Bucky Gleason: Right On the Money

Keukasmallies

Do you think the Buff News writers have beef w/OBD because they have the stones to call out a crappy product and they refuse to tolerate mediocrity? And OBD feels that the Buff News should sugar-coat everything and be grateful they have an NFL team to write about? I do.

There is an ongoing feud between PSE and TBN... but it seems to have settled a lot in the past year or so. Pegula hit the scene and wanted TBN to write good things about Tim Connolly and TBN laughed at him and was overly negative about the status quo (and correct). IMO The Sabres stonewalled TBN quite a bit and it was easy to observe any news about the Sabres were reported by out of area sources (WGR was involved in this as well). Since WGR has become a partner of the Bills, they have been given more access it seems, but TBN still seems a little on the outside looking in. They gave Pegula his proper due when buying the Bills though and have been positive of the Sabres' prospects for the most part.

With that said, I agree with Bucky on this. It isnt rocket science to win in the NFL. Philly is serious about doing it. Buffalo isnt.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he had some influence when Tannebaum was there, but that influence was very much curtailed with Idzik as the two were constantly at odds.

It's not necessary to analyze in detail what happened in NY. What is evident there is that there is an order and a mature environment that exists there. Now Rex has moved his noisy act to Buffalo. What is apparent to me is that this franchise that was on an upward trajectory is not on a downward trajectory.

Rex is not known for his discipline and intelligence. It is reflected in the team he directs.

It's not necessary to analyze in detail what happened in NY. What is evident there is that there is an order and a mature environment that exists there. Now Rex has moved his noisy act to Buffalo. What is apparent to me is that this franchise that was on an upward trajectory is not on a downward trajectory.

Rex is not known for his discipline and intelligence. It is reflected in the team he directs.

Upward trajectory with Fitz as their QB? We'll see about that.

Upward trajectory with Fitz as their QB? We'll see about that.

He is in a pretty good spot and it is the case that over 18 games with them he's played pretty well. The big difference for him is the quality of receivers he's throwing to. He chucks it up like he always did, but the guys he has now can win those battles.

He is in a pretty good spot and it is the case that over 18 games with them he's played pretty well. The big difference for him is the quality of receivers he's throwing to. He chucks it up like he always did, but the guys he has now can win those battles.

His arsenal has certainly improved, but he's still the same QB who looked rather pedestrian the previous week against the Bengals. We'll see how he fares over the course of a rather brutal schedule this season.

He is getting it done and is a good stopgap, while they pile up and assess QB prospects. They also caught on to the rest of the NFL that a "mobile QB" is out of style.

Geno, Hack, and Petty don't exactly wow me as QB prospects for the future.

With that said, I agree with Bucky on this. It isnt rocket science to win in the NFL. Philly is serious about doing it. Buffalo isnt.

Yet they were criticized for trading up before the draft for the #2 pick. They got the guy they wanted, but what if they had gotten Goff instead? Big risk there.

The only reason this looks even better, is dumping bradfords money and getting the pick back.

That Francesca clip is VERY interesting, because there are certain elements of the Rex behaviour he mentions there that have repeated in Buffalo.

- Telling people things we know are not true "hey, we won the offseason", "my brother has done as good a job as any coach in this league"

- Letting someone else take the fall (Mario, Greg Roman.... it continues...)

It seems like the recipe for winning in this league is to have a buttoned up- professional- no drama type of organization. The Bills now have the polar opposite of that. But hey, on the plus side the national media has not talked this much about the Buffalo Bills since the Super Bowl years. So we're getting noticed..yay.

Do you think the Buff News writers have beef w/OBD because they have the stones to call out a crappy product and they refuse to tolerate mediocrity? And OBD feels that the Buff News should sugar-coat everything and be grateful they have an NFL team to write about? I do.

Nah, I think TBN writers have a typical smaller-city inferiority complex and are overcompensate by trying to be "hard-hitting journalists". None of them are particularly talented writers and most of them seem to take special pleasure repeating worst-case-scenario questions. Journalists are not meant to be "the voice of the people", they are tools for gaining information. I feel like there are way too many sports journalists with an inflated sense of self-worth and write more to build their own brand than to do actual journalism.

The Eagles are a poor comparison.

The Browns and Bears (besides being terrible competition) had no regular season corporate intelligence on Pedersen or Wentz whereas the Ravens and Jets had plenty on Ryan and Taylor.

The Eagles also rebooted that entire team this year jettisoning Kelly and nearly all of his hand picked players. A complete unknown.

Now that there is two weeks of tape on the Eagles, don't be surprised that Wentz all of a sudden looks like the rookie he is.

