Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

The biggest hole in the story is that Rex would tell him that this would be Rex's last year with the Bills. No way he would admit that to anyone even one of his coaches even if he knew it to be true.

The second biggest hole is that Rex would tell the guy he would be the next head coach when (at the time) Lynn was just a lowly assistant. That would mean Rex would have known during the offseason that Roman was going to be gone and that Lynn would be successful when he stepped in to replace Roman. Rex didn't know that and still doesn't. I am quite sure at the time you claim this conversation happened, Rex still thought that this team was going to be very competitive. And if the team was more competitive , Roman wouldn't have been canned. Therefore the story is B.S.

I call bunk on the whole story. Total horse doo doo.

I agree. While the Pegs might like Lynn, there's no way Rex could positively state Lynn's the next HC. The Pegulas could love Lynn and still hire someone else.

Besides, Rex wants redemption. He's either going to stay until he makes the Bills a winner or until he gets fired.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deep sigh>

We've played two football games, and we're already talking about when the HC gets fired. Not even if.

THIS... is Buffalo Bills football.

The 1990s were so very long ago, but how I miss them... so let's get the band back together!

FRANK REICH 2017

1) My contention last year was that Rex hired 40 freakin' coaches because he had decided he didn't want to work that hard anymore and figured if he hired enough people he could just give them the directive and they could do all the work and he could enjoy his life and his fat contract.

Well, that blew up and his team's lack of preparedness, discipline and direction exposed his lack of effort.

The idea that he knew this could very well be his last year either way isn't far fetched.

2) Lynn is considered a viable NFL head coaching candidate and is the assistant HC........so it's not surprising at all that Rex would have reminded him that he had a good chance to get the Bills job if he stayed on board. Much less likely if he left because the thing he could offer is continuity.

Kim chooses 2 coaches in a row? I have to say I'd rather they bring in a football person or let Whaley make the hire. This isn't the Pegulas personal Madden game.

"It was a little bit of a surprise, I'm going to admit, because he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him,'" Kim said, via The John Murphy Show. "We were just being very open-minded about everybody. But he really came in and really kind of elevated himself to that top position, where we said, 'Hey, listen, we need to have another talk with this guy.' "

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

So Ryan is in charge of the team and not Whaley.....just great

The biggest hole in the story is that Rex would tell him that this would be Rex's last year with the Bills. No way he would admit that to anyone even one of his coaches even if he knew it to be true.

The second biggest hole is that Rex would tell the guy he would be the next head coach when (at the time) Lynn was just a lowly assistant. That would mean Rex would have known during the offseason that Roman was going to be gone and that Lynn would be successful when he stepped in to replace Roman. Rex didn't know that and still doesn't. I am quite sure at the time you claim this conversation happened, Rex still thought that this team was going to be very competitive. And if the team was more competitive , Roman wouldn't have been canned. Therefore the story is B.S.

I call bunk on the whole story. Total horse doo doo.

Nothing would surprise me anymore so I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss this story. Playing devils advocate here, maybe Pegs did give Rex an ultimatum stating playoffs or else, Rex knew he did not have the horses to get there, told Lynn about this. This would also make sense as to why he would bring his brother in. His brother's defense last year was historically bad. Why bring him in? Because he knew this might be the last chance he could get his brother a paycheck as a NFL coach. I don't know.

I think you're interpreting the story incorrectly.

Rex is not presenting what he said to Lynn as fact, or that he has some secret insight to the future...

He is presenting an opinion...

No one knows what is really going on with the team better than Rex, and I'm sure he was predicting trouble before the season ever started. Don't forget that behind the scenes Rex (real Rex) has nothing to do with the Rex we see and hear.

I interpret the story to be Rex having come to terms with his fate, realizing this is going to be a bad season and he is unlikely to survive it, combined with a short history of events, comments, discussions, etc., that suggested to him that Lynn was very highly regarded by the Pegulas, such that he would be the likely choice as at least an interim coach.

And in fact, Rex may well have a say in that too. I can totally see an amicable split even if Rex is fired whereby he is asked for his input regarding who a good interim coach would be.

Anyone at that level would likely be professional enough to suggest someone and not want to hold back that person's career while simultaneously leaving the organization themselves.

This is simply Rex saying "Who are we kidding here? We are going to be bad this year and I'm not going to survive. And Lynn, you are as well liked as anyone in the organization to replace me when I get axed. So think wisely before you leave the organization."

That's a fair take. I was mostly going on the thread title of "Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach". That could be just his guess, but it's a long way from RB coach to HC, usually with some steps in between. So again, beware of what Rex has to say.

<deep sigh>

We've played two football games, and we're already talking about when the HC gets fired. Not even if.

THIS... is Buffalo Bills football.

The 1990s were so very long ago, but how I miss them... so let's get the band back together!

FRANK REICH 2017

Speak for yourself -- I've moved way beyond the coaching change to the draft!

That's a fair take. I was mostly going on the thread title of "Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach". That could be just his guess, but it's a long way from RB coach to HC, usually with some steps in between. So again, beware of what Rex has to say.

He's been on the fringe HC radar recently, for what it's worth.

MMQB Article

SBNation HC Speculation

He was interviewed last offseason by the Dolphins and 49ers for their vacancies. I believe he was also interviewed by the Jets to take over for Rex at that time too.

Nahhh, he's going to Mid Atlantic Sports Cable to be the color commentator for Clemson games (audience of 230,000).

Actually not that crazy of an idea. Not MASC, but a talking head on one of the network pregame shows. He has the right personality to be popular there. And the buyout makes it an even more attractive opportunity for him. He gets to sit around eating bar food and talking football and get paid well to do so ... on top of the Bills still paying him. And not have to worry about saying or doing the right thing. Doesn't get much better than that.