We needed it but it may bite us

4merper4mer

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win yesterday for sure but the reality is that the win hurt us in terms of playoff opportunity. As much as I'd love to win the division, I don't think the Bills are there yet and even if they were I'm not sure the NFL and especially the refs would allow it. If correct, this means any hope at the playoffs is via wild card.

Yesterday's win put us at the very bottom of tie-breaker scenarios in the case of wild card opportunities. Unless we're only battling teams in our own division or one on one with a team we'll play or have played like Baltimore, then the first tie breaker involves eliminating teams that have good records against the NFC. It seems likely that we may end up there. Arizona is/was a favorite in that division and we get the Rams and 9ers later in the year. We're looking at a 3-1 record against the NFC with the probable loss coming against Seattle. I think that record will probably be too good to keep us in the hunt tie-breaker wise.

R U kidding pal? Why would anyone be thinking of this after 1 wln, let alone taking the time to post it??? It's like these people that have to find a negative

about a positive thing. A win is a win, that's the important thing. Besides, there's 13 more ball games left. Bring up "playoff implications" after 1 win? Really?

This was a pretty simple thread and it got a little weird. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well and in retrospect we all get a little emotional about the Bills. We're fans so it's ok.

Maybe the better way to explain this would be to use the Cardinals as the example instead of the Bills. Less emotion.

The Cards are in a division where Seattle looms. I think the consensus on the Rams and 9ers is that they are weak. In addition, the NFC WC contenders are probably going to be the #2 teams from the East and North along with possibly the South if Atlanta keeps it up and Carolina rights the ship. The Cards are almost certain to end up in a tie for something. It's really a mathematical probability even this early. If it is with Seattle and they split their games, and both go say 3-1 against the Rams and 9ers, then you can bet the Cards will be happy about their losses to the Bills and Pats, because they are very likely to be the reason they win with division. Seattle already beat Miami too so their tiebreaker situation is 1-0 where the Cards are a much better 0-2. If Seattle beats the Jets this weekend the best they will be able to do is a tie in this particular tiebreaker. If any of the 4 remaining games go the wrong way, they will be toast.

The WC stuff has more moving parts but 0-2 is and advantage for the Cardinals.

This was a pretty simple thread and it got a little weird. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well and in retrospect we all get a little emotional about the Bills. We're fans so it's ok.

Maybe the better way to explain this would be to use the Cardinals as the example instead of the Bills. Less emotion.

The Cards are in a division where Seattle looms. I think the consensus on the Rams and 9ers is that they are weak. In addition, the NFC WC contenders are probably going to be the #2 teams from the East and North along with possibly the South if Atlanta keeps it up and Carolina rights the ship. The Cards are almost certain to end up in a tie for something. It's really a mathematical probability even this early. If it is with Seattle and they split their games, and both go say 3-1 against the Rams and 9ers, then you can bet the Cards will be happy about their losses to the Bills and Pats, because they are very likely to be the reason they win with division. Seattle already beat Miami too so their tiebreaker situation is 1-0 where the Cards are a much better 0-2. If Seattle beats the Jets this weekend the best they will be able to do is a tie in this particular tiebreaker. If any of the 4 remaining games go the wrong way, they will be toast.

Not when you don't have enough wins to be tied in the first place. Less wins are never ever more valuable in making the playoffs, which is why this thread is just ieatcrayonz trolling with the same thread he trolled with before, verbatim. Another poster already posted his other thread where he did this as ieatcrayonz.

For the sake of those he sucked in, let me clear this up for you so you can leave this thread and let it die its miserable death: If the Cards are tied with 10 wins with another team with 10 wins for the WC spot...guess what, they would be WAY better off if they would have just beat the Bills because they would have 11 wins instead of 10 and NOT be tied and have already won a playoff birth. Losing does NOT in anyway help their chances ever. There is a difference in looking at the silver lining of a loss and saying "well if we don't get enough wins, we might have some things work in our favor in a tie breaker at least"...and saying that losing is better than winning because of tie breakers which is what this buffoon is trying to sell you for his own amusement.

the weak Rams are 2-1 tied for the division lead. After a East Coast win against tampa. The cards are 1-2 beating the same lowly bucs for their only win. So the "consensus" is what bobbleheads proclaim by past seasons records. some buy in others take a wait and see approach and avoid making baseless predictions after 3'games.

the weak Rams are 2-1 tied for the division lead. After a East Coast win against tampa. The cards are 1-2 beating the same lowly bucs for their only win. So the "consensus" is what bobbleheads proclaim by past seasons records. some buy in others take a wait and see approach and avoid making baseless predictions after 3'games.

Whatever dude Pick nits if you must. My point is that there will be ties. Who knows if it'll be the Cardinals and Seahawks. That is beside the point.

Good win yesterday for sure but the reality is that the win hurt us in terms of playoff opportunity. As much as I'd love to win the division, I don't think the Bills are there yet and even if they were I'm not sure the NFL and especially the refs would allow it. If correct, this means any hope at the playoffs is via wild card.

Yesterday's win put us at the very bottom of tie-breaker scenarios in the case of wild card opportunities. Unless we're only battling teams in our own division or one on one with a team we'll play or have played like Baltimore, then the first tie breaker involves eliminating teams that have good records against the NFC. It seems likely that we may end up there. Arizona is/was a favorite in that division and we get the Rams and 9ers later in the year. We're looking at a 3-1 record against the NFC with the probable loss coming against Seattle. I think that record will probably be too good to keep us in the hunt tie-breaker wise.

I'm late to this thread, but just wanted to show my appreciation for a classic.

Well we are Bills fans, so let's give the OP a pass. If the OP is under 25 they probably can not recall what it was like to cheer for a winner.

Based on the tittle, I was sure it was a draft thread, because that's the only way I see it making sense. But I'm all for giving a pass, especially if it's over the middle!

Well we are Bills fans, so let's give the OP a pass. If the OP is under 25 they probably can not recall what it was like to cheer for a winner.

I fit that demographic and can confirm. Anytime the Bills are winning I have it in the back of my head that something terrible is going to happen that leads to a loss.

For example, after I was done celebrating the botched FG returned for a TD last Sunday I began to worry about the ways they could still blow the game. I hate being conditioned to react this way...

No worries, the bills can forfeit the Rams game and they're right back "in the hunt"

I see what you are saying but it is absurd, and it is no way to look at the season.

You are saying that when everything is said and done, and two NFC teams are tied at 10-6, the team with the least amount of NFC wins is going to be the odd man out usually. Usually that is correct.

So to apply it to the Bills, you are saying it is inevitable for us to be 10-6 tied for a wild card spot if we have any opportunity to make the playoffs. You are saying we should prefer more of those 10 wins to be AFC wins rather than NFC wins.

But this is assuming that the Bills will ONLY get 10 wins. A win against the cardinals does not mean we will lose against the jaguars to even us out at 10-6. A win against the cardinals means we might make it to 11-5.

You are applying your logic to a set win/loss record which is the wrong way to go about it.

Edited by What a Tuel