EZ for the "writers" TBN to pile on now- nothing to argue against them-

but.....to rave about the "classy" organization over in Philly is a joke- If our boy Rex had been run out of KC for some personal issues like Pederson was supposedly run out by Reid would have caused TBN to have a field day-

Do a little research there Bucky-

LMAO... I honestly do not understand why people need journalist to tell them what they already know or to justify what they think based off what they see with their own eyes

I wont read the article because i already know the Bills will need to be semi dismantled and rebuilt again. But I guess when the Bills are this terrible yet again the BS sports guys can just do what they do best .. grind the ax.

I mean if it wasn't the Eagles it would of been some other surprise team they would be comparing to.

Rex just simply needs to go..... as does the FO... and I would like the Pegulas to have 0 input in regards to coaching decisions in the future

You summarized everything as succinctly as possible. 17 years of the same garbage. It all starts w the coaching and management. They just can't seem to get it right. Watching the Bills-Jets, they have Nick Folk as their kicker. Remember the winning 53 yard field goal he kicked when he was with Dallas in 2007 on Monday nite when they recovered the onside kick. Just an awful ending. Here we are 9 years later, and nothing has changed. Different year, same results. Wash Rinse Repeat. Ryan Whaley and Brandon all need to be shown the door.

The next two games will be very telling. I don't care if its the Cardinals. We are at home. You play fast hard and mean at home. Doesn't matter how good or bad a team you have. These guys are supposed to be professionals. If Rex can not have them ready this week and next at the Pats. He needs to be fired immediately after the Patriots game.

Ugh - And yet everyone predicted the Eagles would be terrible this year. There's still a fair chance that they finish in the cellar of that division...

However their GM has been solid... They feel they found their franchise QB. They got their 1st round pick back by dumping bradford. They got out of a couple of bad contracts from the Chip Kelly era. They grabbed their old coaches disciple - who added 2 experienced coordinators. And they have some solid young talent: jordan Matthews, Cox, Agholor.

I'm not sure they've really done much in the last 2 drafts to bring a ton more though. Graham has never been the big time pass rusher they wanted, and cox hides a lot of their issues on the d-line. I think they'll likely look to shore up the rush in the next draft, as well as upgrade the secondary. Knowing our old boy Schwartz... it'll probably be linemen that he wants. He's always tried to get by with mediocre db's.

The Giants and Cowboys will bury them in that division

Exactly. They played the Browns and Bears. If we played the them we would be 2-0 too.

5th rated pass D? Played the Browns and Bears....and until Jay decided to go all Cutler they were getting carved up. Oh and he had a sprained thumb from the game in Houston.....on his throwing hand. Wentz looked good no doubt but I'd temper this entire comparison. Only portion I agree with is Brandon and Whaley need to go with Rex if this season continues to trend in this direction. He's right, they should have known about Rex...

You summarized everything as succinctly as possible. 17 years of the same garbage. It all starts w the coaching and management. They just can't seem to get it right. Watching the Bills-Jets, they have Nick Folk as their kicker. Remember the winning 53 yard field goal he kicked when he was with Dallas in 2007 on Monday nite when they recovered the onside kick. Just an awful ending. Here we are 9 years later, and nothing has changed. Different year, same results. Wash Rinse Repeat. Ryan Whaley and Brandon all need to be shown the door.

The next two games will be very telling. I don't care if its the Cardinals. We are at home. You play fast hard and mean at home. Doesn't matter how good or bad a team you have. These guys are supposed to be professionals. If Rex can not have them ready this week and next at the Pats. He needs to be fired immediately after the Patriots game.

Really? So who is gonna be the HC and DC if they fire him mid-season? You gonna go coach that team? Cmon bro I dont like Rex but firing him before the season is over isnt a good idea. Let him have this year and then if he dont turn the ship around Pegs can give him his severance check. I dont see any HC/DC that will step in after game 4 and take us to the playoffs. Might as well let Rex sink or swim and enjoy the high draft picks if we continue to regress as a team.

His arsenal has certainly improved, but he's still the same QB who looked rather pedestrian the previous week against the Bengals. We'll see how he fares over the course of a rather brutal schedule this season.

Geno, Hack, and Petty don't exactly wow me as QB prospects for the future.

Geno, Hack, and Petty are trash rite now. They better hope Fitz stays healthy and on a good streak to make the WC.

That Francesca clip is VERY interesting, because there are certain elements of the Rex behaviour he mentions there that have repeated in Buffalo.

- Telling people things we know are not true "hey, we won the offseason", "my brother has done as good a job as any coach in this league"

- Letting someone else take the fall (Mario, Greg Roman.... it continues...)

LOL All idiot Rex comments aside, if Ragland and Shaq woulda have stayed healthy and made an impact, our off-season would have looked a lot better. Reports from practice is that Ragland was really impressing coaches.

Edited by Marty McFly