Jim Schwartz defenses doing Jim Schwartz things

dezertbill

But it's not all conjecture. It's a fact that Schwartz said he was only interested in coming back if he was named HC.

It's conjecture that Hue Jackson would have talked him into staying if he was hired.

It's conjecture that Rex Ryan decided Schwartz had to go.

That's what he said. That doesn't make it true.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not all conjecture. It's a fact that Schwartz said he was only interested in coming back if he was named HC.

But riddle me this, K-9: how many HC interviews did Schwartz get? Do you think his answer might have changed after the HC interview wave passed by and he didn't get to ride it?

If I were interviewing for a top job and was asked "will you stay in a subordinate role?" my answer would be "No, my first choice would be the top job here, after that I will pursue top jobs elsewhere". That's kind of SOP.

I think the point people are trying to make is, the fact of what he said during the interview doesn't mean it's a fact that under no circumstances would he have stayed as DC

How many situations do you know of a head coach coming in and keeping an offensive or defensive coordinator? Just because you say "they would be ok with it" doesn't make that true in any sense.

Well, Rex Ryan would be one example. In 2007, he was DC of the Ravens and fired along with Billick. He interviewed for HC positions (including the Ravens) but did not receive any offers. Harbaugh was hired, and Ryan agreed to remain as Ravens DC under him.

Brian Schottenheimer would be another. in 2008, he was OC of the Jets when Mangini was fired. He interviewed for the HC position. Rex Ryan was hired. Schottenheimer turned down a HC interview with the Bills and announced he would stay as OC under Rex Ryan, which he did for 3 more seasons before switching to the Rams.

I'm sure there are others, those are just two I know about off the top of my head. And just for the record, I did not say "they would be OK with it". The words I used were "it's quite conceivable he could change his mind". To avoid confusion and the perception of misrepresenting someone's views, it's probably best not to use quotation marks unless you're actually quoting what someone actually said; the difference in meaning is subtle here, but significant.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

It's conjecture that Hue Jackson would have talked him into staying if he was hired.

It's conjecture that Rex Ryan decided Schwartz had to go.

lol cant argue with that.

He wanted to be the head man and to that end, it made a heck of a lot more sense at that time to tell the Pegulas "the only way you're getting this great defense back next year is to make me head coach" and give them something to think about, rather than "I'll be here no matter what" which makes it exceedingly easy for them to pass him over. Then once a coach is actually hired the whole picture for JS changes.

I'm not a huge Schwartz guy mind you, its not easy to maintain 3-4 outstanding defensive linemen year after year.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

lol cant argue with that.

He wanted to be the head man and to that end, it made a heck of a lot more sense at that time to tell the Pegulas "the only way you're getting this great defense back next year is to make me head coach" and give them something to think about, rather than "I'll be here no matter what" which makes it exceedingly easy for them to pass him over. Then once a coach is actually hired the whole picture for JS changes.

I'm not a huge Schwartz guy mind you, its not easy to maintain 3-4 outstanding defensive linemen year after year.

Interesting take. I hadn't really considered Schwartz leveraging his success with the defense like that. It's my understanding that Schwartz was being courteous to whomever came in as the HC. And for good reason.

:wallbash:

Could also be one of those games wherein his defenses get neutralized/exposed.

See Pats/Oak in 2014.

As stated above, Schwartz could easily have been attempting to leverage his position to be an HC again. Wouldn't everyone in his position do the same? No one walks up to their boss and says, "Aw shucks, I'd love for you to promote me but I'm totally cool with not being promoted too."

Basic logic. Whatever Schwartz said beforehand was hardly set in stone.

Yeah I dont think Schwartz should take a heap of blame when the D has a bad day either.....no more so then when they are dominante against bad offenses.

Schwartz is a good D coordinator.....it is what it is

And yet, here we are, with folks dancing because of a single half.

As stated above, Schwartz could easily have been attempting to leverage his position to be an HC again. Wouldn't everyone in his position do the same? No one walks up to their boss and says, "Aw shucks, I'd love for you to promote me but I'm totally cool with not being promoted too."

Basic logic. Whatever Schwartz said beforehand was hardly set in stone.

And yet, here we are, with folks dancing because of a single half.

Basic logic? I mean, yes, you pieced together that assumption based on a thing that COULD have happened. But there's virtually no evidence that it did or would have, but there is evidence to the contrary of what you're asserting, which you're choosing to reverse.

I guess that could be considered basic logic.

Basic logic? I mean, yes, you pieced together that assumption based on a thing that COULD have happened. But there's virtually no evidence that it did or would have, but there is evidence to the contrary of what you're asserting, which you're choosing to reverse.

I guess that could be considered basic logic.

There is no evidence to the contrary besides hearsay. I find it illogical to die on that hill. It's a possibility, just like anything else. The hiring of Rex made it all moot anyway.

Edited by jmc12290

• 2 weeks later...