFL. It provides a product that absolutely no one needs, for a price that is fairly high. Millions want to watch, though no one does because they have to ( ok , except for the media). Very few are "blessed" with the ability to play it at a level high enough to get the job. Are they worth the money they make? Absolutely , because no one needs their product. It's purely a want. Is the CEO of say , a gas company worth their outrageous salary selling a product that everyone needs? That sells itself? Essentially there are many ways to make a good living in our society , and if one doesn't like their lot in life very much ,there are things they can do to better it. ( and yes, being good at math will probably make you more $ than not being good at it) Whining about what pro athletes are doing with their personal time and dogging them on social media is probably not one of them, though.

You are going a long way to mischaracterize my point here.

I'm not "defending" (the most poorly understood word on TSW) these people. I'm telling you why I think they say what they said. I'm certainly also not begrudging anyone, let alone Watkins (or any CEO, for that matter) the ability to make as much money as they can legally obtain. That's America, after all.

But I also don't think all of those who criticized Sammy on social media "don't like their lot in life". In fact, I bet they are pretty satisfied with their lives. They don't appreciate the attitude of a young millionaire telling them their lives suck compared to his. The overwhelming likelihood is that Sammy will, in 10 or 20 years, be one of them. They know this.

Watkins's (deleted) response was completely idiotic and tone deaf in regards to his "lot in life" compared to almost every fan he is playing in front of and for (yes, he plays for the fans--that's how this works). Fans, as consumers of the NFL, are allowed to comment on the product they are consuming. Players can ignore it (as they did for generations) or they can make really foolish responses that they later delete (puzzy move, by the way).

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammys job is better than yours. Sorry jack.

Julio's job is better than yours as well.

In regards to the comments Sammy made, he was young, frustrated, and used a poor choice of words. No grudge here. That said, I actually disagree. Money won't always give you back your health and money can't be used to buy extra years. I wouldn't take a big pay day to play professional football. If poverty was my alternative, perhaps, but I'm sure plenty of people on the forum make enough to feel the same way. Enough being not having to be rich. Just enough.

Edited by KzooMike

@AdamSchefter

Bills WR Sammy Watkins scheduled to fly to North Carolina this week to meet with Dr. Robert Anderson to... http://es.pn/2dk5NyG

Bills WR Sammy Watkins scheduled to fly to North Carolina this week to meet with Dr. Robert Anderson to determine if he needs a second surgery on his foot that would end his season, league source told ESPN. Belief is Watkins likely will need the surgery and if he does, it officially would end his season.

I can not find the post but I believe when Watkins surgery was announced mid-May, someone posted questioning whether Watkins would play this season. (It might have been mrags but I'm not certain). That was an unusual prediction since the "typical" recovery promoted by Robert Anderson & colleagues for their protocol is 8-10 weeks, which (even if surgery was mid-May, not mid-April) would have had Watkins returning in time for training camp at the end of July.

Whoever you were, it has to be said: You were right!

One thing i do know. When Carolina lost Kelvin Benjamin in preseason 2015 I was sure they were cooked. All they did was cruise their way to the SuperBowl. Now he's healthy and they are 1-3.

I'm Not suggesting the Bills will be more successful without Watkins, but it's such a team game.,,,and they are 2-0 without him. (plus defensive reinforcements are on the way- Dareus & Shaq). The sky is not falling.

sal showed the comparison in career to julio jones who had the same injury and missed the season the year with the injury. played 5 games then got shut down. came back the following year and killed it. maybe has some trade value?

Why would you trade your number one receiver when you have him under contract for 2 more years at well-below-market value?

There is not a single good reason to do so IMO

Why would you trade your number one receiver when you have him under contract for 2 more years at well-below-market value?

There is not a single good reason to do so IMO

Because they don't believe Sammy is what people say he is so they are looking to squeeze out the little value they see him having. We aren't going to convince them either. We just have to hope Whaley doesn't do anything stupid.

Edited by What a Tuel

sal showed the comparison in career to julio jones who had the same injury and missed the season the year with the injury. played 5 games then got shut down. came back the following year and killed it. maybe has some trade value?

If you are implying that JJ's experience with the same injury shows that a player could come back and be highly effective next season, why would you trade the player? The compensation would be low, so you'd be better off with said player on the roster.

Because they don't believe Sammy is what people say he is so they are looking to squeeze out the little value they see him having. We aren't going to convince them either. We just have to hope Whaley doesn't do anything stupid.

So if I understand this right, the theory is that Sammy isn't very good, and is injured. Because his specific ailment has a history of a full recovery, we can therefore fleece other teams--who must be stupid--to take this not very good player off of our hands for a pick?

It would also logically follow that the pick would have to be a mid-round pick, because hey, he's not very good, which is why we're trading him.

Well, riddle me this: why would we take a mid-round pick for our #1 WR, while we have him at less than market value, and can simply let him go after 2 more years and probably get a 3rd-round compensatory pick for him at that time?

So if I understand this right, the theory is that Sammy isn't very good, and is injured. Because his specific ailment has a history of a full recovery, we can therefore fleece other teams--who must be stupid--to take this not very good player off of our hands for a pick?

It would also logically follow that the pick would have to be a mid-round pick, because hey, he's not very good, which is why we're trading him.

Well, riddle me this: why would we take a mid-round pick for our #1 WR, while we have him at less than market value, and can simply let him go after 2 more years and probably get a 3rd-round compensatory pick for him at that time?

I believe he's agreeing with your point and hopes the Bills keep Sammy.